Sign in to follow this  
Rune Taq

Cannon Factions that could work in Armada

On 6/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, Piratical Moustache said:

The big one everyone forgets is the Corporate Sector Authority which has a sizable military that is partly Imperial surplus and in-house designs. They are Canon again and were discreet financial backers of the First Order. Cantonica (Canto Bight) was a part of the Corporate Sector although I don't remember if that was mentioned in TLJ.

Given how the Clone Wars ended up developing (so INCREDIBLY differently from what the old EU had thought it would be), I rather suspect the Corporate Sector Authority is just one of the surviving factions of the CIS.  (We know the Mining Guild also survived into the Imperial era).

One way the Star Wars setting grew that wasn't expected was how little the Empire really directly controlled.  In the old EU, it was implied the Empire ruled EVERYTHING.  In the new reality, the Empire seems to certainly be the galaxy's largest superpower, but it exists alongside quite a number of independent systems and guilds factions on its borders and within it, nevermind the Outer Rim and Unknown Regions of the galaxy where it never did exert any continuous practical control at all.

It definitely leaves a wide canvas for authors and creators to work within, although I tend to agree much depends on what we end up seeing "on-screen".

12 minutes ago, xanderf said:

One way the Star Wars setting grew that wasn't expected was how little the Empire really directly controlled.  In the old EU, it was implied the Empire ruled EVERYTHING.  In the new reality, the Empire seems to certainly be the galaxy's largest superpower, but it exists alongside quite a number of independent systems and guilds factions on its borders and within it, nevermind the Outer Rim and Unknown Regions of the galaxy where it never did exert any continuous practical control at all.

I have to disagree with that as the old EU had small to medium government not under Imperial control like the Hapes Consortium, CSA, Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium, Duskhan League, etc. Not to mention Hutt Space where the Imperial military was slowly trying to control without destroying the Outer/Mid Rim economy.

2 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I have to disagree with that as the old EU had small to medium government not under Imperial control like the Hapes Consortium, CSA, Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium, Duskhan League, etc. Not to mention Hutt Space where the Imperial military was slowly trying to control without destroying the Outer/Mid Rim economy.

Part of the problem with the old EU - much of what was or wasn't true about it would jump radically from one author to the next.

(I mean, you're not wrong - heck, the super-EARLY-early-EU, around the time of the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels, probably had the smallest concept of Imperial strength of any of the settings)

GENERALLY, though, and especially in the later EU, the Empire tended to be more The Only Thing Going On besides the Rebellion.

16 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Part of the problem with the old EU - much of what was or wasn't true about it would jump radically from one author to the next.

(I mean, you're not wrong - heck, the super-EARLY-early-EU, around the time of the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels, probably had the smallest concept of Imperial strength of any of the settings)

GENERALLY, though, and especially in the later EU, the Empire tended to be more The Only Thing Going On besides the Rebellion.

Honestly I would have liked it if the Empire was at war with multiple governments in the movies, and the Rebel Alliance was the enemy within to topple it. If that was the case then the Imperial military industrial complex would have made far more sense as little to none of it was effectively designed to stop rebellions. The Death Star having been made as an attempt to force these rival governments to capitulate also makes the battle station a little more logical.

I think the Yuuzhan Vong would be perfect for Armada. The Vong have all sizes and classes of warships, Coralskipper and Slayer Ship starfighters, several dozen named characters for Commanders and Officers, and an assortment of biotech for Upgrade cards. 

latest?cb=20090214004746

The Yuuzhan Vong were downgraded to Legends when Disney discarded the EU, but there have been numerous references made to the Vong as "the Far Outsiders" as the enemy of the Chiss in the Unknown Regions. Also, Dave Filoni had an idea about the Yuuzhan Vong appearing in an episode of Star Wars Rebels, but that never happened.

latest?cb=20150417094444

IMO the Yuuzhan Vong are the most fully fleshed out faction in the Star Wars EU/Legends that could realistically rival the Empire and other Armada factions.

Also, the Yuuzhan Vong are ideally suited for X-Wing and Legion games because they had starfighters and armies. FFG could create Yuuzhan Vong content for all three of their major Star Wars miniatures games.

As much as I would like the Yuuzhan Vong to be re-Canonized it's likely that the movie or method of reintroduction would be rated R which Disney won't approve. Deadpool 3 is dead in the water because of this R aversion. The First Order sort of took their place as invaders from the Unknown Regions.

24 minutes ago, geek19 said:

The Yuuzhan Vong weren't good though. Like, as a concept even.

Honestly curious about what you didn't like about the series besides the big point of controversy that was Chewbacca's death? I had mixed feelings about it but I understand the writer's reasoning for doing it. 

I have no strong feelings (for or against) concerning the Vong, but I am a more-the-merrier type (or try to be, at least), so I say, Why not? If the game could support it and there was an audience for it? Sure! Would I buy into the faction? Very likely no, but I think it's important to support things even lacking a personal motivation.

3 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

Honestly curious about what you didn't like about the series besides the big point of controversy that was Chewbacca's death? I had mixed feelings about it but I understand the writer's reasoning for doing it. 

They had marketed it as this WHOLE NEW ERA for star wars, but like, nothing changed between it and the stuff that came before. They killed off Chewie sure, and Anakin, but everyone else that died was a bit player at best. So no one of note died. Add to that the fact that YV as described are so 90s they should be wearing backwards baseball caps. They're really into PAIN and SUFFERING and have tattoos and darkness and arent in your Force, maaaaaaaan.

Combine it with the fact that their existence gave Thrawn fanboys even more to worship him for and I just thought it was bland. Here, we set up Jacen as evil for.... reasons! And a whole bunch of characters that you didnt like in here now are really going to be important! Pass.

2 hours ago, geek19 said:

They had marketed it as this WHOLE NEW ERA for star wars, but like, nothing changed between it and the stuff that came before. They killed off Chewie sure, and Anakin, but everyone else that died was a bit player at best. So no one of note died. Add to that the fact that YV as described are so 90s they should be wearing backwards baseball caps. They're really into PAIN and SUFFERING and have tattoos and darkness and arent in your Force, maaaaaaaan.

Combine it with the fact that their existence gave Thrawn fanboys even more to worship him for and I just thought it was bland. Here, we set up Jacen as evil for.... reasons! And a whole bunch of characters that you didnt like in here now are really going to be important! Pass.

In defense of the authors some decisions were forced on them by Lucas himself. He vetoed Luke's proposed death and dictated that the new villains couldn't be Force users. Evil Jacen was a dumb idea I can agree with you there.

22 hours ago, Reavern said:

I think the Yuuzhan Vong would be perfect for Armada. The Vong have all sizes and classes of warships, Coralskipper and Slayer Ship starfighters, several dozen named characters for Commanders and Officers, and an assortment of biotech for Upgrade cards. 

latest?cb=20090214004746

The Yuuzhan Vong were downgraded to Legends when Disney discarded the EU, but there have been numerous references made to the Vong as "the Far Outsiders" as the enemy of the Chiss in the Unknown Regions. Also, Dave Filoni had an idea about the Yuuzhan Vong appearing in an episode of Star Wars Rebels, but that never happened.

latest?cb=20150417094444

IMO the Yuuzhan Vong are the most fully fleshed out faction in the Star Wars EU/Legends that could realistically rival the Empire and other Armada factions.

Also, the Yuuzhan Vong are ideally suited for X-Wing and Legion games because they had starfighters and armies. FFG could create Yuuzhan Vong content for all three of their major Star Wars miniatures games.

I could be wrong but I think that YV camio was going to be in TCW.  Something about a drifting scout shop found by the Jedi.

5 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

I could be wrong but I think that YV camio was going to be in TCW.  Something about a drifting scout shop found by the Jedi.

From Wookieepedia:

"At Celebration Anaheim in 2015, Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo revealed at their The Untold Clone Wars panel that before the show was canceled, there had been plans for the Yuuzhan Vong to potentially appear in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. Sketches of the species drawn by Filoni for the show were shown at the panel. The Vong were to be featured in a The X-files-esque episode in which the Yuuzhan Vong aboard their scout ship would perform an abduction trying to assess the strength of the Galactic Republic and what the Jedi were. According to Hidalgo, however, the story would have just implied the origins of the Yuuzhan Vong and they weren't immune to the Force to better align George Lucas' description of the Force."

So they were going to do some revisions to address some of the criticism, but the Clone Wars was canceled before stuff like that could happen.

On 6/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, shmitty said:

Without Rebels Armada would have run out of ships awhile ago.  

Nah they would have just pulled more stuff from legends

As someone who would like more campaign stuff and thematic scenarios (not to mention RPG-crossover use), my main wish would actually be a generalized "minor powers" sort of fraction encompassing everything from civillians to scum and local defense forces. Transports, off-brand warships, bulk freighters converted to carriers, diplomatic yachts, you name it. Add unique titles, officers and squadrons of specific sub factions, and this could be quite a flexible setup for all sorts of fun stuff. I don't really feel Hutts, Dark Sun or quite a bit of the other likely suspects would be able to make a proper faction anyway, so I think most of them would be more suited to just be a theme to this kind of faction.