Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

What would X-Wing be like with a 4 Ship Minimum Requirement?

Posted (edited)

What would the best list(s) be in each faction for extended or hyper assuming unchanged points? What impact would it have on the meta? Would any archetype or faction be disproportionately favored by the restriction? Would it be more fun?

Edited by Boom Owl

45w1ah.jpg

Rebels and Separatists would be almost unchanged. Resistance would lose the current Rey+ lists but the good ones are already 4+ ships. Empire loses pure ace lists (in a good way, imo). FO would be pressed even more towards FauxSalads than they already are. Scum has some amazing 4ship lists right now, but they are overshadowed by the obvious ones. Republic has great lists at 4+.

However, such a change effectively removes several ships and specific pilots. Defenders, Silencers. Generally ships that are now 75+ points would be hard pressed to justify their presence. That includes Rey, Boba, Kylo, Anakin7b, Vader, Fenn, and many more. It would also require more added hyperspace ships for some factions, V19 and Z95 off the top of my head.

I am pretty sure that I would personally benefit from such a change and the game might end up at an overall healthier spot, but I don't like it. Lists like triple silencers are simply too cool on the table to ban them, and the requirement is imo more restrictive than the change from extended to hyperspace! But for a one-off event it would be awesome.

Posted (edited)

Possible 4 Ship Min Hyperspace List Examples: 

• Han Luke A A 
  • Luke Braylen Ten Jake
  • Vader Duchess Tie Tie Tie (Tie) 
  • Vader Duchess Countdown Sabacc
  • Fenn Fang Fang Fang/Nom
  • Boba + 4 AB Sycks
  • 5A 
  • Poe + Zizi Tali + Fire Fire 
  • Kylo Torps + 4 FO 
  • BA + SF + FO FO FO 
  • Kylo Blackout/BA + 2 FO 
  • Obi Plo + 3 N1s 
  • Obi Plo Ric Wolffe
  • CIS The Normal Stuff 

Im genuinely not sure what the top faction would be. Just a hypothetical question, not an actual intended restriction to either format. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)

Fun is... pretty subjective. I like Xwing games with lots of ships on the board, but I'm not sure on impossing that on other players.

Plus, SW movies have awesome scenes of a handful (even just 2) pilots against superior numbers. Is a "scenario" I don't want to see removed.

Edited by LUZ_TAK

27 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Is OPs idea of fun, I can't have fun so you shouldn't have fun either? 

What is up with these restriction threads? 

To be fair, if there's a really good ace player involved the game usually feels like it has devolved into "I have no right choices" fairly quickly. I'm not saying I agree with the statement, but aces to greater or lesser extent generally feel like the X-Wing equivalent of MTG's Blue, and everyone hates Blue.

As a suggestion, I think it's a terrible suggestion.

As a thought experiment...

• Hrm.  I feel like Rebels don't look great.  A-Wings are really expensive compared to other filler (29 vs 22/25 for most factions), so that makes trying to squeeze in one extra filler ship into an otherwise 3-ship list isn't great, but Rebels with more ships haven't been doing great in HS either.
  • Imperials have nice easy TIE Fighters at 22, or maybe even generic strikers at 31 with 3 red dice.  But it's kind of the Rebel Problem.  My sense is Imps aren't great in HS in general, so even though they'll have an easy time meeting the requirement, doesn't look too impressive.
  • Scum are at least OK.  Boba can't run with Fenn anymore, but Boba + 3 Scyks is probably a solid squad.
  • Resistance.  A little bit better at the 3 ship + extra filler than Rebels, but most Resistance lists were probably 4 ship lists already in HS.  Only Rey in extended is at all put-out by the requirement.  Should be about the same with such a restriction.
  • First Order.  Pour 40 for trip silencer.  2 TIE/fo will easily fit instead, and the lists will be fine, but I mourn a fun list.  TIE Silencers other than Kylo are bad aces, and bad aces are great.
  • Republic.  Doesn't change Hyperspace, since the loss of 7B seems like it'd already killed 3-ship archetypes.  At least in Extended they can take Torrents, but Torrents aren't quite as special these days, now that Scyks and TIE/fo are cheap.
    • Republic in Hyperspace is just really different.  Essentially impossible to spend less than 33 points on a ship, but nearly impossible to spend more than 60.  They're kind of forced into 4-5 ships by list Tetris, regardless of what they might want to do.
  • CIS.  Here I'm oddly sad.  Only bad CIS lists didn't run 4+ ships, so it was bad creative lists, mostly, which would exist.  At least, that's how it'd be now, post Hate nerf.

3 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

What impact would it have on the meta? Would any archetype or faction be disproportionately favored by the restriction? Would it be more fun?

Epic needs more than 4 ships.

Epic is the most you can have.

It would utterly F Epic.

Therefore is would not be more fun.

There ya go.  A rock-solid logical proof.

Let's lock this thread and move on. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Epic needs more than 4 ships.

Epic is the most you can have.

It would utterly F Epic.

Therefore is would not be more fun.

There ya go.  A rock-solid logical proof.

Let's lock this thread and move on. 

Ah DM a MINIMUM of 4 ships not a Max? How would this do anything to Epic? It doesn’t.....

Edited by Ronu

4 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

What would X-Wing be like with a 4 Ship Minimum Requirement?

better

What would the best list(s) be in each faction for extended or hyper assuming unchanged points?

better

What impact would it have on the meta? 

Improve it

Would any archetype or faction be disproportionately favored by the restriction?

Fun ones

Would it be more fun?

Yes.

Posted (edited)

Hey! @SOTL @Stay OT Leader @Stay On The Leader @Blail Blerg

Welcome to another hypothetical question thread. 

I can't see your comments but the topic is intended only as a question to think more about 4+ ship lists across factions.

Not necessarily something I would expect to see changed for core formats. 

Hope your doing well. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

45w1ah.jpg

Ewwww >_<

6 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Welcome to another hypothetical question thread. 

And I like it! Makes me think out of the box!

45ya85.jpg

What would the best list(s) be in each faction for extended or hyper assuming unchanged points?

-not shure if best, but for sure already good: 4 Fangs. And I like the 2BWings with Xwing and YWing.

What impact would it have on the meta?

-idk

Would any archetype or faction be disproportionately favored by the restriction?

-I have no glasbowl....

Would it be more fun?

IMHO no.

Edited by Dragon_King

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gennataos said:

🤮

What?

You don't like the thought of a game which was designed to promote creative freedom in a competitive environment reducing that creative bubble down to an extremely confined creative bubble?  

You can have any choice you like! 

As long as it's 4-8 ships within one of seven factions and a somewhat arbitrarily vetted pool of pilots and upgrades between the months of June 2020 and January 2021 during the reasonable hours of 10:25 AM and 11:47 PM and........

Edited by Bucknife
Extra sass

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Just saying, more than half of people already play 4+ ships

The constraint is maybe ridiculous, but we do it to ourselves anyway

The devs seem to certainly encourage it.

Minus Boba+1 and Whisper/Rexler/RAC+1. 

...ReyPoe doesn't count. 

Neither does Sunny&Cher.

Or LukeWedge. 

Or DashRoark (r.i.p.)

_____

I feel like a huge part of the issue is managing the matchup curve. 

Washing everything out to flatten the matchup curve would kill the game for me. 

I like having great advantages in certain matches at the cost of a steep climb in others. 

Just not impossibly steep. 

That's the tricky part of 2-8 ships. 

Edited by Bucknife