Sign in to follow this  
Forresto

Best Table for X Wing?

Posted (edited)

I’ve moved into a house (first time homeowner woohoo) and I’m in the market for a table I can play X-Wing/Armada and other games on.

Any suggestions?

Ideally I’m looking for 6x3 for complete versatility.

———

Lowe’s has plastic folding tables that are 6 feet by 2.5 feet. I was thinking of getting 2 and putting them next to eachother. Would a 5 foot wide playing space be TOO wide to be practical? 

Lowes

There is a more expensive table that is 3x6.

Lowes

In either case I will also need room for cards and pieces, would a seperate little table work for that? 

Edited by Forresto

Congrats on the new home! If you have a dedicated game room now, you might want to consider putting that money towards something more sturdy/permanent, especially if you're looking to game frequently. I ended up getting an extending dining table since I don't have the dedicated space, so it serves two purposes and made the ~$350 expense worth it. But if you're looking for far more affordable, I don't think you can go wrong with the larger Lowe's table. I've tried putting two tables together for X-wing, and the seam in the middle always bothered me because one of the tables was ever so slightly taller than the other. 

10 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Maybe you can roll one of these bad boys into the mortgage:

https://ultimategametable.com/

I’m actually considering get a specialized gaming table like that... need a new dining room table anyway, so why not get the dual role? We’re very early on in looking for a supplier reasonably close for shipping purposes...

19 hours ago, Forresto said:

I’ve moved into a house (first time homeowner woohoo) and I’m in the market for a table I can play X-Wing/Armada and other games on.

Any suggestions?

Ideally I’m looking for 6x3 for complete versatility.

———

Lowe’s has plastic folding tables that are 6 feet by 2.5 feet. I was thinking of getting 2 and putting them next to eachother. Would a 5 foot wide playing space be TOO wide to be practical? 

Lowes

There is a more expensive table that is 3x6.

Lowes

In either case I will also need room for cards and pieces, would a seperate little table work for that? 

The trouble with two tables put together is it causes the mat to have ridges. Ridges are not ideal. It isn't usually horrible though it will cause awkward moments. You will end up with the need of want of something to smooth the gap between two folding tables. The bump or dip ends up in the middle of the battlefield. A table topper of some sort becomes needed. 

Six feet on the long side is fine and five wide is easy enough unless you are height and flexibility impaired. It is usually best to have your cards and tokens and such between you and the mat. Mostly that wide just requires both players sometimes moving the other player's ships unless you have room to move around.

Moving cards and such off the main table can make it easy to forget abilities and such and hard for either player to see them.

What I would consider ideal is seven feet by four feet but that is not commercially available.

I just took a finished piece of 4x4 1/4 osb and painted it black. Have taped off a 3x3 area in the middle leaving 6 inches of "stuff" space around the outside. Might drip some "stars" on it for theme but the size works perfectly. 

For quick games, I have a plastic, folding 5 ft round table that seems to work really well.  It holds a standard 3X3 Game mat with plenty of room for cards, dice tray, maneuver templates etc.  For any larger games, I use the couple of plastic folding tables to support a sheet of plywood, or two depending how big and crazy we are going with the scenario.  IMO, you are doing it right by taking your time and figuring out what will work best for you, your family, and the new house.  Don't be afraid to borrow different items from friends or family to see how they work before making any big purchases if you are able too.  One other thing that I have found, is that I use plastic bed frame risers under my tables. (About $5.00 US from Target or Wal-Mart for a 4 pack) They lift the Game surface about 5-6 inches  without compromising table integrity, which has saved my back a ton of stress.  Even the larger tables are still pretty playable without to much stretching and reaching. 

Congratulations on the purchase BTW!!!  Home ownership can be both a Joy and a Curse, hopefully yours is more Joy and fun memory making!

I grabbed two of these:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-adils-table-black-brown-blue-s29133599/

It's perfect for most games (X-Wing, Imperial Assault, Outer Rim and a bunch of other tabletop games I have) and they break down easily enough if need be (I REALLY need to get two more for large scale games) and they're VERY stable.