Reavern

Clone Wars Factions Fleet Starters

Today it was discovered that a Canadian board game supplier posted the Clone Wars Armada expansions on their website. These Clone Wars expansions are the same 6 expansions that were leaked from a FFG Upcoming Products List by a European board game distributor a few months ago. The FFG Armada product codes match, which strongly supports their authenticity.

image.thumb.png.2a581696add2023ac453a8e67ee6e5bb.png

There's very little info; just the names of the expansions and their Armada product codes. The linked product pages don't contain any more information, there are no pictures are available ATM, and the prices are locked behind a retailer login requirement.

There are two small but significant differences between the two leaks. In the Canadian version, the Galactic Republic Fleet and Separatist Fleet products are referred to as "Starters" instead of "Fleet Expansions". That suggests they are faction-specific Starter Kits and contain essential accessories for Armada, i.e. dice, range tool, movement tool, tokens, and a damage deck. If that's the case, the Clone Wars Fleet Starters are presumably intended to help new players get into Armada, instead of requiring them to buy an Armada core set.

If that's the case, I expect there will also be Clone Wars Ship Expansions containing individual ships, like normal. They haven't been listed yet, but I think it's safe to assume they're coming. I can't imagine that FFG intends for existing players to buy Starter Kits that we don't need. Existing players are more likely to pre-order and buy the Clone Wars Armada products as soon as they hit the shelves, and if they sell out immediately, new players won't be able to get their hands on them. It makes more sense if FFG releases Clone Wars ship expansions for existing players to buy.

Perhaps FFG is deliberately withholding the product info for those CW ship expansions so the names of the Clone Wars ships don't leak prematurely.

54 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

(with the exception of Jar-Jar; sorry, Ahmed Best)

I say this with all seriousness: I would love a Jar Jar officer or commander. He gives the design space an opportunity for something a little off the wall, silly, and/or unconventional. Something that disrupts both sides, but maybe you can use that disruption to your advantage. 

40 minutes ago, bkcammack said:

I say this with all seriousness: I would love a Jar Jar officer or commander. He gives the design space an opportunity for something a little off the wall, silly, and/or unconventional. Something that disrupts both sides, but maybe you can use that disruption to your advantage. 

Jar Jar would either be worthless, or absolutely game-breaking and I refuse any card effect in between.

31 minutes ago, Alzer said:

Jar Jar would either be worthless, or absolutely game-breaking and I refuse any card effect in between.

You may be right, but I still want to see it, even if it’s worthless or incredibly niche. 

2 hours ago, bkcammack said:

Not opposed, not opposed. 😆

2 hours ago, bkcammack said:

Jar Jar Binks (Commander):  25 points.  When you activate a ship, draw a damage card.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

When you activate a ship, [each player draws] a damage card. 😂

When you activate, you may draw a damage card. If you do, you may choose an enemy ship at distance 1-5. That ship draws 1 (face-up, maybe?) damage card. 

Or maybe at the start of the ship phase?

Edited by bkcammack
Added alternate timing.

6 hours ago, bkcammack said:

Make him like Hondo where he affects both sides but turn it up to 11... I want to see him create chaos and excitement!

48 minutes ago, Alzer said:

I like the "deal damage your ships, deal more damage to opponents's ships" as an effect. Not sure I'd want auto- face ups running around though. 

Maybe something along the lines of "Roll up to 3? red dice and apply them to any hull zone on one of your ships and an equal number of black dice for one of your opponents ships and applied them to the same hull zone."

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Formynder4 said:

For the worthless side of things, what about 3 points and "When you reveal a command, you may look at all command dials assigned to 1 enemy ship."

That would be awesome! Why hasn’t FFG thought of...oh, wait. Never mind. 

Edited by bkcammack
Typo

5 hours ago, Atromix said:

Make him like Hondo where he affects both sides but turn it up to 11... I want to see him create chaos and excitement!

jar-jar Binks admiral 20pts "at the first activation of each of your turns, take all command dials from all ships form both sides in play and redistribute them randomly according to each ship command value"

THAT will create chaos on the board😁

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

I kind of want a Jar Jar commander that has:

“When activating a ship, you may draw two faceup damage cards. Assign one to you and one to an enemy ship at distance 1-5. “

You probably get the better of it, but both might be rotten for you. 

Players use different damage decks. Also when activating , without other restrictions Jar Jar could kill an Onager on the very first round.

Better at the star of the round or exhausting it or when YOU activate.

And for the deck issues it could be better to change it to something like each player reveals the top x damage cards. Actually to balance him a bit more Jar Jar cards must be dealt to "you". This way you could cripple target ships at the price of cumulative damage on your flagship. Less value flagship? Less damage card it may take.

52 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Players use different damage decks. Also when activating , without other restrictions Jar Jar could kill an Onager on the very first round.

Better at the star of the round or exhausting it or when YOU activate.

And for the deck issues it could be better to change it to something like each player reveals the top x damage cards. Actually to balance him a bit more Jar Jar cards must be dealt to "you". This way you could cripple target ships at the price of cumulative damage on your flagship. Less value flagship? Less damage card it may take.

I forgot about the separate decks. That messes with the idea pretty hard.