Sign in to follow this  
Sm00thB0r3

Stealth Device

Hi, I am a little confused as to how stealth device actually works. When is it actually “active”? Is it able to be repaired? For example, if I wanted to put stealth device and r2-d2 on Luke Skywalker and Luke lost a shield, can r2-d2 regen a shield to repair the stealth device? I’m assuming the answer is yes but unsure. Any help would be appreciated.

Just now, Sm00thB0r3 said:

Hi, I am a little confused as to how stealth device actually works. When is it actually “active”? Is it able to be repaired? For example, if I wanted to put stealth device and r2-d2 on Luke Skywalker and Luke lost a shield, can r2-d2 regen a shield to repair the stealth device? I’m assuming the answer is yes but unsure. Any help would be appreciated.

Stealth Device is “active” as long as it has its own charge. It loses that charge when the ship it is on suffers damage (either via losing a shield or being dealt a damage card.)

Once the charge is gone, even if the ship is able to get back to full health, Stealth Device is still inactive. 

Posted (edited)

The only way I can think of off the top of my head to regain the Stealth Device charge (thereby 'fixing' it) is with the "Chopper" astromech. Note that won't work for an X-wing though because Chopper requires the sacrifice of two shields to recover a charge on an upgrade... But it could work on an ARC-170 -o̶r̶ ̶Y̶-̶w̶i̶n̶g̶!

340?cb=20180731224314

Edited by nitrobenz
Y-wing does not have enough shields.

33 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

The only way I can think of off the top of my head to regain the Stealth Device charge (thereby 'fixing' it) is with the "Chopper" astromech. Note that won't work for an X-wing though because Chopper requires the sacrifice of two shields to recover a charge on an upgrade... But it could work on an ARC-170 or Y-wing!

340?cb=20180731224314

Quinn Jast is another, though she isn't in the Rebel faction.

latest?cb=20180914111202

1 hour ago, nitrobenz said:

The only way I can think of off the top of my head to regain the Stealth Device charge (thereby 'fixing' it) is with the "Chopper" astromech. Note that won't work for an X-wing though because Chopper requires the sacrifice of two shields to recover a charge on an upgrade... But it could work on an ARC-170 or Y-wing!

340?cb=20180731224314

I mean, you could, but its a round about way and you'd have to set up just to do it in a way that is a lot of points & effort for not alot of gain.

Add Torpedoes. Use torp charges to recover shield, spend shields to recover stealth device. By itself, it would take multiple turns. Or it could get help from a coordinating ship to do that in the same turn.

I'd say Norra is the only pilot worth serious consideration for the Chopper+Stealth combo and I wouldn't bank on that as the default strategy. With her ability to add an Evade result plus a little luck and a few tokens she can be nigh invincible against a swarm of low attack ships. In that circumstance chopper can fix stealth if they just take a single point of damage and the extra die can likely save at least that much damage.

Against a more powerful, less numerous list she would rather regain a shield than trade shields for stealth. As @Lyianx pointed out: for that you need another charge based upgrade for chopper to eat such as torpedoes or the elusiveness talent.

This is all pretty off topic from the original rules question 😂

42 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

I'd say Norra is the only pilot worth serious consideration for the Chopper+Stealth combo and I wouldn't bank on that as the default strategy. With her ability to add an Evade result plus a little luck and a few tokens she can be nigh invincible against a swarm of low attack ships. In that circumstance chopper can fix stealth if they just take a single point of damage and the extra die can likely save at least that much damage.

Against a more powerful, less numerous list she would rather regain a shield than trade shields for stealth. As @Lyianx pointed out: for that you need another charge based upgrade for chopper to eat such as torpedoes or the elusiveness talent.

This is all pretty off topic from the original rules question 😂

Jek...

18 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Jek...

Porkins! I wasn't as impressed with that as I was with Norra. The die roll for damage when removing stress can end up negating the recovery after spending all that points and actions on him. I'd say he's a distant second choice for Chopper shenanigans in my book, but at least he's a bunch cheaper!

Also on the topic of 'repairing' Stealth Device (the original topic) he's not as good because you have to spend one action and an elusive charge to get a shield, then two shields and a second action for SD whereas as long as Norra only takes one damage she can spend her other two shields next turn to fix stealth device and hold on to Elusive to help keep the SD online.

15 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Porkins! I wasn't as impressed with that as I was with Norra. The die roll for damage when removing stress can end up negating the recovery after spending all that points and actions on him. I'd say he's a distant second choice for Chopper shenanigans in my book, but at least he's a bunch cheaper!

Also on the topic of 'repairing' Stealth Device (the original topic) he's not as good because you have to spend one action and an elusive charge to get a shield, then two shields and a second action for SD whereas as long as Norra only takes one damage she can spend her other two shields next turn to fix stealth device and hold on to Elusive to help keep the SD online.

Norra Arc-170?

Thanks for all the replies. The feeling I get is that Stealth Device is an upgrade that isn’t really worth it for the points and it taking numerous actions to “repair” it. What would be other alternative upgrades that boost your green dice?

Posted (edited)

You're not supposed to repair it, you're supposed to not get damaged in the first place.  You put it on 3-green-die ships that can stack focus and evade, ideally multiple times or with Force as well, or other defensive upgrades, and you make it so that ship just... doesn't get hit.

This doesn't work anywhere near as well as it used to in 1e, partly because stacking defensive tokens is a LOT harder, and partly because it gets turned off by damage, rather than by being hit, so it's a lot easier to lose it to incidental effects..

Edited by thespaceinvader

8 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

You're not supposed to repair it, you're supposed to not get damaged in the first place.  You put it on 3-green-die ships that can stack focus and evade, ideally multiple times or with Force as well, or other defensive upgrades, and you make it so that ship just... doesn't get hit.

This doesn't work anywhere near as well as it used to in 1e, partly because stacking defensive tokens is a LOT harder, and partly because it gets turned off by damage, rather than by being hit, so it's a lot easier to lose it to incidental effects..

And to be fair, it also has scaling point cost. So for lower agility ships, its cheaper because it isnt worth as much.

Posted (edited)

There's also use for Stealth Device on low-agility ships with strong defensive modification.  Rey, Captain Feroph, Braylen Stramm.  Maybe even a Rebel YT-1300 with the Falcon title (Han has Rerolls, too).  I wouldn't say Norra: her Range 2-3 defenses aren't good enough.

You don't necessarily expect it to remain for more than one or two attacks, but you only need one evade out of it to make it worthwhile, to get the same value as out of a shield upgrade.  If you can get more than one evade out of it (say, defending at long range against weaker attacks), it's great value.

Edited by theBitterFig