Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

EA’s Star Wars Squadrons Game Achievements and Early Mission Reveal !!

I got the idea from the interview article link someone provided that this is going to be all there is of this. There are no plans for DLC. What we see with this is what we're going to get. They don't seem to even be trying to monetize the cosmetic stuff and making that microtransactions. This is a trial balloon for something. Maybe just to make an argument for keeping the star fighter stuff out of Battlefront so they can sell another game to some players as well as a game at all to some players.  

37 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

I don't see a problem with the Defender. The TIE Fighter isn't exactly the counterpart of the X-Wing (strength wise), but that's how it will be in the game. The developers will always use artistic licence to make the game more balanced.

I could see them making the Defender a vessel which rewards tight power management; you might be able to out shoot, outrun and out-shield (I'm making that a word) any Rebel ship, but not all at once.

10 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I got the idea from the interview article link someone provided that this is going to be all there is of this. There are no plans for DLC. What we see with this is what we're going to get. They don't seem to even be trying to monetize the cosmetic stuff and making that microtransactions. This is a trial balloon for something. Maybe just to make an argument for keeping the star fighter stuff out of Battlefront so they can sell another game to some players as well as a game at all to some players.  

Its EA. They are extremely skittish about paywalls in Star Wars games, after the Battlefront 2 debacle. We will see what happens. This is clearly a side project, and one coming out at a kind of weird time for expansion, as it comes out just as the new consoles will be coming out. 

46 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

I don't see a problem with the Defender. The TIE Fighter isn't exactly the counterpart of the X-Wing (strength wise), but that's how it will be in the game. The developers will always use artistic licence to make the game more balanced.

That's what I'm afraid of: the devs, for balance sake, to nerf the TIE Defender's stats to the point it is unrecognisable.

And no, I hope they don't add the TIE Defender in all of it's glory, specially not in limited numbers ("heroes"). In multiplayer games I prefer to have a fighting chance instead of being an NPC for other people's amusement. Also, there is a great elegance in how the Rebel ?-wing ships are balanced, with their advantages and trade-offs. The TIE Defender has no trade-offs.

Here is a great chance to feature the obscure TIE Brute: it looks as slow and armoured as the B-Wing. If only it had more guns...

17 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

Its EA. They are extremely skittish about paywalls in Star Wars games, after the Battlefront 2 debacle. We will see what happens. This is clearly a side project, and one coming out at a kind of weird time for expansion, as it comes out just as the new consoles will be coming out. 

The new generation of consoles soon arriving is probably why there isn't any DLC planned. I hadn't considered that and that makes this look even more like a trial balloon of some sort. 

I think you can safely write Battlefront-style heroes out of the equation here.

It's pretty obvious from the interview and the game okay demo that the idea is to build, upgrade and promote your own pilot / in game avatar.

I think the only place we'll see heroes of any description will be in the single player campaign, and the briefing room.

4 hours ago, Odanan said:

That's what I'm afraid of: the devs, for balance sake, to nerf the TIE Defender's stats to the point it is unrecognisable.

And no, I hope they don't add the TIE Defender in all of it's glory, specially not in limited numbers ("heroes"). In multiplayer games I prefer to have a fighting chance instead of being an NPC for other people's amusement. Also, there is a great elegance in how the Rebel ?-wing ships are balanced, with their advantages and trade-offs. The TIE Defender has no trade-offs.

Here is a great chance to feature the obscure TIE Brute: it looks as slow and armoured as the B-Wing. If only it had more guns...

Luckily, in canon, the Defender isn't quite as god like as you may think.

2 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Because its 40 bucks. I don't expect a robust singleplayer at that price point. My guess is maybe 10-12 missions total (5 or 6 per faction). 

That seems about right to me as well. You need to fill those MP servers so the game is not going to be long. As to the tutorial aspect the video said you need to log time in all the ship classes. Four classes with two single-player missions for each class on each side would bring it in at sixteen though. 

Is no one talking about the potential for Hotshots and Aces style expansions for X-wing based on the characters in this? We are going to have a new cast of named characters, signature flying styles, and even new mechanics and upgrades (which in the Polygon interview they specifically said they pulled from x-wing miniatures). 

If the Rebs and Imps are done for ship designs, this is exactly what we need to expand the options available. I personally really really hope they put out a Squadrons specific card pack.

It all looks and sounds too good. At least someone took note of how many pilots got into elite/starcitizen/battlefront missions and decided this was a good idea.

like several others i'm hoping for xwing/tie fighter remastered. the ships look right, but did they add the shield/power management that really gave those games their depth ?.......

At the price point, i'm only expecting battlefront lite with a different shell and updated shiny visuals. I just hope to the they haven't copy/pasted the progression from battlefront (even if it isn't paywalled) and found a more organic way to do it. 🙃

As for ships, you only need to step over into the xwing catalog to see they have a huge range to draw from for future updates....

Edited by Ralgon

1 hour ago, DatonKallandor said:

People in here trying to come up with weird counterparts to the B-Wing, when there's always been one in the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games: You're all forgetting the Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing. Aka the Assault Gunboat.

Hasn't had any screen time. Doesn't mean it is impossible that they'll add it if they do add more ships (no current plans to from what we know), just that the ones being discussed are more likely.

1 hour ago, Ralgon said:

It all looks and sounds too good. At least someone took note of how many pilots got into elite/starcitizen/battlefront missions and decided this was a good idea.

like several others i'm hoping for xwing/tie fighter remastered. the ships look right, but did they add the shield/power management that really gave those games their depth ?.......

At the price point, i'm only expecting battlefront lite with a different shell and updated shiny visuals. I just hope to the they haven't copy/pasted the progression from battlefront (even if it isn't paywalled) and found a more organic way to do it. 🙃

As for ships, you only need to step over into the xwing catalog to see they have a huge range to draw from for future updates....

Much of this is readily answered. The gameplay mechanics show in the trailer are clearly well above BF lite, and power management is discussed in decent detail.

Edited by dsul413

4 hours ago, DatonKallandor said:

People in here trying to come up with weird counterparts to the B-Wing, when there's always been one in the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games: You're all forgetting the Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing. Aka the Assault Gunboat.

While the ship does have its fans if you made a DLC for a game and want people to buy it you want something that people will recognize and want to pay for, if it's paid DLC. 

For Rebels the main starfighter ship left is the B-wing, shows up in the movies, tv shows, and several other media. 

If the average person sees the Gunboat the first thing they may think of is the Lambda shuttle, that or wondering what the ship is and why its not a Tie.

The Tie advanced is probably the most iconic starfighter people would recognize from the Empire that's not in the game already. It's role though is nothing special, it has shields and a hyperdrive but it's stats match the X wing much more.

The Tie Defender while not as known still has a good number of fans and had a major position and subject of Rebels. It also has shown up as a advanced AI reinforcement in Battlefront 2015, so the model is there.

The Brute is probably the lowest on the list but could provide some interesting options. The ship appeared in Solo and if the leaks are true is due for X-wing. It is supposed to have a droid brain so perhaps some in flight assistance from it and also options for cannons.

I suppose they could bundle the B wing and Gunboat in one package but I can hear people complaining already about not doing the Defender or so and so already. Sides not every ship type has to be similar. The class could be called "Prototypes" or "Advanced Fighter". The B could be a slow heavy hitting fighter/bomber and the Defender a fast shielded Tie with missles and a bunch of lasers.

But personally? I don't think this game is gonna have any after launch support besides some bug fixes and maybe a few cosmetics. With ps5 around the corner, this being 40 bucks, and people disgusted with anything involved with EA this is likely to burn out fast.

B-Wing = TIE Defender
T-47 Airspeeder = TIE Striker
E-Wing = TIE Advance x1
K-Wing = TIE Punisher

6 hours ago, DatonKallandor said:

Never needs to return in a world where the TIE Hunter exists.

And before anyone brings it up, the Missile Boat doesn't need to exist with the TIE Punisher.

Edited by DarthEnderX

18 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Because its 40 bucks. I don't expect a robust singleplayer at that price point. My guess is maybe 10-12 missions total (5 or 6 per faction). 

Price doesn't necessarily equate to campaign length.  Plenty of low price release it budget games have solid single player campaigns.

Now that argument might resonate more with the triple A cinematic game releases (which this is not), but at the moment, we're best served to wait and see.

I'd suggest with a space combat simulator like this, the main thing which would inhibit campaign length would be cut scenes and voice acting rather than the missions themselves.

Edited by FTS Gecko

8 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

...never needs to return in a world where the TIE Hunter exists.

But the TIE Hunter doesn't exist, DEX.  Not in Disney canon, not in X-Wing: The Miniatures Game, not in anything of note.  😂😂😂

And some would say the TIE Hunter doesn't need to return in a world where the TIE Defender already exists.  In Disney canon.  And in X-Wing: The Miniatures Game.

23 hours ago, Frimmel said:

The new generation of consoles soon arriving is probably why there isn't any DLC planned. I hadn't considered that and that makes this look even more like a trial balloon of some sort. 

Why make DLCs when you can sell an entire sequel for double the price? 

...hone-in the gameplay and stomp out the bugs. 

Back to the '90s gaming policies, it seems.

Hey, it worked. 

10 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Never needs to return in a world where the TIE Hunter exists.

And before anyone brings it up, the Missile Boat doesn't need to exist with the TIE Punisher.

Welcome to our fractured StarWars canon. 

There's always some backwater Imperial base with outdated scrounged assets or some secret installation with obscenely powerful localized Space Superiority fighter. 

"Everything is canon."

Fans will find a way. 

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

But the TIE Hunter doesn't exist, DEX.  Not in Disney canon, not in X-Wing: The Miniatures Game, not in anything of note.  😂😂😂

And some would say the TIE Hunter doesn't need to return in a world where the TIE Defender already exists.  In Disney canon.  And in X-Wing: The Miniatures Game.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.