Sign in to follow this  
blademaster81

Where is all the stock?

Hi all, a friend of mine recently got into this "dead game" (although seriously where is FFG's support for our beloved Armada?  Is 2 yearly releases all we're ever getting anymore?) and was looking to flesh out his collection.  Where is all the stock?  Can't find any of the first squadrons packs anywhere, same for Arquitens and some of the other big ships.  I'll admit it's been awhile since I played (like 6 months) and I haven't followed the news much.  Can anyone tell me (I'm in USA btw) if there has been a move away from Armada by FFG or if there are general supply issues which are COVID- or otherwise-related?  Thanks!

FFG is continuing to support the game, both with restocks and additional content, like Clone Wars set to come out later this year. Unfortunately, many of the restocks just seem to sell out quickly. I don’t know if that’s because FFG isn’t printing enough, there’s an unanticipated jump in demand, or scalpers are buying up stocks as soon as they become available. It’s probably a bit of all three combined, honestly. Keep checking online. Also, call or visit your local game stores. Sometimes they have items that are sold out online. 

2 yearly releases is about all we've ever gotten.  Look not at X-Wing and Legion and their excess of expansions with an envious eye.  There are releases in the pipe and I'm sure restocks down the line for Armada.  Remember that just before the pandemic FFG also had a large-scale layoff, which I'm sure has negatively impacted production and logistics.

28 minutes ago, bkcammack said:

FFG is continuing to support the game, both with restocks and additional content, like Clone Wars set to come out later this year. Unfortunately, many of the restocks just seem to sell out quickly. I don’t know if that’s because FFG isn’t printing enough, there’s an unanticipated jump in demand, or scalpers are buying up stocks as soon as they become available. It’s probably a bit of all three combined, honestly. Keep checking online. Also, call or visit your local game stores. Sometimes they have items that are sold out online. 

This

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bkcammack said:

scalpers are buying up stocks as soon as they become available.

It's this. 

Empire Games of Anderson South Carolina is an amazon seller they bought up 30+ of the Arquittens and sold every single one at $39.99 

vy2laLJ.jpg

Which is usually a $19.95 expansion. 

qy6sXcz.png

It's one thing if some lucky gamer finds one while they're out of print and turns it around at double MSRP, but when a"FLGS" turns around and scalps the reprints, they're ******* scum. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

It's one thing if some lucky gamer finds one while they're out of print and turns it around at double MSRP, but when a"FLGS" turns around and scalps the reprints, they're ******* scum. 

Its no different if a "lucky gamer" does it. Be the community you want to be. 

5 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

The only time I’m okay with high prices is when an eBay auction naturally goes that high.  In that case the price is driven by the buyers, not the seller. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

>Implying

10 hours ago, bkcammack said:

The only time I’m okay with high prices is when an eBay auction naturally goes that high.  In that case the price is driven by the buyers, not the seller. 

I see this thing all the time, I help admin a B/S/T group on FB, and I really don't care as long as it's an individual thing. They aren't buying up stock as it's released specifically to jack up market value, just some mook who found a valuable thing and decided to make some money. Is it ideal? No. but I'm a realist, it's not changing. 

It happens less with Armada because we don't have event exclusive stuff, just stuff that goes out of stock too often, but X-wing and Legion it's very common for people to turn around merchandise as high as 5x msrp. This last few weeks the exclusive N1 fighter (a $20 figure) has been selling at rates at or above $120 USD. Exclusive Obiwan for legion (a $15 mini) sells for upwards of $300USD. When things go out of print across the internet, $150 to $300+ for the CW coreset of Legion. I've seen alpha fighter sell at $75-$150 for 1.0 boxes. 

I get pissed when a store, who has a direct line to the distributor, sees that the reprints are coming up, buys the absolute cap of what they can, then turns them around for double MSRP. If every store behaved like that, Miniature Market, Coolstuff, everyone? Armada would die.

I left a review on Empire Games SC's FB page and confronted them about it, they straight up tried to defend it as the "market value".  

Edited by Darth Sanguis

23 hours ago, bkcammack said:

The price is driven by buyers in all of those cases.  If people weren’t willing to spend $40 for an arquitens, stores wouldn’t be able to price them so high. Demand exceeds current supply, so prices go up.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:39 AM, scipio83 said:

The price is driven by buyers in all of those cases.  If people weren’t willing to spend $40 for an arquitens, stores wouldn’t be able to price them so high. Demand exceeds current supply, so prices go up.

Mmm, but they're only 'willing' (I use the word advisedly) because there's a shortage of a stock. 

I can't think of a better way to **** up your business than to fail to supply sufficient stock for demand.

10 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Mmm, but they're only 'willing' (I use the word advisedly) because there's a shortage of a stock. 

I can't think of a better way to **** up your business than to fail to supply sufficient stock for demand.

Price is highly connected to scarcity.  The reason the price is higher is because there are fewer goods available.  Everyone who buys those marked-up ships values the ship more than the money they spend. 

You make it sound like they’re being coerced or something - it’s a completely voluntary transaction.  If they thought it was a rip-off, they could just NOT buy them.

18 minutes ago, scipio83 said:

Price is highly connected to scarcity.  The reason the price is higher is because there are fewer goods available.  Everyone who buys those marked-up ships values the ship more than the money they spend. 

You make it sound like they’re being coerced or something - it’s a completely voluntary transaction.  If they thought it was a rip-off, they could just NOT buy them.

I understand the economics of it, and the psychology.  It's not a completely voluntary transaction though, is it?  You HAVE to have the ship models to play the fleets, and if you want to go to a tournament (whenever that happens again) you have to have all the right cards too. 

There are a couple of psychological mechanisms at play here which compel higher price purchasing.  The first is 'completionism' where you want 'the set', or you need a particular card in order to run the fleet you have in mind, and that's a very strong compulsion which FFG exploits by only selling ship upgrade cards with ships.  The second is competition with other players who talk about fleet combinations which you don't have, and the desire to compete by 'having' the right ships, or a larger fleet than someone else, is very strong too.

I accept that people are free to spend as much money as they choose, but I think that there is a behavioural element which is being overlooked.

2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

I understand the economics of it, and the psychology.  It's not a completely voluntary transaction though, is it?  You HAVE to have the ship models to play the fleets, and if you want to go to a tournament (whenever that happens again) you have to have all the right cards too. 

There are a couple of psychological mechanisms at play here which compel higher price purchasing.  The first is 'completionism' where you want 'the set', or you need a particular card in order to run the fleet you have in mind, and that's a very strong compulsion which FFG exploits by only selling ship upgrade cards with ships.  The second is competition with other players who talk about fleet combinations which you don't have, and the desire to compete by 'having' the right ships, or a larger fleet than someone else, is very strong too.

I accept that people are free to spend as much money as they choose, but I think that there is a behavioural element which is being overlooked.

It is voluntary though. Unless you want to excuse yourself behind an addiction in which case your problem isn't the speculation.

The thing is that you want something and have the money to pay it for. Do you buy it? Then you think the price is ok. Whatever factors you have in mind (the ship is cool, it's the only I don't have yet, I want to make that list, I cannot wait until reprint, I want to keep playing competitively) you put them all together against the price and if it's fine for you you pay it. But in any way you HAVE to buy the ship or even HAVE to play the game.

4 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

It is voluntary though. Unless you want to excuse yourself behind an addiction in which case your problem isn't the speculation.

The thing is that you want something and have the money to pay it for. Do you buy it? Then you think the price is ok. Whatever factors you have in mind (the ship is cool, it's the only I don't have yet, I want to make that list, I cannot wait until reprint, I want to keep playing competitively) you put them all together against the price and if it's fine for you you pay it. But in any way you HAVE to buy the ship or even HAVE to play the game.

You're assuming that the individual is a rational actor (which is one of the core tenets of economics).  It's completely wrong.  People aren't rational actors.

57 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

You're assuming that the individual is a rational actor (which is one of the core tenets of economics).  It's completely wrong.  People aren't rational actors.

That has nothing to do with the lack of freedom. To spend 100$ on a card isn't rational, but it's still a free choice.

2 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

If am capable of saying “no, this product costs more than I am willing to spend,” then other people are, too.  And if they are mentally/emotionally impaired to the point that they cannot exercise any self-restraint regarding their plastic spaceship hobby, the problem lies with their deep psychological impairment, rather than people selling things at a higher price.  

But I think it would he safe to say that an  Armada habit is less compulsive than a meth habit.  

On 6/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, Darth Sanguis said:

It's this. 

Empire Games of Anderson South Carolina is an amazon seller they bought up 30+ of the Arquittens and sold every single one at $39.99 

vy2laLJ.jpg

Which is usually a $19.95 expansion. 

qy6sXcz.png

Agree, scalpers are everywhere! They buy say ten kittens, sell for stupid money, kittens come back in stock and they buy 10 more.. yet the real problem is people in the community who then pay those prices, if no one paid stupid money they wouldn't buy them all up.. thus normal stock prices would resume. 

On 6/25/2020 at 3:40 AM, bkcammack said:

agree

1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

The best way to stop scalpers would be if FFG made more stock!

There is a worldwide shortage of pretty much every Armada product. This is a sign of it being a good game, but also that FFG is bad at producing the right amount of each expansion.

Absolutely.  It beats the **** out of me why they don't have a print-on-demand option for cards.  I should be able to log on to their website and choose a bunch of upgrade cards, pay £1 each and have them shipped to my door.  Two Quad Battery Turrets, 1 Disposable Capacitors, 2 Leading Shots, that's £5 plus delivery, thank you here's my money.

The notion that I am going to go and spend £75 on spaceships I won't ever use just to get a couple of cards is so totally cock-eyed I can't conceive of it as a business model. Especially - ESPECIALLY - when they can't even put sufficient stock on the shelves to get new players in to the game.

19 hours ago, Gilarius said:

The best way to stop scalpers would be if FFG made more stock!

There is a worldwide shortage of pretty much every Armada product. This is a sign of it being a good game, but also that FFG is bad at producing the right amount of each expansion.

I agree. The Armada stock shortage is unfortunate and disappointing. It's never a good thing when customers want to buy a company's products but they can't because of stock shortages. Every customer who can't buy an Armada expansion is a lost sale for FFG. It's inconceivable why FFG would allow that to happen.

The only explanation I can think of is that the Chinese factories that print all of FFG's products have limited capacity and they're prioritizing Legion and X-Wing expansions over Armada. Another factor could be the few production lines that are allocated for printing Armada products have probably been used for Clone Wars Armada, which is why there haven't been restocks of existing Armada expansions.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:39 PM, scipio83 said:

And here we are back at the root of issue... Ffg's inability to properly forecast demands

5 minutes ago, Tirion said:

And here we are back at the root of issue... Ffg's inability to properly forecast demands

I can agree with that but does it go beyond that issue? Is it Asmodee giving FFG a budget limit to what they can do? We don’t have all the facts in any case when there is a parent company.