Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

Bell Of Lost Souls with the hot take on the Sequel Era

The source talking about KK stepping down feels like rumor to me because it also mentions that Disney will ignore Star Wars for a bit or reset it. They just announced a new animated series, there was news that Hayden Christensen is on for Kenobi, and Mando S2 isn't going anywhere. I guess you could argue that they are ignoring the film side for a bit and will do new films after they have their new president and that would make some sense. Maybe stepping into a different era (like the High Republic that's being explored in books/comics, or maybe further back or forward from the OT) would give some true freshness to the movies. going forward. Give enough space that outside of some even more convoluted nonsense (accepting that the world between worlds is canon but that hopefully no one else discovers it), that most characters definitely couldn't cross the bridge of time between. I believe Yoda and others of his species are still the longest lived "normal" beings in canon (I'm not counting stuff like the Force Wielders because of the strangeness that goes along with it). Anyway, that's a lot of speculation to say I think this rumor stinks a bit but that I do expect KK to exit.

More on this:

"STAR WARS brought an end to the newest round of films last year with the arrival of the Rise of Skywalker - but now new rumours suggest the brand new trilogy will be used to reboot the franchise, and it may have George Lucas at the helm."

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1316881/star-wars-reboot-sequel-trilogy-rise-of-skywalker-doomcock-george-lucas-director-disney

Yes, please.

A reboot could be cool. This would allow Disney to remake the originals and do different things with them, which feels like the main goal of the sequel trilogy when you look at everything they reuse. It would also remove a lot of the baggage of trying to make sequels to one of the most beloved movie franchises ever. If fans of the original films aren't happy with the reboot stuff that would probably result in less backlash since they are not in the same continuity. It works for comic books, so hopefully they do give that a shot rather than trying to get disgruntled fans to embrace the sequel era stuff. Speaking for myself, that is an uphill battle I just can't see them winning any time soon.

On May 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM, CaptainJaguarShark said:

We already know they're focusing on the High Republic for the novels and comics. What if that basis is there to build towards TV and film as well? I could see them doing that, even if I personally would rather see a film first.

Comics and novels give an opportunity to check things out and test the waters of what the fan base will like for new content before diving into a movie.

also iirc the high republic comics won't follow a single character or even a single band of plucky underdogs but will tell many stories of varied characters, so again they're not committed to one person or group but can look out for a fan favorite and move forward from there

On 7/31/2020 at 6:47 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

A reboot could be cool. This would allow Disney to remake the originals and do different things with them, which feels like the main goal of the sequel trilogy when you look at everything they reuse. It would also remove a lot of the baggage of trying to make sequels to one of the most beloved movie franchises ever. If fans of the original films aren't happy with the reboot stuff that would probably result in less backlash since they are not in the same continuity. It works for comic books, so hopefully they do give that a shot rather than trying to get disgruntled fans to embrace the sequel era stuff. Speaking for myself, that is an uphill battle I just can't see them winning any time soon.

That depends on what sort of rebooting they do? 

14 hours ago, LTuser said:

I like what they are doing in The Mandalorian. Instead of a reboot of the Skywalker Saga, I would prefer the story of other, more ordinary people. No need to focus on the guys who save the galaxy.

PS: wouldn't it be cool if they made a film or series focused on Thrawn and Ezra stranded in the Unknown Regions, with the Grysks on their tails? Some sort of Battlestar Gallactica + Sherlock.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, LTuser said:

The reboot specifically mentioned by Doomcock is the Veil of the Force going back in time to warn Luke not too attempt the halted murder of young Ben, creating a universe where Ben never fell to the dark side, and Starkiller base never destroys the Hosnian system.

Sounds undesirable.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

The reboot specifically mentioned by Doomcock is the Veil of the Force going back in time to warn Luke not too attempt the halted murder of young Ben, creating a universe where Ben never fell to the dark side, and Starkiller base never destroys the Hosnian system.

Sounds undesirable.

Yeah, Palp would stupidly be still alive. A reboot that keeps him dead would be ideal. 

On 8/3/2020 at 5:19 AM, Odanan said:

I like what they are doing in The Mandalorian. Instead of a reboot of the Skywalker Saga, I would prefer the story of other, more ordinary people. No need to focus on the guys who save the galaxy.

PS: wouldn't it be cool if they made a film or series focused on Thrawn and Ezra stranded in the Unknown Regions, with the Grysks on their tails? Some sort of Battlestar Gallactica + Sherlock.

I'd be very in on that PS. Seeing them forced to work together would be very entertaining for one, and fighting their way back to the galactic core. I wonder how much of Thrawn's destroyers actually survived.