Sign in to follow this  
Soakman

Blob Story Rewards (spoilers and questions)

Posted (edited)

Hello friends, we just played and beat Blob, but we were really excited about the possible story rewards from the scenario before we started... only to find that they only appear to be obtainable if you play Epic Multiplayer mode.

Now here is the problem...who is going to take campaign decks through epic multiplayer mode? I would imagine you are going to take the standalone deck-building route if you are going to an epic multiplayer event, because it seems weird and unusual to not prepare a deck specifically for the scenario in the case of a massive event.

However, if you play as a side scenario, as far as I can tell, you will never earn any story assets? The blob doesn't even have any victory points, so even though we won in a non-epic stand-alone, we got all of 3 xp out of the scenario and no story assets. If it would have been during campaign play, you have to pay 2 xp each just to attempt the scenario (for a net xp gain of 1), and if you fail, it ends your campaign.

Something seems very off to me about this. Is there some way to incorporate the story cards and story assets into a non-epic game that wouldn't imbalance it? Am I missing something?

(PS: It was very fun as a standalone non-epic, mechanic-wise. I just don't see it hitting the table during a campaign if you can't earn anything and may possibly lose everything)

Edited by Soakman

The story cards aren't epic-exclusive. You get the exact same set of "sidequests" in non-epic (and, incidentally, you get 1 VP for each sidequest completed in addition to the story asset); the only difference is you don't sync up your sidequests with other groups. The instructions in Act 3b will explicitly tell you to draw a random story card.

Excellent. Thank you. Somehow we missed that text. We added the clues but didn’t see the other bit. That is much better.

2nd question. While we DID win (sans side quest), Agnes had her soul devoured which would have been added to our campaign log. Is that just for the flavor/lols?

Posted (edited)

We played and beat it with four investigators and earned two story assets. They were connected to the story cards that you can resolve. 
We also played Agnes, but she kept getting the bob to eat himself! 

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. Bummer we overlooked that text on 3b, but there will be replays. We did 3p with an Agnes (tried out the shining trapozohedron, and wow), Ursula, and Tony.

I think it may have been my luckiest game yet. A perfect draw not needing a mulligan, Shards of the void pulled 0's 4 times against the heart (and combo'd with Twila, I never ran out of charges the whole game between her and 2 enraptured's I brought), and managed to snag extra clues 3 times with lvl 4 sixth sense.

Tony had his hand devoured, which was a bummer, but also one of his weaknesses. And I (Agnes?) had my soul devoured, which seems to do nothing significant unless there's a repercussion on a story card somewhere.

Edited by Soakman

4 hours ago, Soakman said:

Thanks guys. Bummer we overlooked that text on 3b, but there will be replays. We did 3p with an Agnes (tried out the shining trapozohedron, and wow), Ursula, and Tony.

I think it may have been my luckiest game yet. A perfect draw not needing a mulligan, Shards of the void pulled 0's 4 times against the heart (and combo'd with Twila, I never ran out of charges the whole game between her and 2 enraptured's I brought), and managed to snag extra clues 3 times with lvl 4 sixth sense.

Tony had his hand devoured, which was a bummer, but also one of his weaknesses. And I (Agnes?) had my soul devoured, which seems to do nothing significant unless there's a repercussion on a story card somewhere.

Poor soulless Agnes.. I think the outcome of that would have to be in the role play. No more compassion. No more helping out the other guy. No more cooperation.  Now it’s all about her!! 

I played Agnes too. Funny how great minds think alike... I drew Shining Trapozohedron and Arcane Initiate in my opening hand, which was pretty sweet, as I had a lot of spell events. I was a little light in the asset department, because I was terrified of having them devoured. In retrospect, I should have had more, but that being said, she had a couple of brilliant moments. In an unlikely turn of events, Sixth Sense, Dark Prophecy and Eldritch Inspiration combined in perfect alignment to get the last 2 clues off of another location that would have defeated her if she were there. And for the first time since I have played Agnes, her Elder Sign really came through. It happened on a card that gave damage equal to how much she succeeded by and it was by 5, I think. 
We were fortunate too, because for some reason, we somehow dodged having any really horrible things devoured. Time, speech, language, and 3 times where the blob devoured himself!  Agnes drew that one twice. Maybe her soul left your Agnes and empowered mine! 

I suppose it's only a hop, skip, and a jump from blood magic to soul magic. That sounds excellent. I find it hard to make room for all of the great mystic cards I want to use because most mystics only rely on and have high willpower so every card in the mystic faction is a good choice 90% of the time. I should try to make room for eldritch inspiration more often.

We never had the blob eat itself, but I took 2 deliberate attacks from the heart just to ping it for another 1 damage from Agnes's ability. Excited to try it again with a different investigator.

Posted (edited)

I know what you mean. I’ve always done the same with will when I play Mystics. Eldritch Inspiration is one of those cards I have never seemed to have room for in my decks. But with Sixth Sense, it has great synergy, which I’ve kind of overlooked, because I use Rite of Seeking so much.  
My Agnes took a couple attacks from the heart to do the same thing! They really are in sync! 

Tomorrow we are going to the big “Founder’s Day” BBQ. Looking forward to a nice relaxing evening! 

Edited by Mimi61