Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

EA’s Star Wars Squadrons

Anyone know if the Xbox One or PS4 support joysticks? The only thing I’m wary about is trying to play a hardcore flight sim with a game pad, and my PC is waaaaay behind the curve. This will most likely have to be a console experience for me.

16 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Anyone know if the Xbox One or PS4 support joysticks? The only thing I’m wary about is trying to play a hardcore flight sim with a game pad, and my PC is waaaaay behind the curve. This will most likely have to be a console experience for me.

Thrustmaster makes sticks that are PlayStation and PC compatible. I use one myself and have had no complaints.

This may be the boost that VR has been waiting for.

Elite: Dangerous shows that spaceship games work well on VR, but that doesn't have the appeal of Star Wars games.

E:D prefers joysticks and throttles (for lots of people), but SW:S may well favour gamepads. Both work well for VR.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Aetherer said:

Elite: Dangerous shows that spaceship games work well on VR, but that doesn't have the appeal of Star Wars games.

E:D prefers joysticks and throttles (for lots of people), but SW:S may well favour gamepads. Both work well for VR.

Yeah, I've been following UpIsNotJump's YouTube channel and his voyages into VR games (and subsequent descent into madness), and VR seems to be a tool that has been very underutilised so far in the video game industry.  Most big publishers have yet to really dip their toes and test the waters, with Elite: Dangerous and Half Life: Alyx being the only real full scale releases to be specifically tailored for it, and games like Skyrim and Fallout adapted to varying degrees of success for it.  Alien: Isolation (an absolutely brilliant adaption of the franchise by the way, and wow could that make a potentially great FFG game) was originally planned for VT but the functionality was removed before it's release, and eventually put back in as a mod by the player community (and boy, did it look intense).

But Star Wars: Squadrons would likely be the first real big-name franchise from a big-name publisher to take a punt - not only are Motive "gambling" on what could be perceived as a niche product in a dedicated spaceflight combat game, but they're doubling down by implementing VR.  If Squadrons is well received, we could see a flight sim renaissance; if the VR gameplay is well received, we could see it used much more frequently by big name studios.

Edited by FTS Gecko

On the one hand I'm generally terrified of VR. Given my propensity for getting shaky-cam headaches and such any sort of standing VR experience is something I do not want. But a flight sim or driving sim sort of thing where one is seated with an appropriate set of physical controls may be an entirely different story. But it is a considerable investment in hardware and it comes at considerable risk of being something I can't use as I'll end up nauseous. But going VR and saving on multiple displays and graphics cards to support such so you can put more into wheels and sticks and such seems an interesting choice. It seems it would end up a space saver as well. 

I think the hardware expense though is the source of it being something the game industry isn't trying to sell. It is a chicken and the egg paradox of sorts isn't it? Is it not enough hardware in the hands of gamers or not enough games to justify the hardware purchase? 

Can someone with a bit of spare time help me calculate how much $$$ would it cost to get a laptop + controllers for this game? No VR. In USA, just for clarity.

26 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Can someone with a bit of spare time help me calculate how much $$$ would it cost to get a laptop + controllers for this game? No VR. In USA, just for clarity.

If you want something to game with, the best option by far, both practically and economically, is to get help ordering parts and build a small desktop PC, especially if you're okay with a machine that isn't top of the line. 

Even so-called 'gaming' laptops aren't great for extended use gaming. I bought a laptop to play Starcraft 2 purely so I could take it to a friend's house to play together, and even though it was more than enough to run the game, it still got worn out after just a couple years. 

4 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

HOTAS controllers start at $150. According to PC Mag a budget gaming laptop is going to be starting at $700: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-gaming-laptops

That's just a quick google for "HOTAS Controller PC" and "gaming laptop." 

5 hours ago, Frimmel said:

...vut a flight sim or driving sim sort of thing where one is seated with an appropriate set of physical controls may be an entirely different story...

...that is what I think VR (at least home VR) is made for.  Seated environment, being able to look around and react to what's happening, full immersion... it has the potential to be truly incredible.

Flight Sims, racing games, things like that... it's perfect.  Anything where you. Have full movement and a body to control, maybe not so much.

5 hours ago, Frimmel said:

It is a chicken and the egg paradox of sorts isn't it? Is it not enough hardware in the hands of gamers or not enough games to justify the hardware purchase? 

Yes, absolutely.  Just check out a couple of UpIsNotJump's YouTube vids - Alien: Isolation is a GREAT example, it was originally planned for VR but it was pulled from the final game release.  The community put it back in and... Wow.

Most VR games at the moment are eithe rmods or indy affairs   The big name publishers at the moment seem to be taking the stance "OK, convince me.".  But once we see a game take full advantage of the potential, and the player base respond...

I guess this begs the question; is there still no VR support for XBox? That would probably be my first-choice console because it's what my friends use, but I know PS4 has VR capability.

I'm a Mac user and a tabletop gamer. Don't do much electronic gaming and what I do I can run from a Bootcamp windows on my Mac. Clearly this is a whole new level and requires different hardware, and if I'm going to take the plunge I want to know I'm getting good value...

I don't know.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:27 AM, Sk3tch said:

I was tempted with VR, i think id rather just get a decent stick though

You could also maybe have a decent stick or HOTAS as well as play in VR, but that seems to me like quite a lot of money to spend for the experience.

1 minute ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Is it just me, or the TIE's cockpit shape is serious drawback vs Rebel cockpits if you can look around using VR?

I can't recall if we saw any TIE pilots looking around in VR in the videos. I guess they'll either just give the TIE a way to see around them that either does or doesn't fit the fiction somehow (sensors or something that let you see what's going on in your peripheral), or they'll keep the in-universe drawback of the TIE fighters in that regard.

1 hour ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Is it just me, or the TIE's cockpit shape is serious drawback vs Rebel cockpits if you can look around using VR?

In an interview posted above, the project head said that this can actually be seen as an advantage to the TIE fighters. You can't see as much, so you have fewer distractions. You can only shoot what's in front of you anyway, and you have scanners for your peripherals.

I'm guessing the TIEs might have a lower skill floor, but the Rebel ships might have a higher skill ceiling. Could be wrong here and of course it probably varies by chassis, but that seems to be the thinking of the devs. They said the same of the shields: "Sure, you don't have shields, but you also don't have to keep track of shields."

On 6/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, Sk3tch said:

I was tempted with VR, i think id rather just get a decent stick though

To be honest, in my opinion, you would only need is a decent HOTAS controller to play the game.  You may be able to look around using the "hat" control alone, or in combination with another button.
Those of us who played the classic LucasArts X-wing and TIE Fighter games did not have VR back in the day.  I'm planning to get a new HOTAS controller in the near future -- before Squadrons drops.

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 2:53 PM, Sithborg said:

I hated Infinity War, you don't see me being insistent that my view of the movie is correct and everyone needs to hear my opinion. 

Well this is a Star Wars forum, so you pushing Marvel opinions would be a lot more out of place than him pushing Star Wars opinions.

15 hours ago, Aetherer said:

I'll be honest, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how a space sim plays on a modern controller.  I used to use a flight stick back in the day, but that's because gamepads back then didn't even have analog sticks.  Now they have 2 sticks and a ****-ton of buttons and I'm curious to see if they can do the job now without me having to buy a flight stick again.

Edited by DarthEnderX

17 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well this is a Star Wars forum, so you pushing Marvel opinions would be a lot more out of place than him pushing Star Wars opinions.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how a space sim plays on a modern controller.  I used to use a flight stick back in the day, but that's because gamepads back then didn't even have analog sticks.  Now they have 2 sticks and a ****-ton of buttons and I'm curious to see if they can do the job now without me having to buy a flight stick again.

If Elite: Dangerous is anything to go by, then yes, a modern controller should be more than adequate for an X-Wing style game.

16 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

You could also maybe have a decent stick or HOTAS as well as play in VR, but that seems to me like quite a lot of money to spend for the experience.

Yes one or the other for sure I think HOTAS would be the first choice. If the game is still insanely popular into next year i might look at VR

On 6/24/2020 at 7:59 PM, FTS Gecko said:

If Elite: Dangerous is anything to go by, then yes, a modern controller should be more than adequate for an X-Wing style game.

Eh. I tried playing Elite on a game pad and found it impossible and disappointing. I very much wanted to like it, I just felt like I was hamstrung with the tiny little pad and complicated button layout. Never picked it up again after the first few hours.