Forresto

Best Table for Armada?

Posted (edited)

I’ve moved into a house (first time homeowner woohoo) and I’m in the market for a table I can play Armada and other games on.

Any suggestions?

———

Lowe’s has plastic folding tables that are 6 feet by 2.5 feet. I was thinking of getting 2 and putting them next to eachother. Would a 5 foot wide playing space be TOO wide to be practical? 

Lowes

There is a more expensive table that is 3x6.

Lowes

In either case I will also need room for cards and pieces, would a seperate little table work for that? 

Edited by Forresto

Congratulations on getting your own home! 

The depth of the 5ft table may be a problem.  Can you reach all the way across it comfortably and faff around with a maneuver dial in one hand and a plastic spaceship in the other?  Depends how tall you are, it's a personal thing.

The other thing to consider is that the tables won't be perfectly level no matter what you do so you'll end up with a wonky gap that will affect the play mat.

I would recommend purchasing a single four to six foot folding table and making a topper for it.  With all the supplies, it can come to just under $100 (depending on the table you choose) and you will have a large, flat playing surface that you can store in your garage and doesn't require playmats.

haIg0Le.jpg

wbWitZB.jpg

I purchased a 1/2 in. x 49 in. x 97 in. MDF Panel from Home Depot and had them cut two 49 in. x 38 in. sections in the store.  I also purchased some 1 in. wide blue painter's tape, semi-gloss black paint, clear gloss ultra cover paint, and some dowels to hold the sections together.  After sanding it down to make it smooth, I drilled holes in the short side then glued (in one set of holes) and inserted the dowels to create a 76 in. x 49 in. surface.  Measure and pencil a 72 in. x 36 in. playing surface and mark the outside of the line with the painter's tape.  Paint over in black paint (two coats), remove the painter's tape, then paint a coat of the ultra cover.  This will give you a reliable playing surface that is already the correct dimensions for both 400- and 200-point games while having plenty of space on each side of the table for players to keep their cards, tokens, etc.  Please message me if you want more specifics on exactly what I purchased to make this.  Hope this helps.

This Is my regular gaming table and works well for my regular board games.  It is not 6x3.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barrington-6-Player-Solid-Wood-Poker-Card-Game-Table-Brown-Blue/155480868

I used 1x2 strips of wood to make the frame

53908BE7-4B3B-40A8-A889-F167A5519C83.jpeg.feaf99e958afb9f5372b607f6f1c1254.jpeg

Then took three 2x4 ft sheets of 1/4 in mdf and screwed cleats to them to keep them secure to the frame

634C0E2C-8C65-4428-ADC4-4CEBF8B1105B.jpeg.8762354a19f4b2a4417a08738162857c.jpeg

I then got a 6x3 ft yoga mat from amazon and it works great. Only downside is it cant support a person leaning on it with too much weight. I wanted it to be light and easy to remove for storage. Extra 6in on each side for cards6CD5853F-5EEA-4489-918D-5CE923640B5F.jpeg.7b15ac4fd7c2192284f75a1bfe0fe5bc.jpeg

I just built my own table. The ones you can get online are amazing and some are VERY expensive (but you get what you paid for). I took common designs and just built my own but I have the room for both! Designed with wife approval was key, we entertain a lot of friends with board game nights and I play miniatures. So dual dining/games table

20200426_140628.jpg

2 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Once COVID restrictions let up, if you or anyone else ever finds their way to southeast Arizona (listed under “middle of nowhere”), more than happy play host for a game or two.

Tucson area? Or more southern-eastern?

I have a large carpeted thing that we had laying around in our national guard armory and no one was sure why it was there, what it was for, and it wasn't signed on any books. I intend on adding some legs to it at some point and having it in my basement for games. I also have a few shelves from a display case my old office was getting rid of. They are about 2ft by 2ft square. I use it to display minatures right now, but I plan on getting some mouse pad star mat thing to put on one, then the other will be used for other games.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:37 PM, Mburnaugh64 said:

For my small game room I use a Alpha Game Table. They fold up and are portable, they come with a carrying case. I love it works great for all my games. You can check out the site and there are some vids on YT. The tables run $235 including shipping

https://firmerterra.com

D4652942-6947-499E-A9AF-3D0B4AF1F247_1_2

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well... *motions to Dresden Files books in the corner*

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, Mburnaugh64 said:

For my small game room I use a Alpha Game Table. They fold up and are portable, they come with a carrying case. I love it works great for all my games. You can check out the site and there are some vids on YT. The tables run $235 including shipping

https://firmerterra.com

D4652942-6947-499E-A9AF-3D0B4AF1F247_1_2

I'd advise this as well. It folds up really well so I can use the space for other things. It's sturdy as long as you don't put your weight on it. The only issue is the seams play havoc with the Armada ships if/when they land on them. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I'd advise this as well. It folds up really well so I can use the space for other things. It's sturdy as long as you don't put your weight on it. The only issue is the seams play havoc with the Armada ships if/when they land on them. 

I had that problem too so I took two blank 3x3 mats and cut them to fit next to the seams to even it out then laid the SW mats in top 

IKEA Skogsta, here.

pic5517274.jpg

Gone up in price a bit since we got it, but it definitely works well.  INCREDIBLY solid-feeling.

The seam down the middle is...odd, and you can see it leaves a slight depression in the play mats, but nothing that impacts play.

Armada definitely fills it nearly edge-to-edge on the narrow measurement, though - leaving only enough room if you push the mats to one side for objective stuff (cards, tokens, turn dial, etc) on the opposite long edge.  Mats are centered long-way, though, so you can see on the top of the image there is plenty of room on the short edges for whatever fleet setup you are running.

I have two options.  One is a pair of gaming tables I made from 5/8inch plywood and folding table legs.  Each one is 3x4 feet, and they have hook-and-eyes underneath to attach them together to make a 4x6 table.  Cost me maybe 50 bucks.

The other is a nice dining room table we just bought from someone on a local garage sale site, that is 48x44 inches, but has two 12" leaves that can be put in, so can be 6 feet long by just a couple inches under 4 feet wide.  The extra two inches of my 4x6 game mats that hang off the table in each side is a pain, but the incredibly sturdy nature of the table when leaning on or against it makes up for it.  If I can get my wife to play Armada with me, I may just cut 4 inches off the 4' width of the vinyl mat I use for space games, as it's not that big a deal in the long run as it's only used for Armada and X-wing.

Edited by AegisGrimm

I was wondering the same thing. I live in France, so I look up my options there and find grosso-modo three possibilities :

• Buy a plastique table design for outside event. Seems the cheapest, but I didn't manage to find one that was big enough, and it's to expensive to buy several. Raté.
  • Buy a standard table with a extension big enough to match what I was looking for. The prices for that solution are just to high (count 250€ / 300$). C'est trop cher !
  • The last solution seems for me the best : I will buy two wooden planks and put them together with ankles (chevilles in french). Like this, the price stay below 100€ (120$) and I can have a big volume without losing the space for ever. When I'm finished playing, I can just fold the surface and put it against a wall. The only condition for this solution to work is that you need a table where you can put the planks, and a wood drill to put the ankle.
Edited by ZaZ333

There's also a solution that works as a modification to an existing table.  Thick insulation foam from a big-box hardware store.  Split it down the middle, and add heavy-duty tape along one side of the split so that it can fold up somewhat for storage.  Bond black felt to the taped side, and you have a nice wide smooth playing surface.

I'm a fan of felt because the models aren't quite so likely to scoot around.

I actually built a table recently.  My parents replaced their garage last year and my dad saved a bunch of the wood from that, which went into the frame for the table.  I only had to buy 2 sheets of mdf board and a sheet of hardboard for that top.  In total it cost around 60 dollars.  Even it I had needed to buy the wood for the frame, it still would have been maybe 200 tops.

table.jpg