Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Calkins

Most Thematic Commander, Squadron, or Unique Upgade

Posted (edited)
Time for a different, fun, and hopefully more positive topic.  We may have already threaded this before (and if we have, it's been a hot minute since we did it last), but in your opinion, what is the most thematic Commander, Squadron, or Unique upgrade in Armada and why?

5RQORql.png

I'll go with the Darth Vader Officer upgrade.  To me, nothing is more thematic than Vader choking out his own officers (particularly in The Empire Strikes Back) to improve the Imperial Navy.  Just love it.

Honorable Mention:  Admiral Konstantine.  I am currently a little more than halfway through Rebels; he is worthless in that series and he is worthless in Armada.  Well done, FFG.

Edit: Just watched the episode with the Battle of Atollon… Admiral Konstatine was worthless to the very end.
Edited by Admiral Calkins
Konstantine Update

Posted (edited)

The Darth Vader Officer card was an excellent choice for a thematic representation of a character from Star Wars.

Therefore, I'll choose Moff Jerjerrod:

latest?cb=20160813131002

Jerry's ability to push ships beyond their limits at the cost of damage (or crew casualties, realistically) is perfectly thematic based on his conversation with Darth Vader at the beginning of Return of the Jedi. And if I recall correctly, that scene was Jerjerrod's only dialogue scene and therefore defined his character. So Jerry's Commander ability is so fitting.

Perhaps the only way Jerjerrod's ability could've been more thematic is if it related to the Repair command instead of Navigate, because he was overseeing the construction of the Death Star II, not commanding a ship or fleet. But it seems counter-intuitive for Jerry to boost ships' Repair ability (presumably by increasing their Engineering points) while suffering damage at the same time. The only thing I can think of is by sacrificing an Officer, Weapons Team, or Support Team upgrade (because they're personnel, not equipment) and converting that card's points into Engineering points that can be used to restore shields and discard damage cards. But an ability like would've had limited usage and very limited appeal to Imperial players.

Also, Jerjerrod's ability was intended to enhance the maneuverability of all Imperial ships, which was a welcome improvement to the Empire faction. It helped the Arquitens itself, the Victory Star Destroyer most of all, and is the most commonly used Commander for the Super Star Destroyer.

So I think the FFG definitely made the best choice for Moff Jerjerrod's ability, which was thematic for his character.

Edited by Reavern

The least thematic character has to be Tarkin.

grand-moff-tarkin.png

Free command tokens doesn't remind me of his arrogance in Episode IV, or his belief that fear will keep systems from rebelling. His ability should have enabled an extremely aggressive playstyle at the cost of increased vulnerability. Something like converting shield points to dice or more dice like Ackbar but starfighters are more dangerous to him.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:42 AM, Piratical Moustache said:

The least thematic character has to be Tarkin.

grand-moff-tarkin.png

Free command tokens doesn't remind me of his arrogance in Episode IV, or his belief that fear will keep systems from rebelling. His ability should have enabled an extremely aggressive playstyle at the cost of increased vulnerability. Something like converting shield points to dice or more dice like Ackbar but starfighters are more dangerous to him.

Why would a character whose defining characteristic was “fear of force over force itself” add dice or offense? It would be more thematic to have given him some sort of ability where Any enemy ship that hasn’t been shot at has a fear token and their attacks are obstructed. As soon as they are shot at they lost that fear. 

As it is, Tarkin is plenty thematic. He was a Grand Moff, which meant he was responsible for making entire sectors run more smoothly and effectively. Giving all his ships command tokens seems appropriate 

3 hours ago, Church14 said:

Why would a character whose defining characteristic was “fear of force over force itself” add dice or offense? It would be more thematic to have given him some sort of ability where Any enemy ship that hasn’t been shot at has a fear token and their attacks are obstructed. As soon as they are shot at they lost that fear. 

As it is, Tarkin is plenty thematic. He was a Grand Moff, which meant he was responsible for making entire sectors run more smoothly and effectively. Giving all his ships command tokens seems appropriate 

Going by the movies he used force repeatedly instead of using fear as leverage. I'm willing to bet Alderaan would have capitulated without the Death Star firing a shot if Tarkin had announced the capabilities of the battlestation and his demands, but he chose the most aggressive action. Prior to that he fired the Death Star twice which in the case of Scarif was a massive friendly fire incident. Tarkin may have been be outwardly calm but he might have been as much of a psychopath as the Emperor.

I view Tarkin's ability as pertaining to his skill as an administrator and organizer.  He's able to ensure mass movements of force at specific times, not unlike Thrawn, but does it on a constant, Strategic scale.

I find Kallus to be teriffically fluffy as he specializes in hunting down individuals.

Posted (edited)

While I like Vader officer, the effect doesn't feel right. I don't recall Vader chocking anyone due to lack of precision.

At first glance Ozzel officer match everything I think is needed in this kind of competition.

1. It has got a thematic effect: Ozzel is mainly known for getting out of hyperspace too close to the enemy.

2. It has got a thematic mechanic: he immediately dies after doing his thing.

3. It reflects a really iconic event in the films.

Most other cards fail in at least one of these.

IO+Ozzel.jpg

EDIT: For some reason I thought it was a discard card. Not a big deal. He just stay around to be choked by officer Vader. XD

Edited by ovinomanc3r

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

Going by the movies he used force repeatedly instead of using fear as leverage. I'm willing to bet Alderaan would have capitulated without the Death Star firing a shot if Tarkin had announced the capabilities of the battlestation and his demands, but he chose the most aggressive action. Prior to that he fired the Death Star twice which in the case of Scarif was a massive friendly fire incident. Tarkin may have been be outwardly calm but he might have been as much of a psychopath as the Emperor.

The point wasn't to make Alderaan capitulate; it was an illict thorn in the Empire's side rather than an overt one.

By destroying it, Tarkin makes it clear the Death Star is fully operational (Scarif and Jedha were small-scale tests), that he is willing to use it, and that he won't face consequences for doing so.

The fear aspect is with regard to the rest of the galaxy.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

2 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The point wasn't to make Alderaan capitulate; it was an illict thorn in the Empire's side rather than an overt one.

By destroying it, Tarkin makes it clear the Death Star is fully operational (Scarif and Jedha were small-scale tests), that he is willing to use it, and that he won't face consequences for doing so.

The fear aspect is for the rest of the galaxy.

Yeah, Jedha was a weapon test and I doubt the Empire let the Scarif incident transpire.

Alderaan is the manifesto.

9 hours ago, Alzer said:

I view Tarkin's ability as pertaining to his skill as an administrator and organizer.  He's able to ensure mass movements of force at specific times, not unlike Thrawn, but does it on a constant, Strategic scale.

I find Kallus to be teriffically fluffy as he specializes in hunting down individuals.

Ninja Gozantis! Supplying his fleet!

14 minutes ago, EbonHawk said:

It did rather take me by surprise when I was watching on D+ last month xD

27 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I feel really dumb that I didn’t know this was a thing (and had to look it up)...

If did some editing and you looped the clip you could probably sync Han's awkward neck dodge to "single ladies"

hgZF9Pv.gif

10 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

The fear aspect is with regard to the rest of the galaxy.

It gets even worse by the fact that immediately after they do it, the death star is blown up. So you get all the disadvantages (a reputation and record going alone to the Nazi uniforms you wear) without any of the benefits (actually terrorizing anyone). 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stefan said:

It gets even worse by the fact that immediately after they do it, the death star is blown up. So you get all the disadvantages (a reputation and record going alone to the Nazi uniforms you wear) without any of the benefits (actually terrorizing anyone). 

Not sure about the last part. Sure the DSI is gone but one thing remains: the Empire are willing to wipe out any opposition. Definitely the Battle of Yavin is a loss, but an imperial occupation is good news for any planet where people don’t like the Empire since Alderaan.

At the end, they never needed the Desth Star to almost erradicate entire races from their planets.

Edited by ovinomanc3r

On 6/2/2020 at 7:59 AM, ovinomanc3r said:

While I like Vader officer, the effect doesn't feel right. I don't recall Vader chocking anyone due to lack of precision.

At first glance Ozzel officer match everything I think is needed in this kind of competition.

1. It has got a thematic effect: Ozzel is mainly known for getting out of hyperspace too close to the enemy.

2. It has got a thematic mechanic: he immediately dies after doing his thing.

3. It reflects a really iconic event in the films.

Most other cards fail in at least one of these.

IO+Ozzel.jpg

EDIT: For some reason I thought it was a discard card. Not a big deal. He just stay around to be choked by officer Vader. XD

He pulled off too far away from Hoth, going with safety regulations instead of Vador's aggressive approach, giving time to the Rebel scums to prepare an escape plan. IIRC.

This being said, I have a list I really want to try called "Vador Chockalicious" with Vader, Motti, Needa and Ozzel. (For fun, it's here)