Admiral Calkins

In-Flight Report and Clone Wars Preview

9 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

With ships having 'transport' and 'bombard' it seems likely that new missions to make use of these new abilities would appear.

Quite reasonable especially since a campaign box of some sort for this prequel-era stuff seems a given down the road.  

1 minute ago, bkcammack said:

Perhaps in a CW campaign for campaign-specific (green) objectives. That could be kinda cool. However, to make new objectives using these traits backwards-compatible with existing GCW ships would require reworking all the existing ships and giving them traits, which they weren’t designed around.  That’s a lot of work for established expansions. I don’t see them giving all existing ships traits any time soon. For Organized Play especially, you aren’t going to want to have objectives that won’t work with 2 out of 4 factions. 

I see your point, but I think the problem is fixable.  In a classic attack/defend scenario the separatists would bring their invasion fleet, bid for 2nd player and choose attack/defend objectives and then they'd get objective tokens for each point of invasion they achieved.  So, if player 1 was Imperials they could still defend by destroying the invading separatist fleet.

I may not be explaining myself well.

Posted (edited)

FFG implied that the existing GCW ship cards might be updated in the future -- primarily for points adjustments -- which could mean a Ship Card Collection expansion, similar to Upgrade Card Collection, and/or reprints of GCW ship expansions will have revised ship cards.

If there is a Ship Card Collection expansion, I'm much more excited about that than the Upgrade Card Collection because ships really need points re-balancing and updates.

IMO the prime example of a ship that needs revision is the Victory Star Destroyer, particularly the overpriced VSD2.

If the ship cards are updated, I think several ships should be given Salvo tokens by default, like the MC80 Assault Cruiser.

Another option I just realized is that a Ship Card Collection could add new versions of of GCW ships (similar to what the Chimaera expansion did for the ISD), not just update the 2 original versions. A new version of the CR90 or a revised CR90B would be great. And I know a lot of Imperial players want the Interdictor Combat Refit to be changed.

So I'm eager for FFG to give us more info regarding a possible Ship Card Collection in the near-future.

Edited by Revan Reborn

I bet they have faction based damage decks. Thats why they don't show them in the starter pack contents. Would make sense as droids don't be affacted by crew cards thematically.

49 minutes ago, spike2109 said:

I bet they have faction based damage decks. Thats why they don't show them in the starter pack contents. Would make sense as droids don't be affacted by crew cards thematically.

Faction damage decks in the Clone Wars Fleet Starters would be interesting, but if that were the case, I think that FFG would've mentioned new damage decks in the livestream.

4 hours ago, xanderf said:

Sequel trilogy?  White (FO) and Orange (Resistance), surely, no?

I definitely think that orange is a possibility for Resistance squadrons (and would look really cool on the table), but I have to stick with black for the First Order. Their TIE fighters are black (with white panels, admittedly), Kylo's shuttle is black, the Knights of Ren ride around in a black shuttle... about the only ship that isn't black is the troop transports, and that's Imperial grey.

42 minutes ago, Revan Reborn said:

Faction damage decks in the Clone Wars Fleet Starters would be interesting, but if that were the case, I think that FFG would've mentioned new damage decks in the livestream.

It might be why they weren't shown. Might not be ready, not approved, etc. Enough basic components from the original starter set were shown. Seems strange to miss one.

Damage decks also aren't in the graphic for the Core Set. They may just be considered too boring.

Maybe they'll have new graphics (along with all the alt-art ones we've been getting recently), but having a whole new damage deck seems a bit awkward.

The real question is what size the cards are. Maybe they'll be like the pre-order X-Wing ones, with fancy graphics on them as well as the text.

Posted (edited)

Reactive Gunnery looks as though it would be really good on the Arquitens Command Cruiser and the Interdictor (with Tua).  Especially the Interdictor with Heavy Ion Emplacements.

Attacked by enemy ship, use Reactive Gunnery to salvo, trigger and exhaust HIE.  Activate ship, un-exhaust HIE, fire at enemy ship, trigger and exhaust HIE.

Edited by flatpackhamster

29 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

Reactive Gunnery looks as though it would be really good on the Arquitens Command Cruiser and the Interdictor (with Tua).  Especially the Interdictor with Heavy Ion Emplacements.

Attacked by enemy ship, use Reactive Gunnery to salvo, trigger and exhaust HIE.  Activate ship, un-exhaust HIE, fire at enemy ship, trigger and exhaust HIE.

Yes, I think more Imperial players will be running Arquitens Command Cruisers after Reactive Gunnery is released than they ever did before.

The Interdictor is another good option with Tua and Reactive Gunnery, but you'll need Screed to ensure your Interdictor-Reactive Gunnery-HIE scenario works every time. With only 2 Blue dice, the odds are against the Salvo attack getting a Crit. Whereas with Screed, you can always spend a die to change a Blue to a Crit face and trigger HIE.

Just now, Revan Reborn said:

Yes, I think more Imperial players will be running Arquitens Command Cruisers after Reactive Gunnery is released than they ever did before.

The Interdictor is another good option with Tua and Reactive Gunnery, but you'll need Screed to ensure your Interdictor-Reactive Gunnery-HIE scenario works every time. With only 2 Blue dice, the odds are against the Salvo attack getting a Crit. Whereas with Screed, you can always spend a die to change a Blue to a Crit face and trigger HIE.

You can't trigger anything but default crits off a salvo.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:47 AM, Grumbleduke said:

Damage decks also aren't in the graphic for the Core Set. They may just be considered too boring.

Maybe they'll have new graphics (along with all the alt-art ones we've been getting recently), but having a whole new damage deck seems a bit awkward.

The real question is what size the cards are. Maybe they'll be like the pre-order X-Wing ones, with fancy graphics on them as well as the text.

There are Damage Decks in þe starters. FFG confirmed this later. It was an oversight not to include in the article.

1 hour ago, flatpackhamster said:

No special crits on salvo

Caveat: I'm an X-Winger not an Armadan.  I know a little, not much.

So this got mentioned in an X-Wing preview about Tri-Fighters: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/7/30/experience-the-saga/

"Unhindered by the frailty of an organic pilot, Droid Tri-Fighters are capable of radical acceleration and acute maneuvering. Fitted with an Interceptor Booster or fired from the missile tubes of Separatist capital ships, they can engage hostiles well beyond the range of conventionally deployed starfighters."

So there's some musing whether the upcoming Tri-Fighter should be launched-like-a-missile from huge ships in X-Wing (which aren't huge by Armada standards... nothing really bigger than a Raider).  Now, it doesn't necessarily make sense in the scale of X-Wing, even in Epic... but it could be really sweet in Armada scale.

Maybe something half-crossed with an Ignition arc?  Instead of a weapon measuring range from some further point, fighters which kind of "appear" after getting launched instead of attacking normally?  I'm sure folks have wanted to deploy fighters mid-battle for ages, but kinda no Star Wars ship has exactly been a BSG Colonial Viper that literally gets launched out a tube.

1DHvVP7.gif522a79a2de050aee9cc3efaa6122178d.gif

Not a prediction, juts an "It'd be cool if..."

21 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm sure folks have wanted to deploy fighters mid-battle for ages, but kinda no Star Wars ship has exactly been a BSG Colonial Viper that literally gets launched out a tube.

We do have one upgrade that enables it (and one objective.)  However, both have a pretty severe range limitation; a version with more range for, say, squads with swarm would be very interesting.

rapid-launch-bays.png