jocke01

Cad Bane Article

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Darth Rader said:

He is defintively fun, but too expensive for an auto-include. I think that it requires a lot of skill to use him effectively.

Fantastic miniature by the way!

Think the jump speed 2 move with steady and double attacks on his pip 1 is the thing that speaks too me. Gonna be a nasty clone killer :)

Edited by jocke01

Posted (edited)

Im don't play much CIS but this guy may make me play them more...not sure how effective he'll be yet but he looks like a heck of a lotta fun

Edited by bllaw

Cad opens up new mission options for the CIS. Recover the supplies is no longer an auto lose as he can divulge his 3-pip, then set up a bomb/himself to either capture it or defend against its capture from someone infiltrating.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

He isn't auto include until we get a commander under175 pts.

yeah when they spoiled him, I was trying to figure out a way to fit him, 2 tanks and and a commander. I think you can do it, you just don't get upgrades.

Along those lines - - - what upgrades should Cad get?

Comms Jammer seems fun, but is 5 points.

Gear -  I don't think he'll need because of Jump most of the time.

Training could be Duck and Cover just to try and keep him alive (depending on his companion, you may be able to shed some of that suppression, but probably not)

Offensive Push seems good, but kind of a one-use only.

Maybe Endurance if your terrain style is sparse and you're going to get shot at?

Edited by buckero0

27 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Along those lines - - - what upgrades should Cad get?

Comms Jammer seems fun, but is 5 points.

Gear -  I don't think he'll need because of Jump most of the time.

Training could be Duck and Cover just to try and keep him alive (depending on his companion, you may be able to shed some of that suppression, but probably not)

Offensive Push seems good, but kind of a one-use only.

Maybe Endurance if your terrain style is sparse and you're going to get shot at?

For Comms I am thinking HQ Uplink for Trained in Your Jedi Arts/Fear, Surprise, Intimidation turns.  Nothing else seems particularly compelling.

For Training, Hunter or Offensive Push are tempting, but I think Duck and Cover is stapled to him.  He's Courage 3, has Danger Sense 2, and his 2 Pip lets him give his Suppression tokens away.  Plus if you have HQ Uplink and/or Electro Gauntlets, you might be Recovering once in a while.

The only Gear I think is worth taking is Emergency Stims.

The Grenade slot seems completely pointless.  I wouldn't even consider taking a grenade on him.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

The Grenade slot seems completely pointless.  I wouldn't even consider taking a grenade on him.

yeah, 2 training slots might have been too good, but I can't think of putting anything else on him except Training and maybe the gauntlets. I would like to see Duck and Cover improved or something though. All the units I want to put that one seem to need way more help than other units or need a point reduction (Jyn, Pathfinders, Wookiees, even my scout commandos)

Edited by buckero0

25 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

All the units I want to put that one seem to need way more help than other units or need a point reduction (Jyn, Pathfinders, Wookiees, even my scout commandos)

Oh crap is Cad Bane the first unit that really wants Duck and Cover stapled to him and is not weak?!?!?!?!............... I mean there is a good chance he will get no play time because of CIS commanders being so expensive, buuuuut that is besides the point!

26 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Oh crap is Cad Bane the first unit that really wants Duck and Cover stapled to him and is not weak?!?!?!?!............... I mean there is a good chance he will get no play time because of CIS commanders being so expensive, buuuuut that is besides the point!

I think Cad is going to see a lot of play. The real downfall of him though, is that he has three amazing command cards, which means aggressive tactics becomes less viable on the chosen Commander. Without those surges, the droids suffer immensely, and unlike the GAR's phase 2 units, CIS has no way of natively getting surge tokens.

13 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

I think Cad is going to see a lot of play. The real downfall of him though, is that he has three amazing command cards, which means aggressive tactics becomes less viable on the chosen Commander. Without those surges, the droids suffer immensely, and unlike the GAR's phase 2 units, CIS has no way of natively getting surge tokens.

While that is a negative, it's also an issue with DTF lists, and those lists have dealt with it pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

While that is a negative, it's also an issue with DTF lists, and those lists have dealt with it pretty well. 

But DTF relies more on Dooku's amazing cards with generics thrown in, i know i leave GG'S cards out of my deck because i find that they're hot garbage.

DTF could swap out GG for Cad and not really miss GG 

54 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

But DTF relies more on Dooku's amazing cards with generics thrown in, i know i leave GG'S cards out of my deck because i find that they're hot garbage.

DTF could swap out GG for Cad and not really miss GG 

Grievous 1-pip is amazing, especially when you pull it off against grouped enemies (GAR is especially susceptible since they want token sharing). The other two are indeed trash. That means Dooku is commanding 5/6 cards, and the turn He isn’t, Grievous is likely laying a beating (and suppressing) a bunch of units. I think Cad wants all of his cards, so now Dooku would only be in charge 3/6. Also note that DTF relies on 2 Commanders and a bunch of Corps at the moment. An operative will upset that activation control, as will other things like BX

32 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Grievous 1-pip is amazing, especially when you pull it off against grouped enemies (GAR is especially susceptible since they want token sharing). The other two are indeed trash. That means Dooku is commanding 5/6 cards, and the turn He isn’t, Grievous is likely laying a beating (and suppressing) a bunch of units. I think Cad wants all of his cards, so now Dooku would only be in charge 3/6. Also note that DTF relies on 2 Commanders and a bunch of Corps at the moment. An operative will upset that activation control, as will other things like BX

i agree with everything except Grevious 1 pip, that card has failed me so often that i can no longer ever consider it good. The last straw was when i moved GG into R1 of my opponents entire army, i rolled against 11 units and made 3 wounds. Without surge that attack is so bad .

11 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

i agree with everything except Grevious 1 pip, that card has failed me so often that i can no longer ever consider it good. The last straw was when i moved GG into R1 of my opponents entire army, i rolled against 11 units and made 3 wounds. Without surge that attack is so bad .

You also handed out 11-21 Suppression (assuming you were in melee with one of the units). That alone is pretty fantastic, especially if Grievous activated first. 

28 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

You also handed out 11-21 Suppression (assuming you were in melee with one of the units). That alone is pretty fantastic, especially if Grievous activated first. 

he did, but it was like turn 5 on key positions , i needed to clear stuff off of the middle, i went in with his attack rolled like crap, then hit every unit available and rolled like crap again. then 2 wookies rolled 5 dice and hit 5 times , GG had 4 wounds left and more crap rolling. since then i have left GG on the shelf and taken Dooku

10 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

he did, but it was like turn 5 on key positions , i needed to clear stuff off of the middle, i went in with his attack rolled like crap, then hit every unit available and rolled like crap again. then 2 wookies rolled 5 dice and hit 5 times , GG had 4 wounds left and more crap rolling. since then i have left GG on the shelf and taken Dooku

Turn 5? You didn’t take any activations off in previous turns? Bad dice rolling is bad dice rolling, but that’s not a units fault. 

7 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

Oh crap is Cad Bane the first unit that really wants Duck and Cover stapled to him and is not weak?!?!?!?!...............

i think his strength is his command cards, otherwise he's less tough tham Jyn. Jump and move-n-shoot is awesome but if you corner him, he'll take 4-5 wounds in one attack. He'll be good, danger sense and white dice are still a mixed bag is all I'm saying. Cassian with 3-4 dodge tokens is how danger sense was meant to be.

7 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

Ummm jyn and Pathfinders....

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, buckero0 said:

i think his strength is his command cards, otherwise he's less tough tham Jyn. Jump and move-n-shoot is awesome but if you corner him, he'll take 4-5 wounds in one attack. He'll be good, danger sense and white dice are still a mixed bag is all I'm saying. Cassian with 3-4 dodge tokens is how danger sense was meant to be.

I agree that Jyn is tougher more consistently (I hate the randomness of danger sense and the white dice on her tho), but Cad Bane should not really be getting shot at in a perfect world? Like you said Cad Bane has his command cards and his tokens to make it that he does not get shot at until he wants to. Throw in his 1 Pip and the first time he gets shot at he should have at worse light cover, uncanny luck 2, and one danger sense from duck and cover. Then the opponent has to decide if he really wants to try and shoot that knowing if he lives those suppression tokens are coming back at them next turn.

Also Cassian is a beast that has been able to bring Jyn into the competitive scene (pathfinders not so much lol). Intersting that the invader league builds don't really seem to take him with duck and cover?

20 hours ago, Mokoshkana said:

So I wonder how well Grievous will work with Cad Bane? Seems like the only viable option at the moment and both look like they can really dominate one side of a board.

It does seem like Dooku wants to go solo or bust.  Generic commander maybe? Allows Dooku to have another commander token and and feed the BXs?

Edited by RyantheFett