Sign in to follow this  
Muelmuel

How to retire smart

I just read again the rules for retiring one's fleet in the campaign, and realized aside from similar build rules as a starting out fleet the new commander gains extra experience points equal to half their previous commander

I'm currently in a crazy online game where the Rabble went heavy on squads, and after round one, two of the ship-heavy Imperil fleets retired for heavy fighter lists

What are your experiences and strategies with regards to retiring fleets in the midst of the campaign?

2 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

I just read again the rules for retiring one's fleet in the campaign, and realized aside from similar build rules as a starting out fleet the new commander gains extra experience points equal to half their previous commander

I'm currently in a crazy online game where the Rabble went heavy on squads, and after round one, two of the ship-heavy Imperil fleets retired for heavy fighter lists

What are your experiences and strategies with regards to retiring fleets in the midst of the campaign?

Would that be the 'Retiring in the Rim' campaign or the 'Corellian Retirement' campaign?

My group is using the (normal) 1/3 point cap for squads, so this should be less of an issue for us, but yes, retire and start again if your fleet is at a large disadvantage. Whilst the new commander gets some xp, don't you lose out on all the upgrades bought since the start?

In our Corellian campaign, the Imperials took such heavy losses that they had to retire one fleet per round so we took pity on them and let the replacement fleets have multiple upgrades and points equal to the destroyed fleet! And we still won... 😉

23 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Cant you just let them kill your bombers and switch to ships without retiring?

In CC, yeah.

RitR I think has a mechanic to let you trade in squads or any kind of upgrade of half cost to purchase something else

Retiring a fleet in Rebellion in the Rim is strategically a good idea if you can build something designed to take out an enemy fleet. Unlike CC, you do not lose any victory points and you will be able to get the fleet into a half-way decent position after 1 or 2 rounds. Bear in mind that this principally depends on how powerful your opponent is and if they have control of ally tokens.

RitR if you are going to retire your fleet, do it as soon as you can, preferably end of turn one, otherwise you end up further behind, every turn you are looking to add upgrades.

CC you only want to retire if you end up with ton of stuff scared and you are getting to the stage where a new fleet would be more powerful than what you have.

14 hours ago, Pwmf said:

RitR if you are going to retire your fleet, do it as soon as you can, preferably end of turn one, otherwise you end up further behind, every turn you are looking to add upgrades.

CC you only want to retire if you end up with ton of stuff scared and you are getting to the stage where a new fleet would be more powerful than what you have.

100% agree.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, Fraggle_Rock said:

Unlike CC, you do not lose any victory points

But you do award a campaign point to the other side which is a similar result. Still, gotta do it sometimes. Try to use this option early, and when you can round up and keep an extra XP!

And like Fraggle said, only takes 1-2 rounds in RitR to have a competitive fleet again.

Edited by webv
p18 RitR guide says no such thing!

29 minutes ago, webv said:

But you do award a campaign point to the other side which is a similar result. Still, gotta do it sometimes. Try to use this option early, and when you can round up and keep an extra XP!

And like Fraggle said, only takes 1-2 rounds in RitR to have a competitive fleet again.

My bad - I should have said unlike CC, you don't award the opposing team a campaign point. 🙂

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, Fraggle_Rock said:

My bad - I should have said unlike CC, you don't award the opposing team a campaign point. 🙂

The rebel cells and imperial local patrols are too many and insignificant, that their overturn are not taken with significant account into the war effort. Taking and holding the planets are what matters 😄

I couldn't maintain my fleet, getting shredded by interceptors so I had to retire my fleet now, sacrificing quite a few uniques. Exciting

Edited by Muelmuel