Sign in to follow this  
ewardell

Noob confusion share time

To veterans of this game this will be a no brainer but to us noobs this was so confusing to me today:

I want to get into X-Wing and so I get the 2.0 core set.
I want to build some squads to play with so I download the app

I choose hyperspace because it says that’s the introductory format for people like me

I can’t find a fair amount of pilots in the app to add for the TIE/ln Fighter that are included in the core set.

I find out that I can’t see them because their not hyperspace legal. So the cards in the core set are not usable in the format meant for people who by the core set

so confusing 

Posted (edited)

This is correct. There are a number of pilots, upgrades, and in fact a couple of whole ships released for 2.0 that aren't legal in the Hyperspace format. It's designed to create a different tournament experience from the "everything goes" nature of Extended.

For a new player like yourself, I would recommend not bothering about the formats until and unless you decide to investigate tournament play and just play what you own.

Edited by DR4CO

23 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

For a new player like yourself, I would recommend not bothering about the formats until and unless you decide to investigate tournament play and just play what you own.

This. So much this.

I can’t imagine starting the game right now. It’s such a wonky time in the world. It’s also probably going to play havoc on your ability to find opponents or hang out with a store community. Right now the important thing is to get some basic experience in a safe manner. None of that requires strict adherence to a format; formats are there for when you’re already in deep and you want to get “serious.”

Hyperspace has kind of caught on as a rotating format that keeps things fresh for long-timers or competitive types. But right now you’re new and still learning the mechanics that’ll help you compete if/when you get that far. For now, just enjoy the utterly smooth basics of the game, and branch out as you have interest/budget. Good opponents should be understanding about where you’re coming from, and should help to encourage your growth.

Granted: it might be a smart move on FFG’s part to always leave at least one legal T-65 and two legal TIE/ln pilots in Hyperspace, for exactly the situation of someone new walking in the door and getting discouraged about their nascent collection not being playable there.

But also remember, Hyperspace isn’t everything. I’m pretty much exclusively an Extended player. I’m old, I’m cranky, and I have a big collection; on the off-chance that I get a game in, I’ll fly what I like, thank you very much. 🙃

So you've stumbled on a bit of an oddity here. 

Yes, Hyperspace says it's for newer players but what it really means is that it's the competitive format for newer players. The vast majority of Hyperspace legal content is supposed to be limited to what is available to buy in Second Edition, with some additional limitations for balance and to get a bit of rotation in lists. Hyperspace is intended to level the playing field somewhat and ensure that new players don't get wiped by veterans fielding lists they haven't seen because they're only available in Second Edition via conversion kits. 

That doesn't mean it's the format intended for brand new players though. In general, I think the intention is that people who have literally just picked up the game shouldn't be looking at either format. Hyperspace is designed with the expectation that, at the very least, you've picked up enough second edition ships to be able to field a full 200 point list with ease; and it's supposed to enable competitive play in store/clubs. For Imperials that means at least a TIE Advanced and two more two TIE/lns and probably a TIE Interceptor or TIE Striker as well. 

If you only have the core set, I think the intention is for players to use the Quick Build cards and play games that aren't the standard 200 points. Once you've got two 200 point lists to play against each other, the best place to look for casual standard rule games is actually Extended, as all Extended really means is 'unrestricted'. When playing casually, however, it won't matter that you don't have Star Vipers or TIE Phantoms because the only players will be limited by your collection anyway. 

This could probably be communicated better, admittedly. 

Welcome!

Hyperspace is not new player friendly per se. at least, in my opinion a new player should be able to use all their toys. Don’t sweat format; look at extended.

Will there be tons of things from 1.0 conversion you won’t have direct access to? Yes, but then you can use all your pilots and ships. There are plenty of viable 2.0 only builds in extended anyway.

I am sorry there was confusion - don’t lose heart as the game is a super fun one! 

29 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

If you only have the core set, I think the intention is for players to use the Quick Build cards and play games that aren't the standard 200 points.

I always forget about the QB cards. You’re almost certainly right, though. I guess a wrinkle might be that old-timers might not pay them much heed, or may have forgotten where they stuck them since they might not use them much. But those would be great for scenarios with newer players where detailed points figures are less important than just coming up with reasonable loadouts for their ships.

(Come to think of it, I might have to try those with my kids...)

1 minute ago, CoffeeMinion said:

I always forget about the QB cards. You’re almost certainly right, though. I guess a wrinkle might be that old-timers might not pay them much heed, or may have forgotten where they stuck them since they might not use them much. But those would be great for scenarios with newer players where detailed points figures are less important than just coming up with reasonable loadouts for their ships.

(Come to think of it, I might have to try those with my kids...)

I kept all my QB cards :) we had some fun when 2.0 dropped messing with them, but we haven’t touched them in a while admittedly. 

Posted (edited)

I use Quick Build as a basis for builds. I have played since nearly the start of 1st edition, but I hardly get to play.

Building with too many cards is daunting. Having a suggestion of how a particular ship will work helps a lot.

Edited by Aetherer
Words

Posted (edited)

If you were ever a MTG player think of it as standard vs modern rulesets.

I'm trying to get back from 1.0 after my FLGS had a fire sale on it's conversion and early 2.0 stuff due to local participation dropping off a cliff. I'm already  prepared to forget hyperspace all together after finding out even the belbullab-22 and v-19 (from servants of strife and Guardians of the republic) aren't even legal as generics in the format.

Edit: Unless you're going to go to tournaments, find a play group that likes extended and play that.

Edited by Ralgon