Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

GenCon Livestreams

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Soakman said:

And for some reason, I can burn a lvl 1 ally for the effect, or an old hunting rifle, etc, which is at odds to me with the flavor involved in the name of the card.

Doesn't seem any different than using a Newspaper, Magnifying Glass, or any of the various tomes for Act of Desperation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Doesn't seem any different than using a Newspaper, Magnifying Glass, or any of the various tomes for Act of Desperation.

Sure in some respect, but at least it’s still something you could physically throw with act of desperation. You can use burn after reading on any card... so what exactly does it mean if you are burning “brute force” after reading for instance? 
 

To me, it feels like the title of the card is referring to the physical card in hand, which you “burn” for the effect and breaks immersion. 
 

Just a nitpick but I don’t know if this was discussed at all because I wasn’t there. Again, conceptually interesting but leaves me a little bamboozled if I really think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Soakman said:

Sure in some respect, but at least it’s still something you could physically throw with act of desperation. You can use burn after reading on any card... so what exactly does it mean if you are burning “brute force” after reading for instance? 
 

To me, it feels like the title of the card is referring to the physical card in hand, which you “burn” for the effect and breaks immersion. 
 

Just a nitpick but I don’t know if this was discussed at all because I wasn’t there. Again, conceptually interesting but leaves me a little bamboozled if I really think about it.

I'm more looking forward to Patrice burning a second copy of Pete.  Wait, can she exile 1 of Miss Doyle's brood?  I realize it doesn't do any effect - they have no value - but can she?

It'd be an expensive way to get Moonstone into play, 5 resources and no clues, but if you feel that strongly about it...

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duciris said:

I'm more looking forward to Patrice burning a second copy of Pete.  Wait, can she exile 1 of Miss Doyle's brood?  I realize it doesn't do any effect - they have no value - but can she?

Don't see why not, although it's probably worth waiting to see the final version of the card before considering odd interactions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buhallin said:

Don't see why not, although it's probably worth waiting to see the final version of the card before considering odd interactions.

They published it like they do for Arkham Nights events.  It's print-n-playable in beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Soakman said:

This card feels a little too wonky to me if you compare it to Working a Hunch. It's really oddly conditional as you don't get clues at all if you target a lvl 0 card as far as I can tell. And for some reason, I can burn a lvl 1 ally for the effect, or an old hunting rifle, etc, which is at odds to me with the flavor involved in the name of the card. I hope the final version is a bit different when it makes its way into a released expansion/pack.

I kind of like the flex, but it's a bit of a miss for me in general.

If you had say a 2XP Rite of Seeking that was out of charges and not likely to get more, you could get two clues and remove a doom while freeing up a spell slot. Or am I reading  the card wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

If you had say a 2XP Rite of Seeking that was out of charges and not likely to get more, you could get two clues and remove a doom while freeing up a spell slot. Or am I reading  the card wrong? 

It’s half the level rounded up so it would be 1 clue, and you’d have to exile rite of seeking to remove the doom (otherwise it’s just the 1 clue) as I understand it. It’s not a terrible card by any means but it’s not great.
 

The big miss for me is just theme because of the “reading” in the title of the card.

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Soakman said:

It’s half the level rounded up so it would be 1 clue, and you’d have to exile rite of seeking to remove the doom (otherwise it’s just the 1 clue) as I understand it. It’s not a terrible card by any means but it’s not great.
 

The big miss for me is just theme because of the “reading” in the title of the card.

Yup. I misread it!  I thought it said 1/2 the cost rounded up. That makes more sense. It seemed too powerful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with Soakman that the card doesn't work thematically. If they had made it a Mystic card and limited it to tomes and (perhaps) spells, in play it would make more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of figured that the "Reading" was supposed to be how you got the clues. As in, you stumble across some arcane tome that tells you what you need to know, then you destroy it before anyone else can read it and become corrupted and/or use it for evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rsdockery said:

I kind of figured that the "Reading" was supposed to be how you got the clues. As in, you stumble across some arcane tome that tells you what you need to know, then you destroy it before anyone else can read it and become corrupted and/or use it for evil.

That was the reasoning in the stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The only thing that makes it feel un-thematic is the name.  I was pushing for it to be an invocation of Cthugha (the elder god of the fire vampires).  That way the sacrifice could be more than a book and even could be the player burning away aspects of themselves to seal something away.   My suggestion was Invoke The Living Flames, which is what I would have named it in the CoC RPG, but it didn't make it onto the poll.   That way the art was just one example of the things you could burn away.  With that name I agree I would have liked to see it target specifically Tome assets though that would certainly limit it's utility way more.

As to the mechanics the stream was just real excited to open up a new design space, which they did.  The real idea was the Doom removal, which is a rare and powerful ability.  The clue gathering was to give it secondary utility so it would trigger more often.  Both reading the book or invoking a god through a ritual sounded like clue gathering to the stream.  As to the clue gathering ability's power level it might be a bit behind the curve, but I don't think by much and test-less clue gathering is still pretty powerful (potentially very good if you actually target a high level card).  I would definitely include it.  In it's current form (1 xp) tons of people can take it and preventing 1 Doom is often the difference between failure and success in the final campaign scenarios for me.  That's really big.  By the final scenario you should have plenty of 2+ XP cards and if you exile them at the end of the campaign who really cares.  The Doom removal or clue gathering might be more advantageous in the end game than playing that copy of Hot Streak or your second copy of Timeworn Brand.  The card in it's current form is about  giving more utility to potentially dead cards in the moment especially ones you invested XP into which makes more situational card less uninteresting.  Also in Survivor sometimes you just wanna be able to discard cards and this cards is another way to enable that.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From the per-order page.

Arkham Horror: Wrath of N'Kai

Quote

The first in a new range of novels of eldritch adventure from the wildly popular Arkham Horror – an international thief of esoteric artifacts stumbles onto a nightmarish cult in 1920s New England.

Countess Alessandra Zorzi, international adventurer and thief, arrives in Arkham pursuing an ancient body freshly exhumed from a mound in Oklahoma, of curious provenance and peculiar characteristics. But before she can steal it, another party beats her to it. During the resulting gunfight at the Miskatonic Museum, the countess makes eye contact with the petrified corpse and begins an adventure of discovery outside her wildest experiences. Now, caught between her mysterious client, the police, and a society of necrophagic connoisseurs, she finds herself on the trail of a resurrected mummy as well as the star-born terror gestating within it.

There are 4 other books (the first generation) on sale for $3.99USD.  Dance of the DamnedThe Lies of SolaceThe Sign of GlaakiGhouls of Miskatonic.

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I find it interesting that these new AH books from Aconyte don't seem to feature tie in characters from the games considering the huge pool available.  The old FFG novels did and the novellas obviously do.  Maybe that will be a good thing for the novels since the author will have more freedom with the characters to tell a story.  The old FFG novels could sometimes feel a bit eye winky when referencing stuff from the games, and it's clear that the novellas can only go so far to imperil the main characters.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, phillos said:

I find it interesting that these new AH books from Aconyte don't seem to feature tie in characters from the games considering the huge pool available.  The old FFG novels did and the novellas obviously do.  Maybe that will be a good thing for the novels since the author will have more freedom with the characters to tell a story.  The old FFG novels could sometimes feel a bit eye winky when referencing stuff from the games, and it's clear that the novellas can only go so far to imperil the main characters.

Yes, it'll be very interesting to see what they decide to do when they don't have to tailor their stories to pre-existing story beats or personality types. That being said, I do think the newer LCG novellas are supposedly being written with characters chosen by the authors rather than assigned to the authors. So at least they probably have some creative direction in mind. I'm interested to see the new novellas. I wonder if Dexter was technically one of the 'newer' batches.

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the first two seem to be tied to existing character from their decription: Dance of the Damned metions Daisy Walker and bounty hunter Tony Morgan while The Lies of Solace mentions Jacqueline Fine. The third book also has some hints but doesn't name specific ones "one of the twentieth century’s most influential authors will team up with history’s greatest escape artist". Who could they mean if it's about existing characters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the older books were tied to the characters (but they're not canon as far as the LCG is concerned). It's the new novels that aren't tied to existing characters (from Aconyte publishing) as far as we can tell.

I know that of the old books, Ghouls of the Miskatonic had Rita and Amanda. One of them also had Diana and Mark. I never read Signs of Glaaki, but the description mentions Houdini and Dennis Wheatley as the author an escape artist so I don't know who is in that one as far as characters go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 4:38 AM, django042 said:

At least the first two seem to be tied to existing character from their decription: Dance of the Damned metions Daisy Walker and bounty hunter Tony Morgan while The Lies of Solace mentions Jacqueline Fine. The third book also has some hints but doesn't name specific ones "one of the twentieth century’s most influential authors will team up with history’s greatest escape artist". Who could they mean if it's about existing characters?

Mr. Miracle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...