Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

EA’s Star Wars Squadrons

Posted (edited)

The video is really interesting the designer talks about balance and on the points they make is that the imperial ships are more focused as they dont have as many options to consider.  So their simplicity becomes a strength.

Edited by reqent
Word choice

2 hours ago, xanderf said:

The interview that goes along with the new trailer is PERFECT...

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/6/18/21295900/star-wars-squadrons-everything-you-need-to-know

They even name-drop FFG's X-Wing Miniatures (us!) as an inspiration for the game!  But the power management, double-shields, double-weapons, etc - it sounds PURE LucasArts X-Wing.

MUCH HYPE!

Definitely great trailer and interview. The one thing I'm wishing for, now, is an old-school space-Sim type single player mission structure. Give me a target or a flight plan, make it super tricky to get right, and let me figure out a way to get that to work. Doesn't need to be cinematic boom kapow action all the time. Let me feel the mission tactics. 

I'm really really not excited about the multi-player thus far. Sounds like the sort of rinse-and-repeat gameplay (eg.  Battlefield, counter strike) which I've grown bored of over a decade ago. But the flight system seems to be headed in the right direction, and if we can get a good sp campaign, I'm good. 

32 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

xkb5pww7or551.png

Hera

fs0kt6cbur551.png

B-Wing

Where was the second image taken from? My assumption is that the B-wing and hopefully the Tie Defender would come further down the line but if that image is a legit indication of it then thats great.

39 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

Where was the second image taken from? My assumption is that the B-wing and hopefully the Tie Defender would come further down the line but if that image is a legit indication of it then thats great.

The interview said they're not actively planning any DLC or how they would approach it, of course if it's popular I'm sure we'll see DLC.

I saw a comment suggestion VR for the PC, am I right to think they'll be the normal PC version too?  Do we think they will have support for thrustmaster joysticks? If this ends up being a good solid flight sim (and not an arcade game by comparison) I think this could be a good excuse to pick one up.

9 minutes ago, infyrana said:

I saw a comment suggestion VR for the PC, am I right to think they'll be the normal PC version too?  Do we think they will have support for thrustmaster joysticks? If this ends up being a good solid flight sim (and not an arcade game by comparison) I think this could be a good excuse to pick one up.

It is said that it will support HOTAS setups for PC.

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-squadrons-will-support-full-hotas-setups/

12 minutes ago, infyrana said:

VR is optional.

Joystick seems will be supported.

OK, so, wishlist for future ships (yes, already). These follow the very broad pairings they seem to be using:

- Heavy craft: B-Wing vs TIE/Defender (since they seem to be stretching things enough to balance TIE/ln vs X-Wing)
- High-tech craft: E-Wing vs TIE/Advanced

And some multiplayer (ie. 2+ players per ship) craft:
- Large support: YT-1300 vs Lambda Shuttle
- Heavy Bomber: K-Wing vs Punisher
- Heavy Support: VCX-100 vs Decimator

And my dream ship:
- Support Fighter: HWK-290 vs anything (maybe TIE Aggressor, since the dev team is into XWTMG)

😀

I don't like so much the 5 vs 5 as the core of the game (also in Fleet Battle mode).

If there are only 5 starfighters by side, seems few when you think at an Star Wars spaceships battle. 

I would love IA wingmans and orders and more pew pew.

The starfighter classses is another thing that disappoint me. It's like a first person spaceships MOBA.

That design forces the balance and the lore. A tough TIE Fighter... Really?

I'm mildly disappointed that it isn't third person, as third person games are my jam, but still very interested.

It appears that the ships without canonical shields won't have them, but will be able to more quickly change power distribution between systems. With that, and pretty much every Imperial ship being faster, hopefully that will balance things. You can see in an Imperial cockpit image that a TIE Fighter can take three upgrades, and it has 6 concussion missiles, 4 seeker warheads, and a repair system that has four pips. The repair system at least gives some recovery for shieldless ships, and I imagine the four pips recharge over time as they are different from the simple numerical count of the missiles and warheads. Similarly, the TIE Bomber that fires the beam cannon has four pips next to it while the rockets have a 3 next them, and the multilock missiles have a 5.

It’s not Level One Laser, better Level Two Laser. We don’t do that because we don’t want to unbalance the playing field. It’s all like, “Well, you know, the laser that’s more like” — I’m using just normal shooter terms — “more like an SMG. So it’s sort of spray and pray. And it’s got a little bit shorter range. It’s got its own trade offs.” But I want the laser that hits like a truck, but takes 20 minutes to recharge. Not literally 20 minutes, but you follow me; that idea of trade offs, kind of weapons and components that are that are better or worse at different things.

This quote form the article very encouraging. One of the problems with BF2's starfighter assault was the simple upgrade system of tier 1 lasers to tier 4 lasers style. People that played longer would naturally destroy ships faster as they had tier 4 stuff, allowing them to get more points to unlock the other tier 4 stuff while the newbs had to grind to get better unlocks.

I think we can all agree that they're making the right noises with this game. The interviews certainly give the impression that the developers are fans of the source material and have played enough Star Wars games to take the best bits from them. It's a shame that there isn't third person support, but I respect their reasons for sticking with a first person only view. Likewise, I'd love it if they went larger than 5v5 in the multiplayer modes, but I can appreciate that that could lead to all manner of balancing issues and performance implications.

All in all, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one. Hopefully they will confirm details about more ships being added, but I'd be happy with flying the line-up that they've confirmed so far. Good to see the TIE Reaper getting top-billing alongside the U-wing.

3 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

I think we can all agree that they're making the right noises with this game. The interviews certainly give the impression that the developers are fans of the source material and have played enough Star Wars games to take the best bits from them. It's a shame that there isn't third person support, but I respect their reasons for sticking with a first person only view. Likewise, I'd love it if they went larger than 5v5 in the multiplayer modes, but I can appreciate that that could lead to all manner of balancing issues and performance implications.

All in all, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one. Hopefully they will confirm details about more ships being added, but I'd be happy with flying the line-up that they've confirmed so far. Good to see the TIE Reaper getting top-billing alongside the U-wing.

I for one am glad it will be 1st person only: this helps a lot with the immersion and simulation feel. Also, it doesn't give advantages for playing the more arcady 3rd person view.

There is hope they will add another class of ship ("assault?", "tank?") in the future, being of course the B-Wing (against the TIE Brute or TIE Defender).

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Odanan said:

being of course the B-Wing (against the TIE Brute or TIE Defender).

I really hope they don't add the Defender. To do so in a balanced manner for this game's format would require that they completely neuter the ship in some way since if they add it unaltered, even as it appeared in Rebels and not in the classic flight sims, it would swing the game balance way to far towards Imps. Firepower of two ships, shielded, durable, as fast as an interceptor. Imagine facing a squadron of 5 of them in head to head. Then imagine having to beat that squad in the first portion (where the entire focus is taking down the other fighters so you can progress to destroying objectives) of the fleet battles to even try and gain momentum.

Here's to them fleshing out the TIE Brute in a parallel release to the B-Wing if they do add more ships to the game.

Edited by Hiemfire

would like to see some ships from rebels / rogue one / sequel trilogy /  mandalorian getting life in this game but since they said DLC is not an option atm , we'll have to wait and see.. hope they put new maps or modes or customization in future though. 

1 hour ago, gmcc said:

would like to see some ships from rebels / rogue one / sequel trilogy /  mandalorian getting life in this game but since they said DLC is not an option atm , we'll have to wait and see.. hope they put new maps or modes or customization in future though. 

They could definitely add FO/Resistance at some point, or even make that the sequel to this game utilizing whatever crew members survive the story events in this one as members of their repective factions. It might be simpler to balance at that point as shields exist in both factions at that point.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

I really hope they don't add the Defender. To do so in a balanced manner for this game's format would require that they completely neuter the ship in some way since if they add it unaltered, even as it appeared in Rebels and not in the classic flight sims, it would swing the game balance way to far towards Imps. Firepower of two ships, shielded, durable, as fast as an interceptor. Imagine facing a squadron of 5 of them in head to head. Then imagine having to beat that squad in the first portion (where the entire focus is taking down the other fighters so you can progress to destroying objectives) of the fleet battles to even try and gain momentum.

Here's to them fleshing out the TIE Brute in a parallel release to the B-Wing if they do add more ships to the game.

I mean, based on what we saw in Rebels, would it really be nerfing the Defender to make it on par with the B-wing, and not unbalanced? 

`I also vote for the Fang Fighter to be the Advanced counterpart in any DLC. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Don't worry about it.... it's only a matter of pairings..... squads are always made by 5 ships.... so they can balance the squads  in a lot of ways.

For example in bf2 only 1 player at a time can be darth vader

It's possible that some special ships can be used with some limitation 

so no problem

I hope Defender will be devastating but limited in numbers

Edited by Manolox

Posted (edited)

I don't see a problem with the Defender. The TIE Fighter isn't exactly the counterpart of the X-Wing (strength wise), but that's how it will be in the game. The developers will always use artistic licence to make the game more balanced.

Edited by C3gorach