Jump to content
BiggsIRL

Bigger, Dumber, 24 Hourer Multi-Platform Tournament July 18th-19th

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Space_Cowboy17 said:

Biggs why cant these events be done in a more reasonable pace?  Forcing people to play online for 12 hours on a weekend day and basically ignoring their family seams very extreme. 

Why not do events that are spread out across a week or 2 weeks? 

These frantic events offer people with ANY OBLIGATIONS AT ALL during the time you are holding it, no way to participate. 

It seams much more reasonable to extend the event in a way similar to the VWC, but when every vassel event is one of these mad dashes, many people simply can not play. 

I understand that you want the IRL tournament effect, but that is a novelty and not needed in a digital format.

You dont have to partake for 12 hours. If you want something different then organise it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you always nit pick anything I say, and it IS 12 hours in a 24 hour period. 

You are "correcting" me by pointing out that it is not 12 CONTINUOUS hours but that is not what I said.  However, you simply like to argue.

I am glad the community is getting to play, but am suggesting that we consider at least alternating between these blitz events and more conventional vassel events, like VWC.  

Moderation seams easier to manage than one huge rush of an event.  People with multiple small children, people who have to work on that particular day, people who have something unforeseen come up, basically any fixed obligation that lasts a considerable amount of time on that day.  All these things can prevent someone from playing on a given day, but could much more easily be manage in an extended format. 

Why not give people the flexibility to play around life's obligations instead of railroading the event into a very rigid time slot.

I may be the only person who thinks this, and by all means ignore the voice of 1 person, but I know there are a few ppl in my local group wishing it were not so drastic, and there are probably others.

I am not trying to detract from this event in any way, but hope to offer a voice opposed to this type of event becoming the norm in our  community for the reasons I outlined above.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Space_Cowboy17

No. Its very simple. If you want something organise it. Do not complain about one of the few people making the effort to organise events at the moment. 

Take your idea to a different thread and grow it there. This is not the place. 

If nobody wants to play Biggs tournament then it may be changed in the future based on attendees. It was succesful last time abd there are a couple of days till the event, it is not ok to criticise now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, geek19 said:

I thought Strat Ad and 2-ship banished the multiple small children lists.

This is a good point - I have seven kids, and love MSU... 

Now, correlation is not causation, but this has got me thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

@Space_Cowboy17

No. Its very simple. If you want something organise it. Do not complain about one of the few people making the effort to organise events at the moment. 

Take your idea to a different thread and grow it there. This is not the place. 

If nobody wants to play Biggs tournament then it may be changed in the future based on attendees. It was succesful last time abd there are a couple of days till the event, it is not ok to criticise now. 

So I log into this forum again to check if anything has happened, and what am I greeted with? Gink dissing a perfectly polite player with a reasoned point in a self-entitled manner. Surprise.

You probably dont care, but you dont come across as a nice person. Please be nice.

Edited by RapidReload

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

You dont have to partake for 12 hours. If you want something different then organise it. 

I thought this first reply was perfectly civil, and in my opinion accurate. I respect all three of you guys on here, but telling a hard working organizer you don’t like his format but not offering to do the work to provide a better solution; and then taking offense when someone points an alternative option is hard not to notice.

None of these are bad guys. I don’t think Ginks reply is worth a rebuke. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, Space_Cowboy17 said:

Biggs why cant these events be done in a more reasonable pace?  Forcing people to play online for 12 hours on a weekend day and basically ignoring their family seams very extreme. 

Why not do events that are spread out across a week or 2 weeks? 

These frantic events offer people with ANY OBLIGATIONS AT ALL during the time you are holding it, no way to participate. 

It seams much more reasonable to extend the event in a way similar to the VWC, but when every vassel event is one of these mad dashes, many people simply can not play. 

I understand that you want the IRL tournament effect, but that is a novelty and not needed in a digital format.

The first 24 hour tourney was quite popular. The format is back by popular demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To be frank, both types of formats have some major downsides. The 24 hour format requires 12 hours of commitment in one day, which I can confirm, can be difficult for people with other commitments (like my 5 kids). On the plus side, you know exactly when each match will start ahead of time. 
 

VWC, on the other hand, lets you spread out the games to make it easier to work around your schedule. However, it can be difficult to find a “good” time for both you and your opponent to meet up, especially if you live in different hemispheres, so it can take weeks to get in 4 games. 
 

I’ve found even with my busy schedule the one and done tournament is easier for me because I can just tell my family “I’m not available all day” rather than being “gone” every night for a week. I won’t be able to participate this weekend (too many commitments), but I appreciate all the effort the organizers have put in. 

Edited by bkcammack
Added detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a 48hr event may be easier on a number of folks? I have a hard time getting through Vassal games in a timely fashion, plus other obligations etc and I believe a two-day spread would be far more approachable.  4 remote games in one day is just too much for me, even if I'd really like to participate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RapidReload said:

So I log into this forum again to check if anything has happened, and what am I greeted with? Gink dissing a perfectly polite player with a reasoned point in a self-entitled manner. Surprise.

You probably dont care, but you dont come across as a nice person. Please be nice.

I believe the tone of the Gink's initial response is perfectly in line with Space Cowboy's initial comment.

Imagine if the feedback was this:

"Thanks for organising another tourney Biggs!   

I'd really like to take part but unfortunately I can't when I have the kids to look after. 

If possible, I'd love it if you consider making a future one a bit more spread out."

Perfectly reasonable comment.

Instead we got got a message that was frankly entitled.

...Gink even made the comment that this discussion should move to a new thread, because now look, its filling up with completely off-topic posts.

(Thanks Biggs, I appreciate you.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alzer said:

I feel like a 48hr event may be easier on a number of folks? I have a hard time getting through Vassal games in a timely fashion, plus other obligations etc and I believe a two-day spread would be far more approachable.  4 remote games in one day is just too much for me, even if I'd really like to participate.

While the 48 hour format might be easier on participants, I imagine it would be VASTLY more difficult for the organizers. Anyone who’s pulled a 24 hour shift/duty/cramming session knows how incredibly exhausted you are after that. You would need a good team of organizers, probably 4x as many to make sure it’s manned and supervised appropriately, especially if you want to provide any sort of TO support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This tournament is being done this way because I am running it, people have asked me to run something, and this is what I personally have time to run.

I strongly encourage others to run their own tournaments, if only so that I don't have to run everything.  I'll gladly advertise for you if you let me know you are putting somethinng together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Check In If you'll be playing at 7:00 AM EDT, check in there.  You can check in up to 8 or so minutes before the tournament.  Try not to check in until 6:30am, so we know you're there.  I'll have check in disabled until then.

See you when we kick this bad boy off!

Edited by BiggsIRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as many players (and across 2 platforms) means we might be looking more at a 3 round tournament.  if that is the case, I'll okay 3 list registration.

At the moment, 11 lists for Vassal and 7 for TTS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jaypalmany said:

I would be willing to help make judge calls on TTS.

This would be a big help.  I have literally no idea how it works, so I'm counting on you!  (and everyone playing on that platform)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...