Sign in to follow this  
Back Seat Admiral

Ion technicians in RITR TOO good?

Just wanted to get the opinion of the forum- is the tier 2 gunnery ability “ion technician” too good for the effect and the cost?  I have played against it a few times and starting to feel like it is an auto include in just about any fleet. This to me represents an ability that is too good. If it is, how could you temper it?  Limit to short-medium?  Once per activation? Flagship only?  As it stands, it is essentially a BETTER DTT on every ship ( I say better bc blue dice ALWAYS improve blanks)- should an ability give you an effect that would cost 15+points in a fleet build?  

1 hour ago, Back Seat Admiral said:

Just wanted to get the opinion of the forum- is the tier 2 gunnery ability “ion technician” too good for the effect and the cost?  I have played against it a few times and starting to feel like it is an auto include in just about any fleet. This to me represents an ability that is too good. If it is, how could you temper it?  Limit to short-medium?  Once per activation? Flagship only?  As it stands, it is essentially a BETTER DTT on every ship ( I say better bc blue dice ALWAYS improve blanks)- should an ability give you an effect that would cost 15+points in a fleet build?  

I haven't played ritr so I really can't give an answer.

The only bit of thought provoking I have for you is to ask about opportunity cost.

Is that ability a lot better than the other commander ability options?

Ion Tech is one of the more overpowered abilities in RitR. As it can be used for every single attack you ever make. 
Missed doing damage on a squadron? Try again.
Ah darn, missed out on that acc you need to lock a brace? Try again.

That and Fighter Group Leader make for a really powerful combo.

"While a friendly ship is attacking, it may add 1 blue die to its attack pool. If it does, remove 1 die from attack pool."

It's not so hard to house rule that. Make it "While a friendly ship is attacking a ship..." if it's too good for flak or "Once every round while a ..." if it's too strong all in all.

It's very strong, but it's also a Commander ability that's just weaker effect Sato without the restrictions. That in mind I haven't been overly bothered by it.

Fighter Group Leader....may be too strong, but again, consider that it's essentially BCC/Toryn as your Commander.  (Granted it stacks with those upgrades...so if you really want you can super combo)

Pricing wise the Commander abilities didn't receive points costs so it's difficult to say. 

Your commander gets 4 tiers worth of abilities, so taking this means they can't take the tier 3 version of their main ability. That's the opportunity cost.

Which tier 3 abilities are worth taking instead of Ion Technician? Depends on the build and fleet, of course, but if only a few are better, then Ion Tech is too powerful.

Yes it's too good. You are are getting a reroll, on both attacks, all your flak, use blue at long range and significantly increasing the effectiveness of upgrades depending on blue crits. 

The opportunity cost is pretty low you can still combine it with 2 tier1s or one tier2. 

IMO it should have been when attacking a ship at close or medium range ... and it could probably be changed to once per activation or replace a dice before rolling.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pwmf said:

Yes it's too good. You are are getting a reroll, on both attacks, all your flak, use blue at long range and significantly increasing the effectiveness of upgrades depending on blue crits. 

The opportunity cost is pretty low you can still combine it with 2 tier1s or one tier2. 

IMO it should have been when attacking a ship at close or medium range ... and it could probably be changed to once per activation or replace a dice before rolling.

Never mind, just realized to meant swapping out a red for a blue at long

Edited by Church14

Posted (edited)

Another thing to consider most people are saying it gives you rerolls that is only true if taking leading shots and that only increases its opportunity cost so can't get tier 3 ability and if you want the reroll need leading shots.

Edit:  this is incorrect due to wording of the ability my bad.

Edited by xero989
Edit realized this is incorrect