feltipern1

Does it feel like X-Wing's become unimportant to FFG?

30 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

Long story short, X-Wing will be present @ the In-flight Report with the next Wave announcement.

I’m hoping that we see all the leaks announced honestly. Better to have everything to make up for the long drought (yes I know Armada players, quit whining how you have it worse :) )

47 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

Long story short, X-Wing will be present @ the In-flight Report with the next Wave announcement.

When is this happening?

11 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Not to sound ungrateful, but why did we need to find out from Crabbok instead of the in-flight report announcement?

Also, hooray!

Because FFG is sort of bad at reporting things? We’ve seen this before with how inconsistent they are at reporting

56 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Not to sound ungrateful, but why did we need to find out from Crabbok instead of the in-flight report announcement?

Also, hooray!

Because they want to highlight their other games and make sure people who are fans of those games get excited too.

1 hour ago, Skitch_ said:

Because they want to highlight their other games and make sure people who are fans of those games get excited too.

All they have to do is set up an X-Wing specific official twitter and tweet these things when other, wider scale announcements happen.

It's the absolute bare minimum of player communication and they're not doing it. 

An FFG tweet stating the three biggest products at GenCon is fine. A follow up tweet a few minutes later from the X-Wing account saying "X-Wing announcements too" would have got ahead of all this silly doom saying and speculation. 

What I don't understand is that someone at FFG had to have let Crabbok know. Whether that's by a DM on some social media, an email or a Discord message, someone at FFG had to type the words "X-Wing will be announcing the new wave at GenCon". Why couldn't the person who had the time and authority to type that type it somewhere the rest of the community could see?

For the record, I'm not mad at FFG or anything, just... baffled 

17 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

BestLeafyGerenuk-size_restricted.gif

Getting what one wants = being able to find/play any mode of XWM with equal facility.

Wanting what one gets = wanting to play XWM, but only being able to find 200 point games, and thus "wanting" to play 200 point games.

15 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Probably a bit of both? I wouldn’t mind playing more epic if I could find more opponents for it. But without advance notice, it’s much easier to pack a 200 point squad.

True.  But:

Aces High is a prime example of a successful non-200-death-match variant.

400 points of Epic on 3x3 is basically just one more ship if Huges are required to play.

Also, an FFG-official Mario Cart (c'mon, it's in the Resistance cartoon just begging to be scooped} would be a nice official variant.

My point is everyone is so geared to "standard," many folks just won't play anything else.  I can solicit an opponent, but if they won't change gears, it's 200 or go home.

It would be nice to see a XWM world in which there is a Hyperspace champ, an Epic champ, an Aces-High Champ, and/or a Racing champ.

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Also, an FFG-official Mario Cart (c'mon, it's in the Resistance cartoon just begging to be scooped} would be a nice official variant.

Well, I just went from "FFG making a race format would be okay" to "why isn't FFG making a racing format?". They could have released it with the Fireball expansion. If they ever release any more of the racing ships, they should add simple rules and small obstacles representing the "hoops" that they flew through.

Posted (edited)

I have made a custom racing rules for X-Wing that resembles less Mario Kart and more real Resistance racing. Me and the players enjoyed it a lot. I did a starvipers run (all players flying starvipers, but with different upgrades) and it was a blast.

Here are the google drive links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lWmN_pVQPz2hZi8RypBVqJCCvufGlseF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JyUWrdAdnM5ZfGfZ2cOA67YjpOUB31EX/view?usp=sharing

You only need some thing to create the checkpoints. I personnaly used legos and it went perfectly (bases of posts: 2 x 4 dots).

I think that, like HOTAC, the fan-made expansions are well tested and FFG won't bother doing so.

Edited by Silver_leader

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Skitch_ said:

Plus it's normal for X-wing to get news at Gencon. The other games are newer than this one or don't get news as often, so from a marketing standpoint I can see advertising their announcements specifically. With all the reprints we're still expecting, the devs stating awhile ago that ace packs are coming back, and 4 factions that still have on-screen material waiting to be made into product, we can safely assume news will be forthcoming at any major event like this. There's really no need to worry if we aren't mentioned by name in an advertisement for an advertisement.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

True.  But:

Aces High is a prime example of a successful non-200-death-match variant.

400 points of Epic on 3x3 is basically just one more ship if Huges are required to play.

My point is everyone is so geared to "standard," many folks just won't play anything else.  I can solicit an opponent, but if they won't change gears, it's 200 or go home.

It would be nice to see a XWM world in which there is a Hyperspace champ, an Epic champ, an Aces-High Champ, and/or a Racing champ.

I get what you’re saying, but the challenge I’ve seen is everybody knows they can find a “standard” game, even if it’s extended and not hyperspace.

The rest are not guaranteed. I can’t roll into the game store with an epic list and realistically expect to play it without some prior arrangement.

Maybe we are arguing the same thing, just in two different ways?

Either way, I look forward to an epic night when our store is back to full open.

1 hour ago, Silver_leader said:

You only need some thing to create the checkpoints.

Paired objective tokens from the Epic Battles expac would work for checkpoints. Have the players fly between them.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Paired objective tokens from the Epic Battles expac would work for checkpoints. Have the players fly between them.

Nice idea. I haven't updated my rulebook because I put it on my google drive before the epic battles expansion

On 7/1/2020 at 2:49 AM, feltipern1 said:

The title pretty much says it all, but I thought I'd offer some context.  We haven't really had any news about anything for several months, and with the Gen-Con announcement today (no mention of X-Wing, where it's usually prominent), does it feel to anyone else like X-Wing's been left on the back burner for a long time?  I mean, I understand that COVID's basically shot most hobbies through the heart, particularly in the US, but I would have thought that something would have been forthcoming by now.

Lol, you don't play armada then 😛

On 7/1/2020 at 6:41 AM, Azrapse said:

I am not sure why you are tracing a line between HotAC and Euro-games. Hotac is as much Ameri-trash as "versus X-wing". It's not really so different from Descent 2 or Imperial Assault.
If they wanted to, they would do as they did with Descent 2 or Imperial Assault and make an app that plays the AI for you, just telling you where to move the enemies each turn, and let the player play solo or coop with friends/family.
But they don't want to.
I think, from the very beginning they thought that X-wing is versus, and versus is X-wing, and anything else is anathema, even if they publicly say "We love seeing those fan-mad coop campaigns", while grinding their teeth.
Perhaps they saw no real widespread use of that Mission Control tool they made, or the scenarios they used to pack with each large ship box, and they were told to only focus on adding more and more pieces to the 1vs1 side of the game, and treat the rest as an anomaly.
I still think this decision is biting them in the *** now.

Alternately, FFG only has a few developers that work on X-Wing, who also work on other games as well. This means that their ability to work on several things at once is... limited, at best. There are only so many things people can develop at once, so the company has prioritized.

Did they prioritize solo or campaign play? No. For a long time, competitive 1v1 play and tournaments drove sales, so that space was logically the top priority. Does this mean they didn't want to do solo or campaign play? Not necessarily. They keep trying to dip their toes into that water, so they certainly seem to want to, but for a long time, they simply couldn't prioritize it over the stuff that was most obviously making them money.

Planning for this sort of thing usually requires well more than a year of advance planning to make it happen. Covid-19 didn't exist in July 2019, ergo, they couldn't have planned for it.

On top of that, consider that for a period of time, there was simply no such thing as getting product out of China (which is where their products are manufactured). There were easily a couple of months there were FFG was simply trying to figure out what their lifelines were in case that never came back, since that was an existential threat to their entire business. If you don't think that sort of thing affects all levels of a business, you've never worked somewhere that was worried about whether their doors would be open in a few months. (I have, on more than one occasion. It's not fun. I've been fortunate that the places that happened did pull through in the end, but it took a lot of work from all levels of the companies to make it happen). Note that FFG basically didn't post anything at all on their website for about a month once the shutdown orders starting going into effect back in the March/April timeframe.

Finally, FFG usually gets quiet in the lead-up to Gencon, so that they can make big announcements there. There may not be a Gencon, but they've announced the In-Flight report for the end of the month. So, it shouldn't be surprising that they're mostly quiet right now.

3 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

Did they prioritize solo or campaign play? No. For a long time, competitive 1v1 play and tournaments drove sales, so that space was logically the top priority. Does this mean they didn't want to do solo or campaign play? Not necessarily. They keep trying to dip their toes into that water, so they certainly seem to want to, but for a long time, they simply couldn't prioritize it over the stuff that was most obviously making them money.

"They keep trying to dip their toes into that water"?
When? As stated above, the designer team didn't know what to do of HotAC when shown to them. As if it was something they had never even considered or wanted doing.
FFG has had 8 years to even experiment with solo or coop formats, or even just single missions, but unless I am mistaken, they released none.
Not even back then when they used to pack cinematic missions with large ships. All those missions were versus.

One thing is to prioritize "versus" over coop/solo, and another thing is to totally dismiss it solo/coop, that is what they have been doing for two editions, up until the very moment that a pandemia makes them regret their decision.

And of course versus is going to be the thing that makes money for them if it is the only thing they offer!
What an absurd vicious circle! Solo/coop doesn't give us money, so we don't develop any solo/coop. And since solo/coop doesn't exist, it doesn't give us any money.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:24 AM, 5050Saint said:

The difference being that we X-wing players expect news on occasion, while Armada players are neglected so much that the fact that they get news is a surprise to them. Our expectations are different.

Remember the time that we got an announcement for another announcement that was 6 months away? Pepperridge Farms remembers.

8 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

What seems unimportant to FFG is making it easy to get their stuff into shops. Both of my FLGSs have to jump through more flaming hoops than a circus lion to get stuff. 

That's a distributor problem. Eventually, that runs back the FFG, but some distributors just suck. From what I recall, Australia's distributor would outright lie to stores.