Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

EA’s Star Wars Squadrons

No ideas on how Squadron mechanics could be incorporated into X-Wing? 

I'd personally guess that it'd be a title for one ship like, "Alpha Squadron Leader", which grants some kind of thematic ability to your ship and/or full squad. 

20 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

No ideas on how Squadron mechanics could be incorporated into X-Wing? 

I'd personally guess that it'd be a title for one ship like, "Alpha Squadron Leader", which grants some kind of thematic ability to your ship and/or full squad. 

Dont we have this already with epic wings?

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, reqent said:

EA's website states you can divert power between systems!

The power system is one of the things that made the classic PC games shine. I've been playing with transferring this idea to the table-top but haven't had the time to playtest much. I think it would add a nice dimension to the solo/coop variants of the game. The concept is described here:

Edited by OoALEJOoO

3 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Dont we have this already with epic wings?

Haven't touched the new epic pack stuff yet, but I'm sure you're right! 

I'm talking about something that would be playable in 200/6 standard. 

New extended content built onto the current competitive framework based on what this new game brings to the table. 

I mean, of course this game is going to effect X-Wing. 

The devs are obviously inspired by content from previous simulators, and now EA is adopting designs from FFG (Starhawk capital ship). 

I'm just excited about what this could mean for our favorite tabletop miniatures game. 😉

With X-wing Squadrons announced as only playable in first-person, it reminds me of the classic LucasArts X-wing/TIE Fighter games all the way down to the power distribution display and its colors for engines, laser cannons and shields.

2 hours ago, SteveSpikes said:

With X-wing Squadrons announced as only playable in first-person, it reminds me of the classic LucasArts X-wing/TIE Fighter games all the way down to the power distribution display and its colors for engines, laser cannons and shields.

Now if only it will have the campaign to live up to that classic.

Posted (edited)

Well, this isn't quite what I wanted.  But it's closer to what I wanted than anything else that's come out in the last 20 years.

That ship selection is...hmm.  Fighter, Bomber, Interceptor is obvious.  But Reaper?  Before Striker, or Advanced?  I guess you gotta leave something for DLC.

Also, WTF is that beam weapon the TIE Bombers are using?!  That **** ain't canon(although it might be cannon)!

Edited by DarthEnderX

11 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well, this isn't quite what I wanted.  But it's closer to what I wanted than anything else that's come out in the last 20 years.

That ship selection is...hmm.  Fighter, Bomber Interceptor is obvious.  But Reaper?  Before Striker, or Advanced?  I guess you gotta leave something for DLC.

Also, WTF is that beam weapon the TIE Bombers are using?!  That **** ain't canon(although it might be cannon)!

Possible upgrade? It's canon now lol. The gave the B-Wings a similar laser in Rebels

5 hours ago, Bucknife said:

Haven't touched the new epic pack stuff yet, but I'm sure you're right! 

I'm talking about something that would be playable in 200/6 standard. 

New extended content built onto the current competitive framework based on what this new game brings to the table. 

I mean, of course this game is going to effect X-Wing. 

The devs are obviously inspired by content from previous simulators, and now EA is adopting designs from FFG (Starhawk capital ship). 

I'm just excited about what this could mean for our favorite tabletop miniatures game. 😉

I've been wanting a squadron type upgrade myself for a while. I think it wouldn't go into a specific ship's slots, though, instead being something you equip to the squad as a whole (not taking talent or anything like that). The squadron would have a benefit, but the ships in the list would have to conform to some kind of requirements (like each ship with bombs, or each ship with missiles, or each ship with boost, each ship with an empty crew slot, etc).

47 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

That ship selection is...hmm.  Fighter, Bomber, Interceptor is obvious.  But Reaper?  Before Striker, or Advanced?  I guess you gotta leave something for DLC.

I think they wanted to include the U-Wing, so the Reaper was the obvious counterpart. It still feels like not the right first choice, though. B-Wings and TIE Defenders would have been my choice for the fourth slots. It makes me wonder if them being transports will matter at all in the game.

As far as that beam weapon, I guess something that gets installed where their ordinance is supposed to be that gives it a cannon slot, so you can take HLC? That seems pretty meh for X-Wing. Makes me wonder if they just up-gunned the bomber's main weapon because it's a bomber.

5 hours ago, SteveSpikes said:

That is not what I was expecting, but between being restricted to first person or third person I would definitely prefer a first person perspective.

Now I just need some confirmation that they have actually been testing and/or playing the game with joysticks.

4 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I've been wanting a squadron type upgrade myself for a while. I think it wouldn't go into a specific ship's slots, though, instead being something you equip to the squad as a whole (not taking talent or anything like that). The squadron would have a benefit, but the ships in the list would have to conform to some kind of requirements (like each ship with bombs, or each ship with missiles, or each ship with boost, each ship with an empty crew slot, etc).

I think it could be really cool if a Squadron title required the entire squad to deploy using the epic wing tool. 

It could be a one time starting thing where the squad may move as a wing until they break, but then can't regroup into the wing for the rest of the match. 

2 hours ago, dsul413 said:

gmar7hfs37551.png

Or not, if the trailer is accurate. Only two columns for Tie Interceptor. Left is the X-Wing.

Suprising, I wonder how they'll make 5v5 work if the empire just has worse equipment to work with (less sturdy, no torpedoes, no shielding, though faster and more maneuverable we saw how that went irl for the Zero)

15 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Suprising, I wonder how they'll make 5v5 work if the empire just has worse equipment to work with (less sturdy, no torpedoes, no shielding, though faster and more maneuverable we saw how that went irl for the Zero)

it will work! because.... these 5 ties are tie defenders

7 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

As far as that beam weapon, I guess something that gets installed where their ordinance is supposed to be that gives it a cannon slot, so you can take HLC? That seems pretty meh for X-Wing. Makes me wonder if they just up-gunned the bomber's main weapon because it's a bomber.

I feel like if they wanted to have a TIE with a giant laser on it, the TIE Brute would have made more sense.

1 hour ago, Nyxen said:

Perhaps the Ties will have better power management if there are no shields. It seems each column can up to 8 lights. The X-wing has 8 in blue and 2 in the red and green columns. The Tie has 6 in each column for red and blue. Comes out to 12 for each when adding up the lights, perhaps each ship only has "12" energy and the pilot has to allocate it to whichever system needs it most.

If true Empire ships may not have shields but they don't have to make much of a sacrifice to systems like Rebel ships have to.

Considering Battlefront 2 did give some Ties like Inferno Squad's Ties Proton Torpedoes and Interceptors having missles they have some room to wiggle. Could say it's part of personal modifications by the pilots, Empire standards might not be as high due to the Emperor being "dead" and all.

The laser by the Bomber reminds me of the laser from Rebels used by the B-wing, might be a case of reverse engineering.

I admit I miss flying the U-wing from the few times I got to play one back in Battlefront 2015 but curious on the choice. Curious if Reaper and U-wing will be used for objective mods if they have any.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Its 5 vs 5, but there may be AI controlled fighters like they did with BF2 that can help even out the disparity in power levels of the player controlled ships. Which would make sense with Fleet Battles, those would feel pretty sparse with only 10 starfighters out there. 

Edited by Jo Jo

6 hours ago, Manolox said:

maybe the time before hull start to be restored if you are not  hitted will be shorter on ties...

God, I hope there is no freaking regenerating hull! (and for balance, shield will be very weak)

Regenerating HPs is the bane of the modern games.