Sign in to follow this  
Bloodycaesar

Upgrading without removing Card ?

Hello !

So let's say if I have Lucky! lvl 0 in my deck.

Then I want to keep Lucky! lvl 0 in my deck and purchase Lucky lvl 2.

I can spend 2 exp to add Lucky lvl 2 to my deck and removing let's say Knife.

At this point I didn't upgrade or remove Lucky! lvl 0 and have now 2 x Lucky in my deck.

Is my comprehension ok ?

Thank you

Yes.  Especially if you only have 1 Core Set, this is fairly typical.  Same thing can happen with Beat Cop (0) and Beat Cop (2).

The only thing you can't do is include more than 2 copies of Lucky! by title (e.g. including both 2x Level 0 and 2x Level 2 Lucky!)

Assuming you built your starter deck with one copy of Lucky lvl 0, you would have to spend 3 xp.  One xp to replace another lvl 0 card with Lucky lvl 0, and 2 to upgrade the original.

Now if you are playing with rogue cards, like a rogue with a survivor subclass or vice versa (if one doesn't exist, give FFG time), and you have Adaptable, then you could get away with only spending 2 xp

Whoa ok so this is different then I assumed.

I thought I could buy Lucky lvl 2 for 2 exp and that's it.

But it seems you are saying that I need to Upgrade Lucky! 0 to level 2 for 2 exp and then buying back Lucky! lvl 0 for 1 exp for a total of 3.

Is there any example in the Rules/FAQ that goes in that sense ?

Posted (edited)

Faranim is correct.

You do not need to have the level 0 version of a card in order to get to it's higher level version.

You can immediately purchase any card (in this case Lucky lvl 2) by spending the appropriate amount of XP (2 XP), and then remove any other card from your deck in order to maintain your deck size (this can be the Lucky lvl 0 card, but it does not have to be that specific card).

Upgrading is optional, not mandatory.

See the Rules Reference, p. 5, "Campaign Play":

When purchasing a higher level version of a card with the same title, the investigator may choose to “upgrade” that card by paying only the difference in experience (to a minimum of 1) between the two cards and removing the lower level version of the card from his or her deck.

Edited by Jekothalep

Addendum to the above: there are a handful of Seeker cards that require upgrading from the lower level version, but that's a small exception, and the cards have the requirement on them.  Most higher level cards don't even have lower levels.