Admiral Calkins

In-Flight Report and Clone Wars Preview

33 minutes ago, geek19 said:

"Roll" swap your left and right shield zones

I was watching ESB again and noticed that during the scene where ISDs are closing on the Millennium Falcon from different directions that in the ensuing collision, one of the star destroyers is banking (presumably to avoid a worse collision).

14 minutes ago, Norell said:

Someone please record it or make rich notes about it because I won't be able to get home from work in time :(

FFG posts recordings to their YouTube channel right after. 

On 7/22/2020 at 4:07 PM, bkcammack said:

Has there ever been a wave that didn’t have some rules changes? 

Wave 2-Contain, Rogue

Wave 3-Fleet support and flotillas

Wave 4- experimental retrofits

Wave 5-Relay, Cloak, Fleet Commands

Wave 6- Boarding Parties

Wave 7- Assault

SSD- Too much to discuss here

Wave 8- “Extreme Range” and ignition attacks. 

I don’t know if the new rules will be minor things like above or if they will be a major overhaul. I think it will probably mostly be a few new mechanics, and not affect existing ships too much 

While true, what's interesting is that the Legion and X-Wing steams do not mention rules despite the fact they follow kind of the same pattern of "new wave, new rules."

7 hours ago, codytx2 said:

Anyone else now thinking the  "dial upgrade pack" isn't for new players but to convert existing ones? Maybe we are getting a new command?

I hope not supply issues thst we currently have mean some people wont be able to get them there for excluding them from playing.

I think they are going to focus on making the pace of the game faster. So I would expect some changes in deployment, squadron movement and engagement, perhaps obstacle interactions. Probably MoV calculation, huge ship rule changes (because of Lucrehulks), and probably some card/points rebalance.

29 minutes ago, Norell said:

I think they are going to focus on making the pace of the game faster. So I would expect some changes in deployment, squadron movement and engagement, perhaps obstacle interactions. Probably MoV calculation, huge ship rule changes (because of Lucrehulks), and probably some card/points rebalance.

So in other words change most of the rules?

47 minutes ago, Norell said:

Why would they make the game faster? In my opinion the game pace is pretty good. I enjoy the slow pace of the game, it lines up pretty well with the fact that we're playing with capital ships, not nimble fighters. 

1 hour ago, Norell said:

75mins is quick enough, no?

4 hours ago, Norell said:

Aside from squadron movement and engagement, how would those other changes make the game go faster? 

I‘m quite certain that there won‘t be any changes to chore mechanics. If there are new rules it will probably be some token managing for „Clones“-units and some AI-shenanigans for „Droids“, similar to what has been seen in Legion. Maybe the Force playing a new role, like in X-wing. We will see a major change for some of the more popular and unpopular upgrades. But this won‘t be an Armada 2.0. 

So how will the clone keyword work I wonder?

I mean if it was a faction thing you would simply make the card faction specific. 

Does this suggest some republic ships will not be crewed by clones? 

15 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

I mean if it was a faction thing you would simply make the card faction specific. 

We‘ve seen the Clone Gunners. It‘s „Clone only“, so I would guess there will be not only „Clone ships“ or „Clone slots“ in this faction. And I suppose there will be different upgrades like „Clone Navigators“, „Clone Flight Controllers“ which allow synergies and/or token sharing.

CIS-droids should be cheaper but more „stupid“. For example „Droid Gunners“ only „work“ if you give them a CF-command.

We will see at the end of the week.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, Bertie Wooster said:

Aside from squadron movement and engagement, how would those other changes make the game go faster? 

Only those were supposed to speed up the game, with obstacle interaction included (so players don't spend so much time calculating when they move them for example). The rest were supposed to be only topics that may come up.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, ISD Avenger said:

My guess is that it's related to the Commander of the fleet and/or the Officer equipped to each ship. If you choose a Clone Commander, like Cody or Wolffe, you can use "Clones Only" upgrade cards on all of your ships. Or if the Officer equipped to a ship is a Clone, that ship only can equip "Clones Only" upgrade cards.

Or...

Perhaps the two versions of each Republic ship will be a Clone version and possibly a Jedi version? It sounds strange, I know, but consider that the Venator was commonly referred to as a "Jedi Cruiser". Perhaps they're taking that literally, and a Jedi Cruiser will have Force points, in addition to the standard Command, Squadron, and Engineering values; and those Force points are for using certain Force powers.

That's my best guess... but I don't think it makes much sense because a Venator attack cruiser had a crew of 7400 and virtually all of them were Clones. A Venator might have 1 Jedi in command. Does that make it a Jedi Cruiser? No, IMO.

It would make more sense if Jedi were Commanders, Officers, and Boarding Teams, and they'd have Force powers that could be used by their ship or fleet.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, Revan Reborn said:

My guess is that it's related to the Commander of the fleet and/or the Officer equipped to each ship. If you choose a Clone Commander, like Cody or Wolffe, you can use "Clones Only" upgrade cards on all of your ships. Or if the Officer equipped to a ship is a Clone, that ship only can equip "Clones Only" upgrade cards.

That sounds plausible. And not a bad idea either 👍🏻

On 7/27/2020 at 3:51 AM, Revan Reborn said:

Perhaps the two versions of each Republic ship will be a Clone version and possibly a Jedi version?

More likely, some ships are "regular" crewed, and some are "clone" crewed, after all, not all of the Republic fleet was crewed by clones.

I wonder if they'll add a boarding mechanic beyond the Boarding Teams/Engineers we currently have? There are several times in the CW series where both sides board enemy ships, whether it's Clones on LAATs or Droids on their breaching craft that punch through the hull.

9 hours ago, Wintercross said:

More likely, some ships are "regular" crewed, and some are "clone" crewed, after all, not all of the Republic fleet was crewed by clones.

Technically, true, but the vast majority of the GAR's warships were crewed by Clones, and by most accounts, the Clones were superior naval officers and enlisted because of their rigorous training regimen, so presumably the Clone versions of ships would be the superior, higher-points versions, which would allow the Clones-only upgrades to be equipped.

I suppose that would make sense... but the Clones-only upgrades must be incredible, because Armada has plenty of great upgrade cards that non-Clone Republic ships could freely equip.

Regardless, I'm sticking to my Clone Commander/Officer theory for equipping Clones-only upgrade cards.

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

I think everyone is making a way bigger deal of the “clone only” wording. Armada already has upgrades that are locked to multiple specific ships, like Mon Cal Exodus Fleet or the 7th Fleet Star Destroyer titles. We’ve already seen some ships, like the Onager, where one version would work with the 7th fleet upgrade and the other won’t. I think it’ll just be some variants have “clone” in the title and others won’t. 

Im sure it has been suggested, but I would like a extra card/cardboard in my Republic starter that will let me field my Pelta in addition to whatever repaint they will eventually offer.

Much like the allowed Z95 and Y-wings in both Rebel and Scum X-Wing lists regardless of model.