SithLrd88

Damage Deck: Shared or Separate?

So I assume FFG intended both players to be able to share the one included damage deck, which I've always done for my casual games at home. However, I recently acquired a second one through a used starter fleet.

Now that I have a second, is it more fair for each player to have their own deck during a game? Or does it not matter?

Out of curiosity, do official tournaments have a clear rule on the matter?

4 hours ago, Reavern said:

I wonder if FFG will ever release Faction-specific Armada Damage Decks, like they're doing for X-wing?

Might be very well possible, what with there being 4 factions at least in the future. 

The main thing against an idea is that Armada compared to X-Wing and Legion is that there isn't really any buyable accessories that one buys just for looks, like dials, damage decks, bases, movement and range rulers.

But I would buy a Venator themed damage deck in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I actually didn't even care about getting a second deck. I was reinforcing my rebel fleet with a purchase and just happened to get one.

The question remains, for casual players, is it more fair for each side to use their own or do you just share one deck?

It is more fair for each side to have their own deck.  If you are sharing a deck, then the probability of you drawing a specific face-up damage card changes if your opponent draws it; what your opponent draws shouldn't change the chances of you pulling a specific card.  For instance, if you are sharing a deck and the first damage card (face-up or not) your opponent draws is a Structural Damage, then there are only seven left in the deck and the card he pulled cannot affect you.  Essentially, what he draws shouldn't affect your deck (and even if you drew it face-down, it can still be affected by Boarding Engineers).