Sign in to follow this  
Muelmuel

It's official, one squadron has five pilots

On 6/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, Irate Pooka said:

Sure. But is that keyword only applicable to a very specific ace, or to generic squadrons as well? Maybe that's what I'm not following?

Well, yes that was the initial intention considering that the keyword was to simulate mixed squadrons,of which only Alphabet, Titan and vanguard are composed of in known canon, making them rather unique. It does pose other questions, like unique squadrons that are not a character ace being just as squishy as generics

On 6/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, Rmcarrier1 said:

With General Syndulla, a Starhawk, and the prominent line about fighting for the New Republic (and the fact that this basically looks like Alphabet Squadron: The Game), this looks like it could be set post-ROTJ. Right on. As a kid who grew up with the original trilogy, all I ever wanted was stories that took place after Episode VI. Give us more. The Mandalorian. The Sequel Trilogy. And now potentially this. I approve. Dare I hope for a Rebels sequel series set between VI and VII?

I recommend you the old Thrawn and X-Wing novels. Will be less of a disappointment than anything they came up lately.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:38 AM, Admiral Theia said:

Something like that, maybe one for squadron, and another for anti-ship. Say a 6 hull squadron, lose one die of anti-squardron per missing hp, lose one die of AS for every 2 missing HP

Keep it simple: When gathering the dice pool for a squadron attack the number of dice cannot be greater than the remaining hull value. An exception will need to be made for TIE Interceptors.
This way effects like Flight Controllers will still add dice.

So far, the new Thrawn books are just as well written as the old. They do have a different feel, mostly because it is more of a prequel showing Thrawn in the politics of the Imperial Navy. Most of the new books are the standard "Thrawn military tactics", with about 10-15% showing how he politically navigated the empire.

4 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

So far, the new Thrawn books are just as well written as the old. They do have a different feel, mostly because it is more of a prequel showing Thrawn in the politics of the Imperial Navy. Most of the new books are the standard "Thrawn military tactics", with about 10-15% showing how he politically navigated the empire.

I agree with this statement that they were just as well written, but for me personally, there was too much filler in the first two books.  Half of Thrawn was about Arihnda Pryce, who I didn't particularly care about (even after watching Rebels), and a significant portion of Thrawn: Alliances was about Padme.  Any page with Thrawn on it though was pure gold, especially if you listened to it on audiobook.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, Rmcarrier1 said:

With General Syndulla, a Starhawk, and the prominent line about fighting for the New Republic (and the fact that this basically looks like Alphabet Squadron: The Game), this looks like it could be set post-ROTJ. Right on. As a kid who grew up with the original trilogy, all I ever wanted was stories that took place after Episode VI. Give us more. The Mandalorian. The Sequel Trilogy. And now potentially this. I approve. Dare I hope for a Rebels sequel series set between VI and VII?

In the campaign you play as Vanguard squadron for the Rebels, which is featured in Alphabet Squadron. So will feature the Loadstar, Venator with Syndulla which was her base of command as a General. So will be post ROTJ for sure.

I'm extremely wary of SW Squadrons because I don't trust EA. I know they said there won't be micro-transactions in SW Squadrons and the hull and cockpit cosmetic customizations will be unlocked through gameplay, not loot boxes, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to try to milk gamers out of more money.

Based on there only seems to be 4 ships each for the Rebels and Empire, I'm betting that EA will monetize Squadrons by selling new ships after the game is released. Consider how many X-Wing expansions there are -- I think there are more than 100 now. Even if they limited them to only Rebels/New Republic and Empire factions, they could sell 20+ ships per faction.

Also, SW Squadrons seems much smaller in scale than SW BF2, which covered the Clone Wars, GCW, and Sequel eras. Squadrons is limited to the Post-Battle of Endor era. EA could release expansions for the other eras of Star Wars. Suddenly the $40 price for SW Squadrons doesn't look like such a bargain.

I'm waiting and seeing about SW Squadrons. I waited on Jedi Fallen Order before buying it on sale about a month ago, just to be certain that EA didn't try any shenanigans after the game was released. I'm going to do the same for Squadrons. If EA doesn't charge extra for additional ships, then I might buy it.

12 hours ago, Revan Reborn said:

Based on there only seems to be 4 ships each for the Rebels and Empire, I'm betting that EA will monetize Squadrons by selling new ships after the game is released.

If it sells well, perhaps they'll launch expansions. Although I suspect they'd make extra ships free, but charge for cosmetics and upgrades. That said, with 4 ships per faction I'm more concerned with balance; I suspect the ships will play almost identically to their other-faction equivalent. So a TIE Fighter being the same as an X-Wing but with a different model.

My other big concern is that this is a multiplayer demo rather than a full game (and definitely not a single-player game like the older ones). Even X-Wing v TIE Fighter had 30 single-player missions (eventually), and TIE Fighter and X-Wing both had over 100 after all the expansions. It's looking like Squadrons will have 2 multiplayer missions, and I suspect at most a dozen single-player ones split between the factions.

14 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

If it sells well, perhaps they'll launch expansions. Although I suspect they'd make extra ships free, but charge for cosmetics and upgrades. That said, with 4 ships per faction I'm more concerned with balance; I suspect the ships will play almost identically to their other-faction equivalent. So a TIE Fighter being the same as an X-Wing but with a different model.

My other big concern is that this is a multiplayer demo rather than a full game (and definitely not a single-player game like the older ones). Even X-Wing v TIE Fighter had 30 single-player missions (eventually), and TIE Fighter and X-Wing both had over 100 after all the expansions. It's looking like Squadrons will have 2 multiplayer missions, and I suspect at most a dozen single-player ones split between the factions.

They’ve already said the TIEs won’t have shields. They will almost certainly be substantially different from their Rebel counterparts.

13 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

That's the opposite of what EA said: All hull and cockpit cosmetic customizations are supposedly free and are unlocked by gameplay only. No loot boxes, micro-transactions, or pay walls.

That's why I suspect that additional starfighters will cost money. And that's why EA has been conspicuously silent about there only being 4 flyable starfighters per faction and why. They haven't explained why there's only 4 starfighters per side or promised more will be released; they just matter-of-factly explain that there are 4 types of starfighters: The All-round Fighter (X-Wing & TIE Fighter), the Interceptor (A-Wing & TIE Interceptor), the Bomber (Y-Wing & TIE Bomber), and Support (U-Wing and TIE Reaper).

I also suspect that the starfighters will not be authentic to canon and instead will operate very similarly. If you look at the gameplay trailer, they show each starfighter type head-to-head with their stats, and their stats are nearly identical, which isn't good. 

interceptors.jpg

I could only find this pic of the Interceptors side-by-side comparison. This isn't so bad because the TIE interceptor and A-Wing should be similar. But the TIE Fighter and X-Wing has me concerned because at 2:04 of the gameplay trailer, it shows their stats are very similar. The TIE Fighter seems to be slightly faster whereas the X-Wing seems slightly tougher, but the TIE should be much faster and more maneuverable than the X-Wing, and the X-Wing should be significantly stronger on defense because it has shields.

But it seems like they're watering down the starfighters to achieve balance instead letting them be authentic, and requiring the player to fly them appropriately to take advantage of their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses.

SW Squadrons definitely is not a full game. The singleplayer tease is supposedly less than 4 hours long and weirdly switches back and forth between the Rebels and Empire, so they're not even bothering to create a story-driven campaign for each faction.

Furthermore, SW Squadrons is being developed by Motive Montreal, which has never developed a game on their own before; they've only helped contribute to games like Anthem and SW Battlefront 2. Motive Montreal was formed by the scavenged remains of BioWare Montreal after the total failure of Mass Effect Andromeda, which isn't an impressive pedigree.

That fact that EA had a third-rate game studio develop SW Squadrons proves that it isn't a full game and they're not taking it seriously. It's a quick cash-grab, nothing more. Motive Montreal is presumably just iterating on BF2's space combat gameplay, reusing the same ship and starfighter assets, shifting the camera to 1st-person POV, adding a ton of cosmetic crap, and slapping together a short campaign. Squadrons probably costs a fraction of the time and budget that BF2 had, and EA is selling it for "only" $40 and pretending like they're doing gamers a favour.

As much as I want to play a space combat flight sim of Star Wars, I DO NOT plan on buying SW Squadrons because I don't trust EA at all. I think EA is trying to lure in Star Wars fans with this $40 tease and then charge another $40 for a second batch of 8 ships, and they'll do that several times and milk naive gamers of their money.

8 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

They’ve already said the TIEs won’t have shields. They will almost certainly be substantially different from their Rebel counterparts.

Sure some ships will have shields and some won't, but will that actually make a substantial difference? Looking at the images (including the one linked above), the stats comparisons show the Imperial squadrons to be only slightly less "tough" than the Rebel ones. Which makes sense from a balance perspective; balancing the fact that Rebel squadrons have shields (which should be able to regenerate and balance) is going to be really difficult.

If the game has a simple hull slider/bar that regenerates out of combat, having shields won't really make any difference; in contrast to the X-Wing games, where a ship with shields could take a whole bunch of damage and almost instantly get back to full by diverting power; but once hull damage started to go through, you'd get damage to individual ship components. Kind of like in Armada.