Jump to content
Admiral Calkins

In-Flight Report and Clone Wars Preview

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, mattmaclaren31 said:

So excited to see what bombard means!!

It suggests to me that we'll be getting planetary assault objectives, with points awarded for successful bombardment or assault.  (Bombard AND Transport imply that to me).  A ship's squadron value might be its assault value, and you receive a number of objective tokens for each assault point you score.

That would probably mean that existing Imperial ships would need a way of adding those keywords to some of their ships. Perhaps rebel ships would too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

I've got some actual points in some pictures here:

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2020/07/more-pictures.html

Biggs, thank you for putting pictures up.  I have a question.  In picture 3 I can see the armed cruiser card which seems to have red dice at the side, black flak.  Then picture 4 shows the model base, and it's got blue/black at the side, double blue flak. 

I may be incorrectly eyeballing but I can't work it out.  Can you shed any light?

Edited by flatpackhamster
It's 5am and I am so, so tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

X3qSgFQ.png

I noticed that the text bar below the ship title reads "Clone. Bombard. Transport." Since there are periods between each word, those aren't ship descriptions; I believe those are like keywords. And I think we finally know what the "Clone only" rule means. The only strange thing is that both Acclamators have the "Clone" keyword, so they're both the same. Perhaps one or both of the Consular Cruiser versions won't have the Clone keyword. I wonder what the "Bombard" keyword means? Perhaps it's because the Acclamator-II has the Salvo defense token? Or perhaps it can use Black dice beyond Close range?

Based on the upgrade slots, it appears that the Acclamator-I is intended to be a carrier and the Acclamator-II is a destroyer. Also, this pic revealed the Acclamator has 7 Hull, one more than the Munificent.

Another pic showed the Acclamator-I has Squadron 3, and with 2 Offensive Retrofits (like an ISD1), it can equip EHB to increase squadron activations to 4, and can equip Boosted Comms to increase its range. Although, since the Acclamator-I is a Red and Black dice ship, Republic players will probably try to use it at close range, making Boosted Comms unnecessary. Reserve Hangar Deck would be another good option. Of course, there will be new Off. Ret. upgrades that can be equipped.

The Acclamator-II omits both Offensive Retrofits in favour of a Defensive Retrofit, so I think it will be more geared towards combat. The half-obscured ship card on the left shows 1 Black die; presumably there are 2 more dice in the side arc's attack pool. I'm guessing they're 2 Red dice, same as the Acclamator-II. Like the Acclamator-I, the II has a Turbolaser slot and Ordnance slot, which is surprising. Based on that, the Acclamator-II might not be a Red & Blue dice ship, differentiating it from the VSD2. If the Acclamator-II doesn't have any Blue dice, Accuracy's are going to be rare. I suppose that's what Clone Gunners will be for.

See the source image

Finally, the Acclamator is a Speed 3 ship, but it only gets 1 yaw on 1 segment, so it's faster than a VSD but just as unwieldy. The Acclamator is an interesting contrast to the Munificent, which is only Speed 2, but it gets 1 yaw on the 1st segment and 2 yaw on the second. Unless the Acclamator has a ship title that boosts its maneuverability, it will need to use Nav commands most of the time, or it's probably going to get outflanked by Munificents and Hardcells, especially by Munificents equipped with Engine Techs.

Edited by Revan Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

Biggs, thank you for putting pictures up.  I have a question.  In picture 3 I can see the armed cruiser card which seems to have red dice at the side, black flak.  Then picture 4 shows the model base, and it's got blue/black at the side, double blue flak. 

I may be incorrectly eyeballing but I can't work it out.  Can you shed any light?

Armed Cruiser Card in picture 3 is just one side of the card, behind it is a 2nd Charger C70, not an Armed Cruiser.

Blue/Black looks accurate for the Armed Cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

Armed Cruiser Card in picture 3 is just one side of the card, behind it is a 2nd Charger C70, not an Armed Cruiser.

Blue/Black looks accurate for the Armed Cruiser.

Oh I see now, the cards at the back standing up are identical.  I am such a div.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the "Clone" Keyword:

The GAR Fleet did not only use CLone Troops. I guess we will see for Example Naboo Ships, operated not by clones. So this makes perfect sense to me, that both Acclmators are Clone Ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Suermel said:

Regarding the "Clone" Keyword:

The GAR Fleet did not only use CLone Troops. I guess we will see for Example Naboo Ships, operated not by clones. So this makes perfect sense to me, that both Acclmators are Clone Ships.

If they are going to do a sort of sub-faction thing with the Naboo, I hope they do others, Mon Cal perhaps etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played armada in over 2 years but this reveal has me all kinds of excited. I just feel the clone wars is a better setting for a space war game. Plus the ship designs are awesome. The pricing i'm seeing isn't great, but it's workable with retailer discounts. There is a lot of potential here and I hope they don't screw it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these straight up starter sets? The three ship packs are shown with dials and dice and a range ruler and a maneuver tool but no damage deck and what seems to be inadequate defense tokens. Yet there is a dial pack as a stand alone expansion but doesn't seem to be more tokens with it. And there is the upgrade cards pack which doesn't seem to have tokens or a damage deck. Do we just have to wait till the Armada presentation for the explanation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Are these straight up starter sets?

Yes. From what they said on Stream, and the images we've got, they are faction-specific Core Sets, with everything you need to play the game (up to 250 points, maybe you could get to 350 with the squadron pack).

It will be interesting to see what kind of rules reference the packs come with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of rules reference the packs come with.

My guess is we are going the way of Legion and will have an online living document for the Rules Reference.  No more FAQ and flipping between 2 documents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Yes. From what they said on Stream, and the images we've got, they are faction-specific Core Sets, with everything you need to play the game (up to 250 points, maybe you could get to 350 with the squadron pack).

It will be interesting to see what kind of rules reference the packs come with.

Thanks. Haven't been able to make time to view the video. Not what I was hoping for with this as I don't need all the not the ships and ship cards and upgrade cards from another pair of starters. Understandable but not what I was hoping for. Did they mention whether the starter set would be the only availability for the ships? Did they mention anything about cards only in these faction starters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

Is it just me or does the Acclamators look like better versions of VSD-1s?

Cheaper, and arguably better. Comparing the Acclamator 1 and VSD 1, the Acclamator is seven points cheaper, gains one forward shield, loses one side shield, loses one hull, and loses one black die out of the front. Same Command/Squad/Engineering, Brace/Redirect/Slavo versus Brace/2 x Redirect. But it also picks up a second Offensive Upgrade and it's faster. Both have garbage maneuvering. But that seven points cheaper is big. Want a carrier that can tank a little bit? Now you have a Squadron 4 ship with Boosted Comms for two points more than a VSD 1 without either upgrade.

 

I mean, both suffer from lack of a Defensive Upgrade on the 1 variant, but we don't know what Transport does.

 

Comparing the II variants is tougher, because we don't know the dice or points cost of the Acclamator II. I would assume it's the same number of dice (5) but we don't know color. There have to be at least some black dice, because it has the Ordnance slot, and maybe still Red because of the Turbolaser slot (although the MC30c Torpedo still has a Turbolaser upgrade), but it picks up a Defensive slot, which will make it tankier than the VSD II. I would also assume FFG will learn from its mistake and not make the I to II bump a whole 9 points like with the VSDs, so I would expect to see this almost 10 points cheaper than the Vic II. Plus we don't know what "Bombard" does.

 

The Consulars look like a tweaked CR90 and will likely fill the same role. But note that the Armed Consular has 2 Blue flak on a 37 point ship. Even if you take them with no upgrades, that's 74pts that has a decent chance of mopping up Vulture Droid swarms from Medium Range. They'll be trickier to use against ships, because they're Blue/Black, so you're talking hitting close like Raiders but with fewer dice and no Brace token. They're also a touch less maneuverable than CR90s. The Charger looks like it trades the CR90As Red/Blue out the side for 2 x Red, but drops its flak from Blue to Black, and the second Evade for a Contain, which makes it less useful with TRCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know about you guys, but I wanna try Expanded Hanger and Reserve Hanger Deck on the Acclamator.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the C70 or was it harder to see. While the Acclamator is the bigger ship, its good to know what all is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, reegsk said:

But note that the Armed Consular has 2 Blue flak on a 37 point ship.

I think that it's just a reflection of the peg or something like that and it has only 1. But if it has 2 would be brutal.

EDIT: looked at the video and surely looks like it has 2 blue, but it's weird as both dice seems to be side by side when the actual ships that have 2 blue flak have one practically on top of the other.

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I think that it's just a reflection of the peg or something like that and it has only 1. But if it has 2 would be brutal.

EDIT: looked at the video and surely looks like it has 2 blue, but it's weird as both dice seems to be side by side when the actual ships that have 2 blue flak have one practically on top of the other.

New card layout probably is resulting in some changes.  I was about to post this to show the 2 blue before your edit, here it is anyway...

dhk9m5h.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

I dont know about you guys, but I wanna try Expanded Hanger and Reserve Hanger Deck on the Acclamator.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the C70 or was it harder to see. While the Acclamator is the bigger ship, its good to know what all is there.

https://swasector47.blogspot.com/2020/07/in-flight-report-republic-hot-takes.html?m=1
 

I went through the YouTube video this morning and took a bunch of pictures and tied them together with a little bit of my thoughts sprinkled in. C70’s is about halfway through the post. Hope it helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Atromix said:

I am beyond excited to finally see some ships, I am a bit upset that they are altering the card sizes however. I hate double sided cards and the fact that ship cards are getting smaller and upgrade cards bigger has put a bit of a damper on my hype unfortunately.

100% agree. I love the tarot sized ship cards, and the small upgrade cards. IMO the layout looks better on the small ones. 

Anyway, looking forward tomorrows show! 

Edited by sasska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody (I believe) has mentioned the new squadron colors! I actually quite like them. I can't say I'm surprised, but at the same time, I didn't know how they were going to distinguish (or if they were going to bother) the new squadrons from old. I really dig the new colored plastics. I suspect if we ever get the sequel trilogy (I will never not hold out hope), we'll get black and brown (or perhaps orange) squadrons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Nobody (I believe) has mentioned the new squadron colors! I actually quite like them. I can't say I'm surprised, but at the same time, I didn't know how they were going to distinguish (or if they were going to bother) the new squadrons from old. I really dig the new colored plastics. I suspect if we ever get the sequel trilogy (I will never not hold out hope), we'll get black and brown (or perhaps orange) squadrons.

I agree. That was in the back of my mind, but I focused on other bits. I think it was a good choice on their part, and it makes them no more difficult to paint (as they should get primed anyway). It'll make it easier to identify them in big scrums against GCW fighters, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...