Reavern

Clone Wars Factions Fleet Starters

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Not exactly. Damage cards must be dealt to a ship. Players may draw as many as they want. It does nothing.

Have some imagination. This could be easily rectified with a simple rules upgrade in the appropriate expansion.

McWhopper_Billboard_6x3_OliveBranch-web.

Edited by Rmcarrier1

Posted (edited)

Jar Jar Binks

24 points

"When a friendly ship activates, before it reveals a command dial, you may select the top command dial of any ship controlled by the opponent you haven't selected this round. Reveal it and your own.  If the commands match you may gain a matching token, the opponent ship gains a matching raid token. If they do not match you gain a raid token matching both commands. If there are no valid dials to select, this card does nothing. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Have some imagination. This could be easily rectified with a simple rules upgrade in the appropriate expansion.

McWhopper_Billboard_6x3_OliveBranch-web.

Sure but why not wording it within the actual rules? It's not like you want for him to do something it cannot be done already.

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see Jar Jar as a boarding team. Place him on an upgrade card on another ship, and nullify its effect. Unlike most boarding teams, he doesn't stop there. The opponent can spend a squad dial or token to move him off their ship onto another ship, and could do the very same thing to you. Maybe your opponent wants Jar Jar off an important ship, and kicks him off to another less important ship in their gun line. It becomes a mini game of Jar Jar hot potato passing bad luck around.

Edited by BigPoppaPalpatine

I would like to see (if Jar Jar has to be included) his effect like that of Hondo officer. Instead of handing out command tokens he can hand out raid tokens. As usual the owning player hands out two different raid tokens then the other player hands out the other two.

Spreads mayhem. Might be a bit powerful, perhaps limit it to turn 1 only.

3 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

I would like to see (if Jar Jar has to be included) his effect like that of Hondo officer. Instead of handing out command tokens he can hand out raid tokens. As usual the owning player hands out two different raid tokens then the other player hands out the other two.

Or do it literally like Hondo, but with dials instead of tokens.  IE.,

At the start of the game, place 4 command dials on Jar-Jar's card set to different commands.

Before the Ship Phase of a round, you may discard Jar-Jar to place two of the command dials on top of the command stack of 2 of your ships.  Your enemy must take the remaining two dials and place them as the top command on 2 of their ships.  (In all cases temporarily exceeding the existing command stack requirement)

That would probably work as an officer.  If you wanted him to be a Commander, I would add the nuance that the 4 dials could be set to anything you want - retaining the 'I pick two, then you have to take the others' when Jar-Jar is discarded - but let the enemy REFUSE them, if he wants.  If refused, Jar-Jar is returned to his active side and you set 4 more dials on him for potential re-use using the same rules in a later turn.

9 hours ago, xanderf said:

At the start of the game, place 4 command dials on Jar-Jar's card set to different commands.

Before the Ship Phase of a round, you may discard Jar-Jar to place two of the command dials on top of the command stack of 2 of your ships.  Your enemy must take the remaining two dials and place them as the top command on 2 of their ships.  (In all cases temporarily exceeding the existing command stack requirement)

That would probably work as an officer.  If you wanted him to be a Commander, I would add the nuance that the 4 dials could be set to anything you want - retaining the 'I pick two, then you have to take the others' when Jar-Jar is discarded - but let the enemy REFUSE them, if he wants.  If refused, Jar-Jar is returned to his active side and you set 4 more dials on him for potential re-use using the same rules in a later turn.

That works very differently from Hondo though. Hondo doesn't require that players place command tokens on their own ships, they just need to be different ships. 

Posted (edited)

I had a sudden brief moment of seeing a Jar Jar Officer/commander that allows you to swap the top dials of 4 ships.

You choose 2 ships and your opponent chooses 2. Then you look at all 4 command dials and place two of them back on ships of your choice. Your opponent places the last two.

Edited by Church14

12 hours ago, xanderf said:

2 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

That works very differently from Hondo though. Hondo doesn't require that players place command tokens on their own ships, they just need to be different ships. 

Also there is no need for selecting the dials if each one must be different. Just choose commands and get dials. Which by the way works in practice just as a liason or those command related officer. You place the command on the top but still only reveal one. So you just "changed" your top dial. But it's actually worse at long term cause during the command phase you won't assign a new dial as the ship already has up to its command value, so yes, you got a desired command when you needed but got stuck with the rest which means you had to set the following dials one round earlier than you were supposed to.

15 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

I like this but I hardly see him played as this. You get two raid tokens that are the less harmful to you on the ship where they impact is minimal to get your opponent the rest that he may also put on ship he cares less. So unless the situation is really good for you it's gonna be a meh card at best.

What if you may choose your opponent raid token and ships? That's more useful as you get to choose the right raid for the right ship at the right time. But it may come with the same cost for you.

14 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

But it's actually worse at long term cause during the command phase you won't assign a new dial as the ship already has up to its command value, so yes, you got a desired command when you needed but got stuck with the rest which means you had to set the following dials one round earlier than you were supposed to.

Indeed, so it's potentially really useful but actually kind of terrible, yes?  Like...Jar-Jar?

5 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Indeed, so it's potentially really useful but actually kind of terrible, yes?  Like...Jar-Jar?

Sure but the thing is that with a 3-6 point you get an officer that does the basically the same without the downside.

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

I like this but I hardly see him played as this. You get two raid tokens that are the less harmful to you on the ship where they impact is minimal to get your opponent the rest that he may also put on ship he cares less. So unless the situation is really good for you it's gonna be a meh card at best.

What if you may choose your opponent raid token and ships? That's more useful as you get to choose the right raid for the right ship at the right time. But it may come with the same cost for you.

Hondo allows you to place tokens on any 2 ships (enemy or friendly), so I don't see why Mad Cat's Jar Jar wouldn't work the same way.

Jar jar binks, commander. 

The first time Jar Jar's ship receives a damage card, that card will be dealt face up. Once you're done screwing up your own ship, grab all of the opponent's dials, shuffle them around and redistribute them randomly on your enemy's ships. It's okay if you lose a dial or two in the process. 

Jar Jar Binks Commander — 24 pts

„After an enemy ship received damage for overlapping obstacles or another ship, friendly to that ship, deal an calamity token to that ship. After the battle you may choose a ship not having a calamity token. If you do so, the fleet points of this ship count towards your score. If the ship had been destroyed the points for this ship are doubled.“

Meaning if Jar Jar is on board the enemy starts to behave in a funny way.

It's just over 2 weeks until FFG's In-Flight Report at GenCon Online.

I'm eager to find out exactly what the Galactic Republic and Separatist Fleet Starters contain. Not just the ships, but the Commanders and other upgrade cards too, and perhaps squadrons.

18 hours ago, Revan Reborn said:

It's just over 2 weeks until FFG's In-Flight Report at GenCon Online.

I'm eager to find out exactly what the Galactic Republic and Separatist Fleet Starters contain. Not just the ships, but the Commanders and other upgrade cards too, and perhaps squadrons.

I am as well. I'm particularly curious to see what irregular squadrons they will have. They could port Nym over to the Republic I suppose, but what other single ship squadrons does everyone think may be introduced?

1 hour ago, kenngp said:

I am as well. I'm particularly curious to see what irregular squadrons they will have. They could port Nym over to the Republic I suppose, but what other single ship squadrons does everyone think may be introduced?

Thw twilight or whatever anakins freighter ship was called in clone wars

3 hours ago, kenngp said:

Darth Maul, maybe Ventress? 

3 hours ago, kenngp said:

Grievous. That you may deploy at distance 1 of your flagship and run away.

2 hours ago, eliteone said:

Darth Maul, maybe Ventress? 

I think Maul in the Scimitar and Ventress in her Blade-Fin fighter will be in a Clone Wars version of a "Rogues & Villains" pack. Their ships were unique so I doubt they'll be in the Separatists Fighter Squadrons pack, but they'd be suitable for a CW Rogues & Villains pack. Cad Bane in a Rogue-class fighter would be great. Hondo could be another villain. And Jango Fett in Slave-1 is almost a guarantee.

Anakin in the Twilight could be a Republic squadron in the CW Rogues & Villains pack. Nym's another possibility, but 1 duplicate squadron out of only 4 seems like a waste, and I'd prefer something new.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Revan Reborn said:

I think Maul in the Scimitar and Ventress in her Blade-Fin fighter will be in a Clone Wars version of a "Rogues & Villains" pack. Their ships were unique so I doubt they'll be in the Separatists Fighter Squadrons pack, but they'd be suitable for a CW Rogues & Villains pack. Cad Bane in a Rogue-class fighter would be great. Hondo could be another villain. And Jango Fett in Slave-1 is almost a guarantee.

Anakin in the Twilight could be a Republic squadron in the CW Rogues & Villains pack. Nym's another possibility, but 1 duplicate squadron out of only 4 seems like a waste, and I'd prefer something new.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think a Rogues & Villains 2 pack could potentially offer something for everyone: Clone Wars and original faction players. Dryden Vos, Lando (in his Lady Luck), Mando, Jango (lots of 'O' names), Dr. Aphra... combine those with Maul, Anakin's Twilight, perhaps Ventress' fanblade fighter? Bo Katan's Gauntlet? The Silver Angel from S7 of Clone Wars? Perhaps not much for the Rebels (Mando?), but the Republic, Separatists, and Empire all have more options.

Edited by Rmcarrier1

Seems like there is quite a few good options for the Seperatists, not so much for the Republic.

Perhaps they should put Anakin’s ship in with a ship expansion like they did with the (useless) Gauntlets & the Chimera 😆