Gunner070

Soundtrack while playing

Hi everyone,

I normally have an audiobook or regular playlist on while playing. Today, I started putting together a YT playlist for the game. The tone I'm going for is horror but higher tempo, a kinda Action/Horror playlist. Right now, all I have is music from Darkest Dungeon, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Here's the link for those who want to the playlist... 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFZdDanss8EbwbcN5qDzLnSS3HJ8o5zT2

Posted (edited)

Hi, I actually had a pretty long post about music for Arkham Horror a while back on the subreddit, a link to my post can be found here. Some of the links are broken at this point, though.

Many of the suggestions I have for Arkham Horror music tend towards the slow and atmospheric - however, for more action-oriented suggestions, I can recommend the tracks One Above All, Black Blade and Power of Darkness by Two Steps From Heck (among many others); various parts of The Expanse soundtrack (such as Heat Her Up); Against The Tide and various other tracks by Celldweller; and above all the combat music from the Secret World soundtrack - full playlist with a choice track selected here, but there's other non-Combat tracks that could also work well such as Reap The Whirlwind.

Of course, if you're also interested in more ambient music, there's loads of possible suggestions.

And conversely, if you're happy to have actual metal, electronica or jazz in your playlist, there's lots of possibilities there as well.

Finally, a playlist with Darkest Dungeon music that doesn't include Town In Chaos? Inconcievable! The bells at the very beginning might not be the best fit but they'd be perfect for Undimensioned and Unseen...

Edited by Allonym
the language filter doesn't like the band name

Posted (edited)

The original Red Faction OST is really good.  Electronic, but high-tempo and moody/tense.  (It was a clone (that I really liked) of Half-Life.)

I really like the soundtracks of both Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.  Again, electronic w/ high-tempo & tension.

I also throw on Homeworld: Sands of Kahrak.  It's 3 hours and delightful.

For more a classical feel, I adore Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.  (At it's best in Guardians of the Abyss (it was inspired by 1001 Tales of Arabian Nights).)

Among my favorite pieces of all time is J.S. Bach's Toccata Y Fugue.  My preferred version is by Canadian Brass, but it's probably more on-brand when done on an organ.  It's downfall is that it's less than 15 minutes.  At least Scheherazade is usually 45min+.

I cannot, in good faith, pass up the opportunity to plug my favorite album of the 90s: David Arkenstone's In the Wake of the Wind.  The single best New Age album I have ever heard.  (I'm generally unimpressed by New Age music.)

Edited by Duciris

55 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Finally, a playlist with Darkest Dungeon music that doesn't include Town In Chaos? Inconcievable! The bells at the very beginning might not be the best fit but they'd be perfect for Undimensioned and Unseen...

LOL, yeah. I wanted to see if I could fine an extended version but got pulled away at the time.

I would recommend trying a bit or 'Dark Jazz'...which is a genre I think. Try Bohren & der Club of Gore depending on scenario it can fit quite well (e.g. exploring the Clover Club). Dark Ambient is also a thing that can fit well. You could put together a good classical playlist together, Scheherazade as mentioned above...I would also recommend Isle of the Dead by Rachmaninov and Night on a Bare Mountain by Mussorgsky...and of course Orff's O Fortuna. Holst's Planet Suite has a bit more of an ambient vibe in the most part if you don't want the music to dominate too much but still have that otherworldly feel.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Dr Dee said:

I would recommend trying a bit or 'Dark Jazz'...which is a genre I think. Try Bohren & der Club of Gore depending on scenario it can fit quite well (e.g. exploring the Clover Club). Dark Ambient is also a thing that can fit well. You could put together a good classical playlist together, Scheherazade as mentioned above...I would also recommend Isle of the Dead by Rachmaninov and Night on a Bare Mountain by Mussorgsky...and of course Orff's O Fortuna. Holst's Planet Suite has a bit more of an ambient vibe in the most part if you don't want the music to dominate too much but still have that otherworldly feel.

Oo, yeah.  Melody Gardot has a really cool sound.  She was in a car accident and can't do loud sounds or bright lights anymore.  She found music as a cooping device and has some great, thematic stuff.  The whole "My One and Only Thrill" album is great, with a special callout to Your Heart is as Black as Night.

I've definitely listened to her while playing.

Edited by Duciris

On 6/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Dr Dee said:

I would recommend trying a bit or 'Dark Jazz'...which is a genre I think. Try Bohren & der Club of Gore depending on scenario it can fit quite well (e.g. exploring the Clover Club). 

Wow, thank you for this!  These guys are just what I was looking for, not so much for Arkham as for background while I'm working.  Very Twin Peaks-like.

15 hours ago, rsdockery said:

For Dream-Eaters 1B, I presume?

Actually, I don't know, I was referring to in general. I've been waiting on the last pack to play Dream-Eaters. Now, I've only been playing for a couple months now so the other cycles have been enough to keep me busy.