Sign in to follow this  
flatpackhamster

Starhawk on station at speed 0

Playing a Starhawk vs Starhawk game at the moment.  I moved first my Starhawk on to the station on Turn 2.  He then activated his Starhawk, dropped to speed 0, and his magnites reduced my Starhawk to speed 0 too.

On turn 3 I revealed a maneuver dial, turned it in to a token, and stayed in place.  Would I remove a damage card?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Would I remove a damage card?

Yes.

Rules Reference, page 8, Obstacles: When a ship or squadron overlaps an obstacle after executing a maneuver, it resolves an effect that depends on the type of obstacle it overlapped

and

Rules Reference, page 11, Ship Movement: If a ship executes a speed-0 maneuver, it does not move from its current position, but it is still considered to have executed a maneuver.

So being at speed 0 and going through the "execute maneuver" part of a ship activation is still executing a maneuver, and still involves overlapping the obstacle, so still resolves the effect.

It is probably covered explicitly by this rule:

Rules Reference, page 8, Overlapping: If a moving ship or squadron overlaps an obstacle token, it resolves an effect depending on the specific type of obstacle token that it overlapped...

Even if a ship does not change its position as a result of being at speed “0,” it has still executed a maneuver and resolves any effects of overlapping obstacles and/or another ship.

The rules are a very, very tiny bit unclear as "overlap" isn't defined for obstacles in the rules, but that's when we just default to normal English meanings. [As Karneck points out below, obstacles are the one thing for which overlapping is defined. My bad.]

Edited by Grumbleduke

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

The rules are a very, very tiny bit unclear as "overlap" isn't defined for obstacles in the rules, but that's when we just default to normal English meanings.

Point of order, is that "overlap" is defined by the rulebook as to what it means. What do you think is missing?

Per FAQ on Navigational Hazards
"A ship or squadron only resolves an obstacle’s effect when it overlaps that obstacle after moving."

As mentioned, a ship conducting a speed 0 maneuver is still in effect "moving" its just moving at speed 0. And thus, would still resolve any overlap effects.

As for squadrons, as long as the squadron is not engaged (or is somehow otherwise able to move) it needs to physically be moved. Even if that movement is as simple as picking it up, and putting it right back down in the same spot.

As another note. Understand that "Placement" as defined by RRG, is NOT "movement" as defined in RRG. Meaning squadrons "placed" in deployment or "placed" when overlapped by a ship or something else, IS NOT movement and does NOT resolve "overlap" as defined by RRG.

Edited by Karneck

2 hours ago, Karneck said:

Point of order, is that "overlap" is defined by the rulebook as to what it means. What do you think is missing?

My mistake; it is defined for overlapping obstacles - just under "obstacles" not "overlapping". It's for overlapping everything else (ships, squadrons and the maneuver tool) that it isn't defined in the rules.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:16 PM, EagleScoutof007 said:

I just got an idea with Rakehell title on the OSD and an Interdictor with a station and Romodi...

Just remember that "If the defender’s speed is “0,” it cannot spend defense tokens."

16 hours ago, Benimus said:

Just remember that "If the defender’s speed is “0,” it cannot spend defense tokens."

Yes, and the Starhawk Concord title does allows the "spending" of "1" defense token.