Sign in to follow this  
Rmcarrier1

First Order Maxima-A Heavy Cruiser (by Mel Minis)

I wouldn't be opposed to more movie editing just to get more ships like this in the films. Why not have a Victory Star Destroyer and/or Gladiator attempt to intercept the Millennium Falcon over Tatooine in Episode IV for example? Or instead of the Falcon's hyperdrive malfunctioning being the reason for Solo flying into the Hoth asteroid field it was a late to arrive Interdictor blocking escape? I like that last one a lot because it could've been another reason Vader choked Ozzel, that Ozzel raced ahead without the Interdictor meant to rendezvous with Death Squadron. Adding Arquitens and other ships in Episode III would be great as well.

6 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Judging by the ventral hanger, how big do we think this is? Say, in comparison to an ISD or Ventator? Mel might be able to answer that question better than anyone since he modeled it.

Well, considering the size o the tower, the engines and the turrets and this panel (the only panel where you can scale it with other ships) It should be about 800m. So it's pretty similar to the Acclamator.

pic5468383.jpg

15 hours ago, melminiatures said:

Well, considering the size o the tower, the engines and the turrets and this panel (the only panel where you can scale it with other ships) It should be about 800m. So it's pretty similar to the Acclamator.

Great context, thanks! I'm a fan -- Star Wars needs more ships that aren't the size of entire cities. ūüėČ

On 6/10/2020 at 11:31 AM, Piratical Moustache said:

I wouldn't be opposed to more movie editing just to get more ships like this in the films. Why not have a Victory Star Destroyer and/or Gladiator attempt to intercept the Millennium Falcon over Tatooine in Episode IV for example? Or instead of the Falcon's hyperdrive malfunctioning being the reason for Solo flying into the Hoth asteroid field it was a late to arrive Interdictor blocking escape? I like that last one a lot because it could've been another reason Vader choked Ozzel, that Ozzel raced ahead without the Interdictor meant to rendezvous with Death Squadron. Adding Arquitens and other ships in Episode III would be great as well.

Wouldn't that just cause another "Han Shoots First" controversy that would further polarize the fandom?

The Millennium Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. That's part of its appeal. You can't change the Falcon's unreliability in ESB without fundamentally changing the Falcon's endearingly temperamental personality. Numerous important scenes wouldn't work if the Falcon's hyperdrive wasn't broken. If it was changed so the Falcon's hyperdrive had been working but it couldn't escape from the Imperial fleet because of an Interdictor, Han still could've hitched a ride on the back of the Avenger, but after the Falcon detached and the Imperial fleet jumped away, the Falcon could've hyperjumped anywhere and rendezvoused with the Rebel fleet, as planned. But Boba Fett couldn't have tracked the Falcon through hyperspace or deduced where the Falcon was going and informed Vader, to setup the ambush. So the entire second half of ESB would be radically different.

No one wants that.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see more ship diversity in the Star Wars films, so adding new CG ships into scenes isn't a bad idea. But new CG ships cannot be allowed to affect the plot in any way.

I'd be content with seeing more diversity of Imperial ships in Disney+ shows going forward, rather than meddling with the Original Trilogy any more.

33 minutes ago, Reavern said:

Wouldn't that just cause another "Han Shoots First" controversy that would further polarize the fandom?

The Millennium Falcon is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. That's part of its appeal. You can't change the Falcon's unreliability in ESB without fundamentally changing the Falcon's endearingly temperamental personality. Numerous important scenes wouldn't work if the Falcon's hyperdrive wasn't broken. If it was changed so the Falcon's hyperdrive had been working but it couldn't escape from the Imperial fleet because of an Interdictor, Han still could've hitched a ride on the back of the Avenger, but after the Falcon detached and the Imperial fleet jumped away, the Falcon could've hyperjumped anywhere and rendezvoused with the Rebel fleet, as planned. But Boba Fett couldn't have tracked the Falcon through hyperspace or deduced where the Falcon was going and informed Vader, to setup the ambush. So the entire second half of ESB would be radically different.

No one wants that.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see more ship diversity in the Star Wars films, so adding new CG ships into scenes isn't a bad idea. But new CG ships cannot be allowed to affect the plot in any way.

I'd be content with seeing more diversity of Imperial ships in Disney+ shows going forward, rather than meddling with the Original Trilogy any more.

That could be rectified by having the Falcon's temperamental hyperdrive damaged by the Interdictor's gravity wells. Han shouldn't have been able to get from Hoth to Bespin at sublight speed anyways so a plot reworking wouldn't bother me. Not to mention that the Empire had the ability to calculate where an escaped into hyperspace ship might have gone well before TLJ according to a line from Vader.

1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

That could be rectified by having the Falcon's temperamental hyperdrive damaged by the Interdictor's gravity wells. Han shouldn't have been able to get from Hoth to Bespin at sublight speed anyways so a plot reworking wouldn't bother me. Not to mention that the Empire had the ability to calculate where an escaped into hyperspace ship might have gone well before TLJ according to a line from Vader.

I know that doesn't make sense... if you don't use your imagination.

A plausible explanation when ESB was first released was that Bespin was a planet in the Hoth system, so the Falcon could've flown at sublight speed to another planet in the same star system in a matter of days.

Of course, it would've been an unlikely coincidence that Han's frenemy happened to administrate a mining colony in the same star system as the secret Rebel Base -- but only slightly less plausible than Lando managing a mining colony in a star system neighboring Hoth.

Regardless, it was only after ESB that the Star Wars canon lore and galactic map were created, and established that Hoth and Bespin were two different star systems along an offshoot of the Corellian Trade Spine.

latest?cb=20101012133526

That's when it became problematic for the Millennium Falcon to travel at sublight between Hoth and Bespin, because it should've taken years, minimum.

Another explanation was that the Falcon used its backup Class 10 hyperdrive to reach Bespin after the Imperial fleet departed. But that never made sense IMO because if the Falcon had a backup hyperdrive and it was functional, Han would've used it to jump to hyperspace and escape the Imperial fleet. It wouldn't have mattered how slow that backup hyperdrive was compared to the Falcon's Class 0.5 hyperdrive, because the Falcon just needed to momentarily elude the Imperials in realspace. Han could've dropped the Falcon out of hyperspace after only a few parsecs, beyond the sensor range of the Imperial ships in Hoth, then changed course, jumped again, repeated, and zigzagged across the galaxy, making it impossible for the Imperials or Boba Fett to track the Falcon. Then Han could've found a safe port to stop to repair the Falcon's main hyperdrive. Simple. But a boring film.

There's also the possibility that off-screen, Han happened across another ship en route to Hoth and docked with it (with or without its knowledge or consent), and hitched a ride through hyperspace to Bespin.

So it's within the realm of possibility that Han flew the Falcon to Bespin without a hyperdrive.