Nsara

Summer 2020 X-Wing Survey

Hello everyone, I am running out of summer, but the Summer 2020 X-Wing survey is now released.

This edition we are covering some general topics, but especially

• Covid-19

• Online Play

• Factions (as every other survey)

• Hopes and Dreams for future content

and more! Only 20 questions to answer, although you may need to check your YASB/LaunchBay Next collections to answer the one about how many ships you own. I will, as the last two surveys, be making infographics with the data collected from the survey and will post those on my blog, Friday Night X-Wing! FYI this is possibly the last survey of 2020, as I am barely recovered from the last one, and I am kinda waiting for local stores to be open so we can get more local store feedback.

If possible, please share the survey with other people who play X-Wing Miniatures game, as I am trying to get as wide a reach for this as possible.

I will be running the survey for about a month, so PLEASE DO IT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.

We are up to 343 responses as of this posting, but hoping to get as many as possible, so I am begging you, please share in your local facebook groups, discord servers, slack servers etc.

A few quick statistics I am sharing as a Work in Progress:

Online Play

• 52.8% of people have used Tabletop Simulator online
  • 48.1% of people have used FlyCasual online
  • 19.8% of people have used VASSAL
  • 1.5% of people have played via Zoom/Skype or other videoconferencing stuff.
  • 23.9% have not played online

COVID-19 Online Events

• 44.9% of people have not played online during 2020
  • 29.9% of people have played online during COVID but not in a tournament/league
  • 13.4% have played in a league/tournament during COVID
  • 11.9% have played in 3 or more leagues/tournaments

Peoples willingness to return to FLGSes for play during COVID-19

• 51.9% would not consider playing in a local game store until healthcare organizations agree it is safe
  • 12.8% would consider playing in around September
  • 11.6% would considering playing near the end of 2020
  • 23.8% are already playing in stores or would if they had the opportunity

Tournaments during COVID

• 73.3% would not play in a 40+ player event until healthcare orgs agree it is safe
  • 9.9% would consider going near the end of 2020
  • 7.2% would go around September
  • 9.6% would go this weekend if there was an event they could make

First Choice Most Wanted Ships for wave 9/10:

• The Razorcrest - 24.1%
  • ETA-2 Actis Interceptor - 13%
  • Droid Tri Fighter - 7.5%
  • TIE/rb Brute - 7%

Second Choice Most Wanted Ships for wave 9/10:

• The Razorcrest - 14.5%
  • Droid Tri Fighter - 8.4%
  • ETA-2 Actis Interceptor - 7.5%
  • The Ark Angel - 6.6%

13 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Oof!!! Really wanted to pick more than one leak excited option! I wish the squadron packs were all one option, cuz... yes, plz. 

Yeah, I am most excited for those as well. How many A-Wing pilots will Phoenix Squadron have? If it is less than 2, the whole pack is a thematic miss, as Star Wars: Rebels showed that Phoenix Squadron seemed to be 80% A-Wings and a good portion of them died.

9 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Oof!!! Really wanted to pick more than one leak excited option! I wish the squadron packs were all one option, cuz... yes, plz. 

Yes, all this.

I want all the republic leaks to be true; I want all the squadron packs to be true. I answered a primary and secondary faction but truth is I fly a little of all of them in some degree.

@JBFancourt yup, I do a little of everything but I think my main factions are Republic and First Order, though Scum has a massive soft spot for me as it was my first faction of the game back when I started in 1.0.

I think it’s probably like GAR -> FO -> Scum -> Rebel -> resist -> empire -> CIS.

maybe empire is higher? But these days when I reach for ties I just wind up with the First Order anyway. I’m sure when there’s new Ace packs I’ll try the empire more again.

I think my two favorite ships right now to play in the game are the Delta 7 and the Tie SF. 

10 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Yes, all this.

I want all the republic leaks to be true; I want all the squadron packs to be true. I answered a primary and secondary faction but truth is I fly a little of all of them in some degree.

All the leaks sound pretty good. I am happy to see em. 

17 hours ago, RebelRogue said:

I’ve tried the Solo AI, I think it needs work, but I’m still using it as well.

I need to get printer ink but I plan on trying them this week.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:35 AM, Wrecker01 said:

No rebel ships in the Most wanted ship list. It's kindda sad. I would like the YT-2000 Otana or the Stinger Mantis from Jedi fallen order someday.

What would the Stinger Mantis shtick be? There is a few crew carriers for the Rebels already at this point. No official dimensions on the ship, but my guess would be medium base when comparing the floor plan to the floor plans of the YT-1300, YT2400, and VCX-100. Perhaps a ship that excels at going straight, but is average to worse at turn and banks? Landing config?

Greez Dritus, Cere Junda, and generic pilot would likely fly it. Cal Kestus, Nightsister Merrin, and BD-1 crew. 

On 7/20/2020 at 10:35 AM, Wrecker01 said:

No rebel ships in the Most wanted ship list. It's kindda sad. I would like the YT-2000 Otana or the Stinger Mantis from Jedi fallen order someday.

Oh man the Otana, you just gave me a trip to memory lane...

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, TasteTheRainbow said:

Is this broken down by country? My answers re:COVID would be quite different if I wasn’t in a country that seems to be failing on purpose.

TBH even in countries that have gotten past the worst, big events are probably still not a great idea... 

But yea, huzzah America. Number one in yet another terrible stat. 

Edited by Timathius

16 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

If they are in New Zealand: sure. Switzerland: maybe, and wear a mask. USA: lol no.

So yeah, that question has entirely different meanings based on region...

Yeah I was at an event last weekend (Perth, Australia) but no way would I have been at an event in the US, had one been running

We are now up to 826 responses, so we have blown the previous survey out of the water, but are still lagging behind the Winter survey. To be fair, the winter survey was done before COVID-19 started....

On 7/20/2020 at 6:25 AM, TasteTheRainbow said:

Is this broken down by country? My answers re:COVID would be quite different if I wasn’t in a country that seems to be failing on purpose.

Based on the findings of the Spring Survey its not terribly likely I am going to break things down by country as 64.2% of people surveyed were in the United States, 9.5% were in the UK, and 7.3%, were in Canada.

That would mean that 81% of the people would be from only 3 countries, so a country by country breakdown would be a lot of work for very little data.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:35 AM, Wrecker01 said:

I was considering the Stinger Mantis, but unfortunately its design is... probably pretty horrible for making a miniature of. Especially a 1:270ish miniature. It's spar/fin thing would break reaaaally easily. Also most other Rebel ships that people were suggesting were really obscure Legends ships... and I kinda doubt that we are going to be seeing much in the way of Legends anything as new releases in X-Wing.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:31 AM, GreenDragoon said:

If they are in New Zealand: sure. Switzerland: maybe, and wear a mask. USA: lol no.

So yeah, that question has entirely different meanings based on region...

USA Number One! In anti maskers...

I am not planning on going to events till at least September and only a couple tiny events where masks are required and there is a hard cap on attendees.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:09 PM, Wolfshead said:

Submitted.  Personally, I am interested in a few reprints from 1.0 before some of the newer stuff.  (Alpha-Class Starwing?)

Alpha-class Star Wing was the top requested reprint in the Spring Survey with around 30% of the total vote. FFG has possibly seen the survey through some means and I hope they take it to heart. They have said they are not concentrating very hard on reprints at this point though since many things are still available in 1.0 boxes and reprints haven't been selling super well.

https://fridaynightxwing.wordpress.com/2020/06/13/spring2020-infographics/

Posted (edited)

I noticed a methodology issue in the favorite list archetype (it presumes those are all the archetypes, and while there are some, while not competitive, may be someone's favorite, like I really like flying synergistic jank), and it assumes you are excited about specific upcoming products and want specific ships to come in from a list.

I had... ok backup answers, but I woulda preferred to say different things for those, because it assumes a positive desire for these specific things. I am somewhat excited for the future of X-wing, but those questions about the future felt off because I am not hype for much of any product and I definitely don't really care about any of the ships from that list aside from an absract 'nice for other people to have I guess' sorta way.

I believe that survey software allows an "Other" on dropdown to create a manual entry field. Though that may be rough on you for data collection, so I get not including it.

Edited by dezzmont

On 8/1/2020 at 11:39 PM, dezzmont said:

I noticed a methodology issue in the favorite list archetype (it presumes those are all the archetypes, and while there are some, while not competitive, may be someone's favorite, like I really like flying synergistic jank), and it assumes you are excited about specific upcoming products and want specific ships to come in from a list.

I had... ok backup answers, but I woulda preferred to say different things for those, because it assumes a positive desire for these specific things. I am somewhat excited for the future of X-wing, but those questions about the future felt off because I am not hype for much of any product and I definitely don't really care about any of the ships from that list aside from an absract 'nice for other people to have I guess' sorta way.

I believe that survey software allows an "Other" on dropdown to create a manual entry field. Though that may be rough on you for data collection, so I get not including it.

Yeah, I am probably going to refuse to use write in options for anything going forwards... its just a nightmare because people really really suck at spelling. I have like 5 different spellings of several different write in responses and some of it is spelling issues and some is people omitting or adding things like colons.

I generally include a "none of these" option for questions, but I try to keep questions to 6 or fewer answers, otherwise it takes a LOT longer to go through the data. There is also very little value in sorting out answers with less than like 4% of the total. An example of this is going to be the wonderful nightmare of the "Most Wanted Ships" Question, which is... well... look at it...

Also please note, the survey is closing on August 14th. Please take the survey ASAP. We are up to 868 responses so far. TELL YOUR FRIENDS/FAMILY/Anyone you know who plays X-Wing even semi regularly!

ships wanted.png

On 8/1/2020 at 11:39 PM, dezzmont said:

Oh and also I was advised by several people to not include the term "Jank" in the favorite list archetype... because there is a weird love affair many people have with the word, many seeing it as endearing. Many smaller polls/surveys that have been done see more than 50% of people choosing Jank if it is presented as some sort of option, because people would rather see themselves as someone who does silly combo things instead of oppressive meta lists.

Again, there is a "I cannot choose" option for people who refuse to choose one of the presented options.