Sign in to follow this  
Mimi61

Which Investigator will you have tackle ”The Blob”?

Posted (edited)

I haven’t had the opportunity to play The Blob yet and as it gets ready to release, I’m wondering what investigators/deck builds some of you are planning on trying or think may be effective.  
I was thinking Patrice, since she is so skill oriented, may be a good choice to tackle Subject 8L-08. Thoughts? 

Edited by Mimi61

If looking a Patrice, I'll recommend the Desperate Violinist as a really good decklist.  I believe this is the most versatile/capable level 0 investigator.  Personally, I'd take 2x Charismas, 2x Jessica Hydes, & Miss Doyle to get her up to 9XP.  That said, when I played her through Carcosa, one of the most useful cards was Cornered (2XP each).  The allies give you limitless Stamina/Sanity.  Cornered gives you +2 to every test you perform (probably) with Patrice.

Posted (edited)

I’m still trying to decide if I want to do it as a stand-alone or a side scenario. If I do the latter, it depends where we fit it in. I would be running Daisy or whoever I pick next. If not Daisy, likely my own fan investigator (Astrid Lee or Sadie Goulding).

If we don’t get to it for quite some time though, it will be Nathaniel Cho. I can only imagine what it would sound like to punch that blob and how insane you would need to be to do it.

My gut says that asset heavy decks are a bad idea in a scenario where things are being eaten, but it sounds like nothing is a given. If I were to build based around blind “strategy” I would probably take good ol’ Sef.

Edited by Soakman

EVERYTHING can be eaten.  We had 1 global "If X is eaten by the Blob, we will not do it.  Draw again."

I played a 29XP Ursula while my cousin played a 29XP Leo.  We were joined by Patrice & (I think) Mateo.  It went well until the blob ate something of my cousin's.  I died as a delayed result, close to the end.  The rest of the team clung on until it was defeated.

Posted (edited)

I'll definitely be taking Patrice if I play in an organised event (you know, when the pandemic passes), probably going 9 exp and taking 2x Cornered, 3x Mind's Eye, 1x Relic Hunter. Could go 19 exp and take 2x Alter Fate, 2x Brute Force, 2x Sharp Vision, but I don't know if that's worth the extra weakness.

I'll certainly be taking a backup investigator, though - maybe Joe Diamond, going 19 exp, taking 2x Physical Training (2), 2x Hyperawareness (2), 2x Well Prepared, 2x .32 Colt (2), 1x Pathfinder, 2x Magnifying Glass (1).

Shame about Standalone mode not enabling the use of "identified"/"translated" cards, since that makes it much harder to make a Carolyn Fern deck (no Ancient Stone).

Edited by Allonym

15 hours ago, Allonym said:

I'll definitely be taking Patrice if I play in an organised event (you know, when the pandemic passes), probably going 9 exp and taking 2x Cornered, 3x Mind's Eye, 1x Relic Hunter. Could go 19 exp and take 2x Alter Fate, 2x Brute Force, 2x Sharp Vision, but I don't know if that's worth the extra weakness.

I'll certainly be taking a backup investigator, though - maybe Joe Diamond, going 19 exp, taking 2x Physical Training (2), 2x Hyperawareness (2), 2x Well Prepared, 2x .32 Colt (2), 1x Pathfinder, 2x Magnifying Glass (1).

Shame about Standalone mode not enabling the use of "identified"/"translated" cards, since that makes it much harder to make a Carolyn Fern deck (no Ancient Stone).

Is there no way to organize an event and somehow play remotely? A Zoom Blob event? 

2 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Is there no way to organize an event and somehow play remotely? A Zoom Blob event? 

I have no idea how to go about that, it's not really my area of expertise! I think it's possible since I've heard of some Blob online events, but the logistics of getting lots of groups working all together all at once might be tough.

There's also something cool and community-building about having a real-life meetup with an announcer and so forth, but that's 2020 I suppose!

1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

I participated in one a couple months ago.  We had 155 investigators around the world, with a website and live YouTube feed with mood music and status updates.  There were a few logistical issues but overall it went well and was very fun.  I see there was some chatter in the Discord recently about another one.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried Calvin against the Blob? I haven’t tried Calvin against anything, but does his crazy investigator card have some benefits to this scenario? 

Edited by Mimi61

On 6/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, Soakman said:

My gut says that asset heavy decks are a bad idea in a scenario where things are being eaten, but it sounds like nothing is a given. If I were to build based around blind “strategy” I would probably take good ol’ Sef.

I have the same feeling about item heavy decks. Sefina was another investigator I thought of, or even Diana, since it could be  that having cards under an investigator is a safeguard for those cards.