Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rune Taq

Cannon Factions that could work in Armada

Recommended Posts

So I just finished Thrawn Treason and I rather enjoyed it.  It got me thinking about other factions for Armada.  It would be awesome to see the Chiss Defence Fleet and Grysk as factions in Armada.  Thrawn Treason already provides 3 or so Grysk ships.  Only one Chiss ship though.  

I assume it's a long shot that FFG would do these factions and if they did it wouldn't be for a while.  Sequel factions would probably come first.  If we see more of these factions on screen I think if could become a possibility.  Maybe they will use the situation they put Thrawn and Ezra in to have them team up against the Grysk in the unknown region before the rebels team finds Ezra.

 

What factions could you see as a viable option for Armada?  Basically what factions have a navy or comparable fleet that could work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wawa666 said:

and nothing else, I am afraid

I would consider 3 ships and some fighers enough to start an Armada faction. That's enough for a starter set and a follow up wave. Resistance and First Order have juuuuuuuuust enough to fill out the start of a fleet. I think the Grysk were depicted in a comic, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Truthiness said:

I would consider 3 ships and some fighers enough to start an Armada faction. That's enough for a starter set and a follow up wave. Resistance and First Order have juuuuuuuuust enough to fill out the start of a fleet. I think the Grysk were depicted in a comic, right?

I would love to see Resistance & First Order factions, but what have they really got?

I mean, FO has the extra-large (Resurgent-class?) Star Destroyer, the Dreadnaught, and... whatever they call Snoke’s ship, which (given its dimensions) would probably not fit standard Armada geometry, and require something like two large bases flown sideways. That’s three large to huge ships, without much smaller support. I suppose they could bring Raiders or Arquitens forward... yeah, maybe they have enough. But lists would be pretty limited.

I guess the Resistance has the MC-90, whatever the Ninka is, that other support frigate that flew with them in TLJ, and Corvettes. So they probably have enough.

Squadrons are easy, they could just pull from the XWM catalogue. 

Guess I just had to talk this out! Seems possible. I do worry about the lack of options for First Order capital ships though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I mean, FO has the extra-large (Resurgent-class?) Star Destroyer, the Dreadnaught, and... whatever they call Snoke’s ship, which (given its dimensions) would probably not fit standard Armada geometry, and require something like two large bases flown sideways. That’s three large to huge ships, without much smaller support. I suppose they could bring Raiders or Arquitens forward... yeah, maybe they have enough. But lists would be pretty limited.

Comics are good enough of a source for me, which is what expands the First Order into a viable faction:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Maxima-A_class_heavy_cruiser (Mel's as a fantastic mock of up of this ship: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JUMKF6WLH/armada-maxima-a-heavy-cruiser?optionId=165067910&li=shops)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/First_Order_Light_Cruiser

I wouldn't expect the model for the Resurgent to be really that much bigger than an ISD. Add like 10% length and call it done.  I don't really care about the art books that give them ridiculous length. On screen they look to be about the same size as the Sith Fleet ISDs (again, I don't really care that the art book made these randomly bigger for...reasons?). We have a sliding scale anyway. So that said, in my mind we have a large in the Resurgent, a medium in the Maxima (which Mel's Miniatures has done an excellent model for) and a small in the light cruiser. If we really wanna get froggy, you can add the Xyston Star Destroyer from the Final Order. That's enough to flesh out a pretty good faction on its own before getting into repeats.

The Resistance has enough from just TLJ alone. The MC85 (again, sliding scale, screw the random numbers in an art book), the Ninka, and the new-style Nebs is enough to make them unique before repeats. I'm sure there are others from the comics as well.

Edited by Truthiness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Grysk and the Chiss will hopefully both have a few more ships available after the next Thrawn novel comes out in September. The Grysk also have a history of getting other groups to do their dirty work, so maybe they could have access to other faction ships with some penalty. Given that the clone wars era stuff is on the horizon though, I wouldn't expect any rush to bring in more factions for a while. Plenty of time for more media to come out and add in more ships and interesting characters for other factions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BenFF said:

The Grysk and the Chiss will hopefully both have a few more ships available after the next Thrawn novel comes out in September. The Grysk also have a history of getting other groups to do their dirty work, so maybe they could have access to other faction ships with some penalty. Given that the clone wars era stuff is on the horizon though, I wouldn't expect any rush to bring in more factions for a while. Plenty of time for more media to come out and add in more ships and interesting characters for other factions.

 

Yes. I am talking relatively far future.  And I'm talking what factions are in the galaxy that could work. Not that we have ships depicted for those factions but cannoniclly those factions have fleets and if more ships from those fleets are depicted they would be able to make Amanda factions.  More is needed for Chiss and Grysk. I don't think those ships will ever make it to armada. But I would love it if they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

Yes. I am talking relatively far future.  And I'm talking what factions are in the galaxy that could work. Not that we have ships depicted for those factions but cannoniclly those factions have fleets and if more ships from those fleets are depicted they would be able to make Amanda factions.  More is needed for Chiss and Grysk. I don't think those ships will ever make it to armada. But I would love it if they did.

The thing about introducing ships from books and things is (it would seem to me) this: You can introduce a ship or two from some individual piece of media, but you can’t really introduce an entire faction unless and until that faction has widespread recognition across the fan base. 
 

In the case of say, X-Wing, they mined Shadows of the Empire for the Outrider and the StarViper, but they didn’t go making an entire faction out of Black Sun. I don’t know (and really don’t care) what a Grysk is. I’m (probably) never gonna read another Star Wars book. I imagine a good deal of the fan base is in this same boat. If they end up putting these “Grysk” in a few more books and a TV series, *maybe* you’ll see them start to appear in games like this. Until then, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

The thing about introducing ships from books and things is (it would seem to me) this: You can introduce a ship or two from some individual piece of media, but you can’t really introduce an entire faction unless and until that faction has widespread recognition across the fan base. 
 

In the case of say, X-Wing, they mined Shadows of the Empire for the Outrider and the StarViper, but they didn’t go making an entire faction out of Black Sun. I don’t know (and really don’t care) what a Grysk is. I’m (probably) never gonna read another Star Wars book. I imagine a good deal of the fan base is in this same boat. If they end up putting these “Grysk” in a few more books and a TV series, *maybe* you’ll see them start to appear in games like this. Until then, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I would agree with your first statement for sure.  I'm still a bit surprised the Starhawk and Onager made it from such obscurity into the game.  Chiss would be a fine faction I think.  I don't recall the Grysk being robust enough of a civilization to play ball with the other factions.  The Empire took out an entire invasion force with rather minimal expenditure.

 

Shame about your stance on the books.  Many of the new ones are very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we look at Armada quite a few waves/ships came directly from Rebels.  I’d say our best bet for new ships will be other shows live action or animated.   Resistance was fun enough, but other than the Colossus didn’t really bring in anything new Aramada scale.  
 

So, I’m hoping whatever the next animation project is will feature more capital ships.  
 

There are also the rumors that they are casting live action Ezra and Thrawn.  If so, it would be a great opportunity to have the Chiss visualized.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These Grysk sound like the Yuuzhan Vong minus the biotech, if Thrawn gets a Disney+ series as the rumors suggest we might see this warrior race. Not sure if it will be kid friendly since they sound very brutal, their warriors rip out their teeth to make room for weapons and tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Truthiness said:

Comics are good enough of a source for me, which is what expands the First Order into a viable faction:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Maxima-A_class_heavy_cruiser (Mel's as a fantastic mock of up of this ship: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JUMKF6WLH/armada-maxima-a-heavy-cruiser?optionId=165067910&li=shops)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/First_Order_Light_Cruiser

I wouldn't expect the model for the Resurgent to be really that much bigger than an ISD. Add like 10% length and call it done.  I don't really care about the art books that give them ridiculous length. On screen they look to be about the same size as the Sith Fleet ISDs (again, I don't really care that the art book made these randomly bigger for...reasons?). We have a sliding scale anyway. So that said, in my mind we have a large in the Resurgent, a medium in the Maxima (which Mel's Miniatures has done an excellent model for) and a small in the light cruiser. If we really wanna get froggy, you can add the Xyston Star Destroyer from the Final Order. That's enough to flesh out a pretty good faction on its own before getting into repeats.

The Resistance has enough from just TLJ alone. The MC85 (again, sliding scale, screw the random numbers in an art book), the Ninka, and the new-style Nebs is enough to make them unique before repeats. I'm sure there are others from the comics as well.

Fun fact: The First Order light Cruiser actually appears in TFA, being docked to the Finalizer near the bow. So it technically isn't from a comic, although the Poe Dameron series flashed it out beyond that glimpse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

These Grysk sound like the Yuuzhan Vong minus the biotech, if Thrawn gets a Disney+ series as the rumors suggest we might see this warrior race. Not sure if it will be kid friendly since they sound very brutal, their warriors rip out their teeth to make room for weapons and tools.

Yeah the Grysk are kinda the replacement in new cannon.  No bio tech and not from a satallite galaxy or whatever.  Just from the unknown regions.  They have an ability to control other species somehow but from the three thrawn novels it doesn't really explain what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alzer said:

I would agree with your first statement for sure.  I'm still a bit surprised the Starhawk and Onager made it from such obscurity into the game.  Chiss would be a fine faction I think.  I don't recall the Grysk being robust enough of a civilization to play ball with the other factions.  The Empire took out an entire invasion force with rather minimal expenditure.

 

Shame about your stance on the books.  Many of the new ones are very good.

There were no major invasion forces of Grysk in the novels so far from the ones I have read.  There was a "task force" I guess you could say that infiltrated the empire.  It consisted of roughly 2-3 cargo/support ships and 2-3 light combat ships and then two heavy combat ships at the end of Thrawn Treason.  And the Chiss ship Steadfast destroyed/crippled those two singlehandedly with the assistance from a squad of Tie Defenders.  I wouldn't call that an invasive n force and the biggest reason they were dealt with so we'll was because, well, Thawn... And the Chiss Admiral Arilani was relatively good at her job too. Not thrawn level briliant but very smart and an excellent tactician.

I think the Grysk and Chiss would be awesome additions to armada but:

A. We don't have images of ships/we only have a few ship.

B. It's very obscure material compared to the movies and shows.

Very unlikely we will ever get these factions.  And if we did it won't be for many many years.

Does anyone know of any other factions that have fleets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hutts had warships of native design guarding their most important planets in Legends and presumably in Canon as well. In the Clone Wars movie the implication was that the Hutts could block out the CIS or Republic if they wanted to from using their trade routes which suggests more than just economic strength to me.

Other than that the Hapes Consortium is Canon in name but none of the old information has been brought forward like the Battle Dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LennoxPoodle said:

Fun fact: The First Order light Cruiser actually appears in TFA, being docked to the Finalizer near the bow. So it technically isn't from a comic, although the Poe Dameron series flashed it out beyond that glimpse.

This is not well known, but true! You can see it docked in this CGI render (at the very tip, along what looks like a catapult of sorts -- yes, the Finalizer is huge):

8405fd1dfdaf471d5adce8b328a7dd32.jpg

 

As for possible factions? Well, it would depend on return on investment, of course, but if there was a big enough fan base (say, Warhammer 40K-size), FFG could be quite liberal in what it offers.

  1. First Order (I think this will happen eventually)
  2. Resistance (This one, too)
  3. Mining Guild (Won't happen)
  4. Scum & villainy (Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, etc. -- this faction would probably be almost exclusively Small base. Won't happen.)
  5. New Republic (Might happen, depending on what we learn about it in future stories?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

As for possible factions? Well, it would depend on return on investment, of course, but if there was a big enough fan base (say, Warhammer 40K-size), FFG could be quite liberal in what it offers.

  1. First Order (I think this will happen eventually)
  2. Resistance (This one, too)
  3. Mining Guild (Won't happen)
  4. Scum & villainy (Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, etc. -- this faction would probably be almost exclusively Small base. Won't happen.)
  5. New Republic (Might happen, depending on what we learn about it in future stories?)

The big one everyone forgets is the Corporate Sector Authority which has a sizable military that is partly Imperial surplus and in-house designs. They are Canon again and were discreet financial backers of the First Order. Cantonica (Canto Bight) was a part of the Corporate Sector although I don't remember if that was mentioned in TLJ.

Edited by Piratical Moustache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

This is not well known, but true! You can see it docked in this CGI render (at the very tip, along what looks like a catapult of sorts -- yes, the Finalizer is huge):

8405fd1dfdaf471d5adce8b328a7dd32.jpg

 

As for possible factions? Well, it would depend on return on investment, of course, but if there was a big enough fan base (say, Warhammer 40K-size), FFG could be quite liberal in what it offers.

  1. First Order (I think this will happen eventually)
  2. Resistance (This one, too)
  3. Mining Guild (Won't happen)
  4. Scum & villainy (Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, etc. -- this faction would probably be almost exclusively Small base. Won't happen.)
  5. New Republic (Might happen, depending on what we learn about it in future stories?)

I would put money on having merged factions for sequel era. 

First/final order

resistance/new republic

one faction, two subfactions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

The big one everyone forgets is the Corporate Sector Authority which has a sizable military that is partly Imperial surplus and in-house designs. They are Canon again and were discreet financial backers of the First Order. Cantonica (Canto Bight) was a part of the Corporate Sector although I don't remember if that was mentioned in TLJ.

You're right. I did forget!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I still think we have a lot of ships that are still available to the current factions. Ships that could be added to improve the diversity within the meta left unexplored. When we talk about the New Republic, that is just a fancy way of say New Rebels, as that'ss where they came from, same with the New Order as it formed from the remnants of the Galactic Empire. When i think future, we already hit the nail on the head with the Clone wars, the only thing else would be to go way back and do Sith/Old Republic (which seems like a set back in technology, so maybe heavier hulls with higher health with weaker style weapons or less upgrades to reflect the age).

But in pure terms of factions, I would still like them to table some of the ships still missing Dreadnoughts, lancers, carrack, star galleon and what not. Evolve the current meta. Shake it up with Clone Wars and then see where we lay. There is still so much that can come out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

This is not well known, but true! You can see it docked in this CGI render (at the very tip, along what looks like a catapult of sorts -- yes, the Finalizer is huge):

8405fd1dfdaf471d5adce8b328a7dd32.jpg

Ah, so that explains why there's an open area at the front of the Resurgents, they can carry their own escorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ianediger said:

Ah, so that explains why there's an open area at the front of the Resurgents, they can carry their own escorts.

Also they do training in there, simulating entire battlefields!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hutts/Scum could be done conceivably. Sticking to canon, they would likely be an all small ship faction (I think the biggest ship they use is between 500 and 600 meters), but lots of opportunity for cool/unique squadrons and ships. I'm not sure how popular it would be however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...