Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Happy Birthday

10 minutes ago, Cubanboy said:

Happy Friday Peeps,

Question of the week, what is your favorite X-Wing moment?

(first ship bought, game play or something else)

Having a HLC Cartel Spacer, my last ship from a 2x Bounty hunter 2x HLC Spacer list iirc, mop up a table during a casual game when 2.0 first released. Was vs  Han, Torani and something else (been over a year now so my memory of it is a little hazy, I think it was Zuccus or 4-L0M. Was just Han and Torani left when my ship and dice went nuts). Rng was with me since I leaned into Evade tokens whenever Han had a shot on it (so unmodded 4 die, 3 to 4 hits) and tried to make sure I was never in Torani's bullseye. My friend split up Torani and Han, with my little Spacer coming in from their front right, hoping I would chase Han. Riiight. Chase the fastest blasted ship in the game (2 die or 3 die, Scum and Rebel YT-1300s are faster than a M3-A by allot, especially with EU equipped) or loop in behind and tear into  something that specializes in bypassing defensive mods... Ya, bye Torani...

😄 

Posted (edited)

Back in 1e, the first few times I flew Y-Wings with Ion Turret, R2, and BTL-A4 was one of the first times I really had a lot of fun. Local non-tourney meta had a lot of people playing aces and large ships. While the aces were still hard to pin down, I found that play engaging. And the large ships at the time just annoyed the heck out of me, so being able to whittle them down fairly consistently was a nice change. Then TLT made it even more consistent on the damage side and gave it more range (but they fixed TLT in 1e, right? got rid of the second bonus? I wasn't playing much at that point).

I haven't personally had as much with the game since then (1st or 2nc ed), though Y-Wings in 2.0 are also a lot of fun and can be built almost exactly like the original build above (VTG, R4, Ion- it's actually more versatile since you can move the turret, enough room for a couple of devices/illicits). I think there was probably too many factors going into why I had so much fun with it for me to have that moment again(me still being pretty new to the game, decent efficiency, working against builds/players I had struggled with before, new faction, new meaningful upgrades on ships I already liked).

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

I have several, like when we had to clarify rules on final salvo when there were no ships on the board, or in HOATC watching  our teams bombs wipe out several tie fighters that clustered around them.

My first fond memory in x-wing was when the phantom first came out. We mostly played casual versions of aces high at my home and wanted to try out the new ships. I got a shot off with Echo at my friends E-Wing's side arch from around an asteroid. My friend tried to chase me, but I decloaked to the other side of the asteroid and shot him again in the back. This is the moment that built my love for jank lists and squirrelly maneuvering. Echo will always be one of my favorite ships, even though I rarely play Empire anymore.

Definitely the moment I won my first ever tournament game. My opponent was chasing my last Auzituck that was almost dead with his decently healthy Falcon. I kept dialing in moves he didn't expect, I guess, because he kept bumping me. Neither of us really noticed how close the board edge was. He was a bit pissed when he flew off. 😅

Of course then I played against triple ion defenders (a ship I'd never witnessed on the table at the time) and died horribly to a 12 year old. But hey.

In a tournament a few years ago when the Jumpmaster combo thing was the OP netlist of the month. Some guy brought that, and I had some random Rey/something list. It was my first match in my first tournament, and I beat him.

BHFCB!

Some of my most memorable/enjoyable moments...

1st ed:

First tournament win (the store threw the kitchen sink at me in terms of swag, managed to get a copy of Armada with the store credit)

Going berserk when the Gunboat was finally annoinced.

Team Epic at the European Championships with @Arma Quattro

Meeting Alex Davy there as well:

1396460932_IMG_20180603_1756585.thumb.jpg.f66f2b3ff02b36ab8a1520495745c51f.jpg

2nd ed:

Wiping Vader off the board with a HLC Scyk at last year's System Open.

Taking my FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS. to within one hull of the cut at last year's Euros.

Then taking my FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS. into the cut at last year's Nationals.

But most of all, getting the chance to travel around, meet lots of friendly players from around the globe and be a small part of an incredible gaming community.

Posted (edited)

Going undefeated in hyperspace qualifier and punching my ticket to worlds. Had to go through rebel alpha, three rebel beef squads, and a CIS swarm in final match. Some of my best flying ever in this tournament

Edited by wurms

Winning the Gold Squadron Classic for me was a pretty big deal. Winning a 56 person Hyperspace trial was pretty cool. Top 2 at Gencon 2019 was pretty hype, too, although I would have rather won instead of being a finalist.

Posted (edited)

Playing a tournament with 3 Lambda Shuttles and the sole intent of dealing as much damage as possibly with Anti-Pursuit lasers.  I horribly lost the tournament, but I think I managed to deal around 15 or 16 damage to enemy ships by making them bump me.  It was glorious.

Edited by joeshmoe554