Piratical Moustache

Ignition Ship Predictions

The only Ignition predictions that I have heard so far is that the Subjugator heavy cruiser will have it to represent the giant ion pulse cannons, but I think that there is more Ignition possibilities like the Munificent frigate. 

340?cb=20081102181038

The reason Munificents could take on Star Destroyers like the Venator was because of those very large twin turbolaser cannons, which are bigger than even the ISD's main guns. It shouldn't be as big of a dice pool as the Onager, but Ignition doesn't have to be limited to superweapons and it would make the Munificent more interesting than just a heavy front arc. 

Do you want to see more Ignition ships, and what ships do you think might have the ability? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

The only Ignition predictions that I have heard so far is that the Subjugator heavy cruiser will have it to represent the giant ion pulse cannons, but I think that there is more Ignition possibilities like the Munificent frigate. 

340?cb=20081102181038

The reason Munificents could take on Star Destroyers like the Venator was because of those very large twin turbolaser cannons, which are bigger than even the ISD's main guns. It shouldn't be as big of a dice pool as the Onager, but Ignition doesn't have to be limited to superweapons and it would make the Munificent more interesting than just a heavy front arc. 

Do you want to see more Ignition ships, and what ships do you think might have the ability? 

Hm. I hadn’t considered a ship with a small ignition shot. Something with 3-4 dice. It’s an interesting thought.

I don’t think the munificent will get an ignition arc though. Those cannons were still similar range and scale as other ship to ship weapons I thought

Edited by Church14

I think one ship is enough.

However, ignition attacks is something that could be used to make a faction quite different. If several ships of one faction have ignition firing arcs the faction definitely would have its own play-style. It doesn't have to be OP as long as the pools are small as ignition attacks have their own disadvantage not been optional.

Considering the consensus around a droid theme is the lack of improvisation it would work to give separatist its own play-style within a theme.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alzer said:

Munificent is the only one I can think of. But I'm not great with CW ships 

Recuscant light destroyers also have oversized forward guns.

340?cb=20080120161300

Ignition could be a somewhat common feature for the CIS, balanced by the cheap construction giving the ships incredibly low hull points. I could argue that a medium ship like the Munificent should have 5-6 hull points, because it is said that much of the ship is only held together by tensor fields and inertial compensator making it almost entirely reliant on the shields holding.

I also think that the Munificent and Recuscant could be broadside ships that use small Ignition attacks as they close in, possibly not having a normal front arc.

Edited by Piratical Moustache
Added more speculation.

31 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

However, ignition attacks is something that could be used to make a faction quite different. If several ships of one faction have ignition firing arcs the faction definitely would have its own play-style. It doesn't have to be OP as long as the pools are small as ignition attacks have their own disadvantage not been optional.

Considering the consensus around a droid theme is the lack of improvisation it would work to give separatist its own play-style within a theme.

If the Onager ended up being the only Ignition ship in Armada I guess I would be alright with it, but I hope that won't be the case. It very quickly became my favorite ship based on the playstyle alone, it's merely a bonus that the Onager has a cool design.

I get more of a feel that Ignition weapons are actual superweapons, not just "Extra big turbolasers". So I'm not sure that other ships would get in on that qualifier.

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

I'd be interested to see more ignition.  Just needs to fit the faction for having them be present.  Mandator-Class if we ever get First Order could be a Huge with an ignition?

44 minutes ago, Alzer said:

I'd be interested to see more ignition.  Just needs to fit the faction for having them be present.  Mandator-Class if we ever get First Order could be a Huge with an ignition?

The Mandator IV would absolutely be an Ignition ship, possibly scaled down to be a Large ship. Unless the Canon is updated by FFG however the Mandator IV would only have Ignition and flak dice since it doesn't have any turbolasers, ion cannons, or ordinance. They would have to retcon capital ship weaponry onto it like the Interdictor or give it multiple Ignition arcs to compensate.

Posted (edited)

Along with the penalty of spending the attackers defence tokens to simulate the “leak back” of power onto the attacker when using this Subjugator super weapon lol. 

Edited by Herr Style
Can’t read!

17 minutes ago, Formynder4 said:

Let's call in our experts and find out. @Alzer

That is indeed a height joke @Formynder4. Specifically a "tall person" joke. This is generally considered complimentary due to our societal bias towards physical attributes which were advantageous in prehistoric times.

Your shins will be mine one day.

I dod remember the  name of the ship. Malevolence from the earlier eps of Clone Wars. If anything should have an ignition arc it's that.

I'd say there may be an issue getting enough suport for a model since it is to my recollection a unique ship. Then again we also have Interdictor and at the time there was only one of those in canon so...eh?

14 hours ago, Alzer said:

That is indeed a height joke @Formynder4. Specifically a "tall person" joke. This is generally considered complimentary due to our societal bias towards physical attributes which were advantageous in prehistoric times.

Your shins will be mine one day.

I dod remember the  name of the ship. Malevolence from the earlier eps of Clone Wars. If anything should have an ignition arc it's that.

I'd say there may be an issue getting enough suport for a model since it is to my recollection a unique ship. Then again we also have Interdictor and at the time there was only one of those in canon so...eh?

Yub yub, @Alzer

17 hours ago, shark1j said:

Is this ship confirmed? 

Not confirmed but it's pretty much the most iconic CIS ship so it'd be silly to assume that it won't be in the game.