Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

GenCon Livestreams

Recommended Posts

I'm very interest to know who is doing the talking this year.  I wonder if it will be one of the marketing people like Evan.  Traditionally it's the head of studio, but they never made a public announcement about who that was so I suspect that person doesn't want to be public facing (unlike Andrew and Christian before them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t they generally debut a new Stand-alone for AHCG at GenCom? I was kind of surprised that there was nothing Arkham related in the announcement. Unless, I missed something. W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have in the past, I believe we got Labyrinths of Lunacy (2017), The Eternal Slumber (2018) and The Blob That Ate Everything (2019).

It could be that with Gen Con being held online they’ve kept it back in case Arkham Nights can take place later in the year. Or it could be that they chose to put their effort into developing the new starter decks in place of a Gen Con stand-alone scenario. Or it could be a surprise announcement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 2:01 AM, Assussanni said:

They have in the past, I believe we got Labyrinths of Lunacy (2017), The Eternal Slumber (2018) and The Blob That Ate Everything (2019).

It could be that with Gen Con being held online they’ve kept it back in case Arkham Nights can take place later in the year. Or it could be that they chose to put their effort into developing the new starter decks in place of a Gen Con stand-alone scenario. Or it could be a surprise announcement!

That's my assumption, that they held back the release (and announcement) of the GenCon scenario.  Lord of the Rings, too.

 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:22 PM, Antimarkovnikov said:

I wonder what are the other livestreams that is listed at the end of the announcement.  I'm sure they're not going to be showing off brand new products but they might be showing off already announced things.

They usually announce 1+ new products at the In-Flight report, then they demo those (and any other unreleased products) throughout GenCon.  I expect they'll be demoing the fallowing (in addition to the newly announced product(s)):

mc10en-box-left500.pngahb05-box-left500.pngjme05-box-left500.pngced01-box-right500.png

I'm aware they'll be doing the livestreams for the last two, but I believe COVID is going to kill Cosmic Encounters: Duel in a way FFG hasn't seen since Blood Bowl Team Manager (which I believe is what has so scared them about overproducing product for the last 9 years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duciris said:

ced01-box-right500.png

I'm aware they'll be doing the livestreams for the last two, but I believe COVID is going to kill Cosmic Encounters: Duel in a way FFG hasn't seen since Blood Bowl Team Manager (which I believe is what has so scared them about overproducing product for the last 9 years).

I think that Cosmic Encounters: Duel will actually be more popular because it requires only two players.  And there are a lot of couples that are quarantined together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Blood Bowl Team Manager's main issue was it had trouble finding its audience, which most likely wasn't fans of Blood Bowl.  I think Cosmic Encounter Duel does have a shot for the reason Antimarkovnikov stated.  Cosmic is best with more players so if they can communicate a Cosmic-like experience in a game tailored for two players then its' got a shot.  I'd think games like Keyforge and L5R are the ones having the roughest time.  You can technically play those games with just two people at your kitchen table, but without a local scene to establish a meta then games like that usually flounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an expansion due in

December named War of the Outer Gods 

that may be the next stand alone scenario. Some folks in the miniatures section found on the Lion Rampant Imports product pages a lot of upcoming releases for all FFG games. There is another product release that month that thematically sounds more for Innsmouth cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

There is an expansion due in

  Reveal hidden contents

December named War of the Outer Gods 

that may be the next stand alone scenario. Some folks in the miniatures section found on the Lion Rampant Imports product pages a lot of upcoming releases for all FFG games. There is another product release that month that thematically sounds more for Innsmouth cycle. 

Check it/them against the list @Lecitadin scored for us as the mythos packs for Innsmouth:

  1. In Too Deep
  2. Devil Reef
  3. Horror in High Gear
  4. A Light in the Fog
  5. The Lair of Dagon
  6. Into the Maelstrom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phillos said:

I think Blood Bowl Team Manager's main issue was it had trouble finding its audience, which most likely wasn't fans of Blood Bowl.  I think Cosmic Encounter Duel does have a shot for the reason Antimarkovnikov stated.  Cosmic is best with more players so if they can communicate a Cosmic-like experience in a game tailored for two players then its' got a shot.  I'd think games like Keyforge and L5R are the ones having the roughest time.  You can technically play those games with just two people at your kitchen table, but without a local scene to establish a meta then games like that usually flounder. 

Darn Skippy with Keyforge & L5R.  I have 16 decks for the last cycle of Keyforge & haven't played a-one-of-them.

I think this is why we say the alpha of Flying Solo for X-Wing.  It's a great time for cooperative play, but terrible for competitive.  Flying Solo is the solo/coop version of X-Wing, which itself can't be played competitively right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duciris said:

Check it/them against the list @Lecitadin scored for us as the mythos packs for Innsmouth:

  1. In Too Deep
  2. Devil Reef
  3. Horror in High Gear
  4. A Light in the Fog
  5. The Lair of Dagon
  6. Into the Maelstrom

All those are listed on their site as well. The one I listed has a different name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the way it’s written I’d expect it to be two, although I think it’s more likely to just be one. Looks like they’ve been quite loose with their language - how do you unbox an announcement? And is it even possible to play one?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I got the impression from the article it was two new products but that graphic does make it slightly vague.  That said they do denote the two entries as Product #1 and Product #2.  I do like the amount of live content they are putting out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Three products!  

  • The Unboxing will be the Twilight Imperium IV: Prophecy of Kings expansion.
  • The Gameplay will be X-Men: Mutant Insurrection
  • There is also some unknown massive-box Descent product.  Descent: Legends of the Dark.

No real news pertaining to the Arkham Files.

  • They announced the 6 mythos packs (which we knew) with their covers.
  • They also addressed War of the Outer Gods.  It's their epic-multiplayer expansion, intended to be used at GenCon & Arkham Nights.  (Normal release is "later this year.")  It's an infinite player count against 3 waring cult factions.
  • 2 vehicle cards for Innsmouth were shown 24:40.
  • 2 new non-investigator books from Aconyte (25:38).  The Last Ritual by S.A. Sidor, and Wrat... of N'K... by Josh R...
    • There are also covers for L5R, Keyforge, Descent.

They didn't address it, but remember there will be a Community Create-a-Card for AH:LCG @4:00PM CDT on Sunday the 2nd of August via Twitch.  (I am not enthused by how many interruptions there were to the livestream last night.)

If you're a Marvel: Champions fan, lots of big news!  After all the (3) known expansions coming out (Hulk, Red Skull, Kang), we found out the release schedule for the foreseeable future (@ 32:00):

  • Ant-Man
  • Wasp
  • Quicksilver
  • Scarlet Witch
  • The Galaxy's Most Wanted (campaign expansion) with Groot & Rocket (playable)
    • Each of the 3 above pairs (Ant-Man & Wasp, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, Groot & Rocket) synergize when played together.  Also, Ant-Man & Wasp have extra large cards for when they take giant form.

Plenty more info - SW: Armada goes Clone Wars, X-Wing gets new ships for all factions except Scum, Keyforge: Dark Tidings (4th set), LotRL Journeys in Middle Earth gets another small-box expansion, L5R's next cycle plus the RPG is getting another adventure & source book.  Plus the 2 of 3 big announcements: TI4 gains 7 factions & and 8th player, along with numerous new mechanics.  The $55 USD X-Men game is a 1-6 player coop game where you choose your team from 15+ X-Men characters, work out of the Xavier Mansion, & use fly to various parts of the world to combat supervillains in dice-throwing combat.  (Looks like 12 dice, 4 red, 4 blue, 4 yellow.)

Quote

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce X-Men: Mutant Insurrection, a fast-paced, cooperative, dice-driven board game for one to six players!

Designed by Richard Launius and Brandon Perdue, X-Men: Mutant Insurrection invites you to travel across the globe on death-defying missions to recruit new mutants, capture criminals, protect innocent lives, and battle against some of the most iconic X-Men villains. You’ll build a team of mutants, with characters like Rogue, Wolverine, and Storm joining forces with Shadowcat, Magik, and Forge. Eight distinct scenarios await, each with their own challenges, and each leading to a no-holds-barred showdown against villains like Magneto, Dark Phoenix, or the Hellfire Club. The Blackbird is ready to launch—join your team and fight for the future!

gencon2020_schedule_v2.jpg

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duciris said:

...

  • ... Also, Ant-Man & Wasp have extra large cards for when they take giant form.

...

I was wrong.  Ant-Man & Wasp will not have separate cards, they will have 3-sided cards.  If you're familiar with the modern Transformers TCG, Ant-Man & Wasp will have a front & back, then unfold to be twice the size with their giant forms on the "3rd side".

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful work @Duciris, much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:
  • They also addressed War of the Outer Gods.  It's their epic-multiplayer expansion, intended to be used at GenCon & Arkham Nights.  (Normal release is "later this year.")  It's an infinite player count against 3 waring cult factions.

I think they later said that the release would be in December. I don't know if this was always planned, but I wonder if they haven't brought it forward further in the hope that they might still be able to hold Arkham Nights this year and debut it there?

20 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I was wrong.  Ant-Man & Wasp will not have separate cards, they will have 3-sided cards.  If you're familiar with the modern Transformers TCG, Ant-Man & Wasp will have a front & back, then unfold to be twice the size with their giant forms on the "3rd side".

Off-topic, but I'm curious. Is it possible to sleeve a "3-sided card"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Wonderful work @Duciris, much appreciated.

I think they later said that the release would be in December. I don't know if this was always planned, but I wonder if they haven't brought it forward further in the hope that they might still be able to hold Arkham Nights this year and debut it there?

Off-topic, but I'm curious. Is it possible to sleeve a "3-sided card"?

It was asked in the stream.  There really isn't a way, other than to sleeve it until he/she goes giant.  I've been scratching my head trying to figure out if it can be done by cutting 2 sleeves (and will definitely try), but I'm not seeing how it would work in both regular and large form.

They said it was a different material which is more resilient to the bending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Transformers cards are just thicker cardboard.

Your weak point is the hinge and as the decks encourage you to change forms this can deteriorate quickly. You would be better of making a proxy card and swapping that out and keeping the card folded in a sleeve.

Or cutting the card along the hinge and sleeving both parts separately. You can put both together to form the giant card like you would with a Keyforge oversized card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The community create-a-card Burn After Reading is available for download under Support >> Player Resources.  (It's too big to image post here).

  • Survivor
  • 2 Cost
  • 1 Wild Icon
  • Event
  • Trait: Insight.
  • Discard or exile a non-weakness card in your hand or play area.  Discover clues at your location equal to half that card's level (rounded up).  If you exiled that card and its level was 2 or higher, also remove 1 doom from the current agenda.
Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of solutions for the 3-sided cards that the Transformers community came up with.  The most popular is a sleeve with a slide inset - you put the card in flat, the slider covers one of the two half-sides, and you flip for the larger version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Duciris said:

The community create-a-card Burn After Reading is available for download under Support >> Player Resources.  (It's too big to image post here).

  • Survivor
  • 2 Cost
  • 1 Wild Icon
  • Event
  • Trait: Insight.
  • Discard or exile a non-weakness card in your hand or play area.  Discover clues at your location equal to half that card's level (rounded up).  If you exiled that card and its level was 2 or higher, also remove 1 doom from the current agenda.

This card feels a little too wonky to me if you compare it to Working a Hunch. It's really oddly conditional as you don't get clues at all if you target a lvl 0 card as far as I can tell. And for some reason, I can burn a lvl 1 ally for the effect, or an old hunting rifle, etc, which is at odds to me with the flavor involved in the name of the card. I hope the final version is a bit different when it makes its way into a released expansion/pack.

I kind of like the flex, but it's a bit of a miss for me in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...