Sign in to follow this  
brupl

Thoughts on how to improve the A-wing in 2.0

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

Scum never had a carrier until recently, since the Quadjumper never had the lock action they'd need.  So it's really expensive, and there's historically been no one who could come close to being able to use it.

9 points before squadmates' ordinance is factored in and it paints an even bigger bullseye on a hate magnet turning it from a semi-asset to the list to an Achilles Heel for the list...

Random thought: the A-wing wasn't just an interceptor. The Rebellion also used it as a fast scout, using the craft's very potent sensor system to harvest data on Imperial targets before retreating at high speed. This could be reflected as a configuration with allows the A-wing to perform a Jam action after fully executing a speed four or five maneuver. If you really wanted to be bold, we could even go crazy and allow the A-wing to take a lock action instead.

I would play 5x Snap+Intimidation Greens.  I was very excited for that combo when Snap Shot was announced, but the absurd pricing made it kind of a non-starter.

The fun part about playing the old Green Arrow lists was sneaking in a crucial block and then capitalizing on it, I’ve had success with 2x Intimidation Phoenixes blocking for Wedge and Luke, but I much rather just run a board of A-Wings.

Posted (edited)

Snap Shot up (but without the red highlight, and the price wasn't changed on the app yet...).

Crack Shot up, making two talent slots a lot less strong.

A-Wing prices stable.

Baron of the Empire is now cheaper than a Phoenix RZ-1.  It was already a little insulting that this was 2 points cheaper than a Green at 32, but now it's 4 points cheaper.

About the only thing that got added was 6 Cluster Missile Phoenixes.

A-Wing fans hate to see it.

Edited by theBitterFig

31 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Snap Shot up (but without the red highlight, and the price wasn't changed on the app yet...).

Why? It's probably the only change I knee-jerk disagree with in this update.

Posted (edited)

Snap going up shows such... just a really...

It is hard to say this without feeling I am being hyperbolic but it is a downright disgusting level of disconnect between pricing and what the players want.

I have seen more players express disinterest in the game and falling away from it due to Snap-Shot's comically poor costing than anything else, both in terms of online grumblings and I literally know 2 players who decided to leave X-wing specifically due to how disappointing H&A was. It is an extremely attractive Johnny style card that evokes a lot of feelings and then it being priced so terribly when it is the first card people buy in a set exclusively to get access to it and 3 other cards is extremely disheartening.

I like... actually don't know if I want to keep playing X-wing if this isn't a typo... No one was even using it, it was terrible even on ships that had 'synergy.'

Hopefully the Boba change helps force him more out of the meta, and that 3 cost ions do some serious work, but this kinda just stinks. It isn't even that I wanted to spam A-wings (Rebels seems more fun as a 'kitchen sink' faction anyway), but the desire for them to actually fit their fantasy is so real and there just seems to be a lack of concern about this aspect. I am starting to wonder if I would like X-wing better if it was an unlicensed game.

IRL blue maneuver complete, sorry about the reactionary mess!

Edited by dezzmont

I really like this new card! I think that it eliminates all doubt that there will be an A-Wing in the Phoenix Squadron pack, because they will need a platform to release this for the Rebel A-Wing. 

Posted (edited)

I love this card, because its probably going to be cheap (Its a weird alt intimidate with more downsides) but it fits the fantasy of the A-wing better and forces it to get in lousy positions less often.

Edited by dezzmont

16 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

I love this card, because its probably going to be cheap (Its a weird alt intimidate with more downsides) but it fits the fantasy of the A-wing better and forces it to get in lousy positions less often.

I do and I don't. We'll see if zip through, blast with back arc outmaneuver RZ-2s become an issue.

Starbird Slash is weird on RZ1s: unless you k-turn through a ship, you definitely aren't shooting them this round.  It definitely feels like it was meant for RZ2s, and added to the Rebel counterpart as an afterthought.
Also, it punishes you for landing in their arc, an action that, depending on your initiative, may already be punishment enough.

4 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

Starbird Slash is weird on RZ1s: unless you k-turn through a ship, you definitely aren't shooting them this round.  It definitely feels like it was meant for RZ2s, and added to the Rebel counterpart as an afterthought.
Also, it punishes you for landing in their arc, an action that, depending on your initiative, may already be punishment enough.

Means you can use a couple of Phoenixes set up a focus fire target (two zip throughs = two defense rolls at -1 green). The downside can be mitigated by good choices.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Means you can use a couple of Phoenixes set up a focus fire target (two zip throughs = two defense rolls at -1 green). The downside can be mitigated by good choices.

Stuff like this is really good in objective, scenario and mission play. 

But we are stuck with plain 400/6 deathmatch.

5 minutes ago, svelok said:

if slash doesn't have different pricing for each, if it's cheap enough for RZ1s it's gonna be complete cancer on RZ2s, or if it's priced correctly on RZ2s it's gonna be way too expensive for RZ1s.

Not if there's also a config to allow RZ-1s to rotate their guns in a similar fashion to the RZ-2.  That way Slash could be the same price for both ships. 

It doesn't have to be as good - maybe something like "after you perform a boost action you may perform a red rotate action". 

This way most shots (apart from Jake.....) are unmodded and there's no tokens for defence.

Would make the RZ-1 slightly worse, which it should be in canon, but still gives options. 

4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Exactly this. I love how more and more of the cards (and good ones at that) aren't just "make THIS ship kill things better", but "make your LIST kill things better".

Sacrifice one A-Wing shooting (at that target at least) to let your other ships shoot it better.

Also are we forgetting Initiative orders? What if your A-Wings move through ships first, and then those ships move and ARE in your arc. You got to use this ability and then still ended up with a shot. Love the idea of a few Int 1 As buzzing around for Slashing and blocking with some hard hitters following up.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

I do and I don't. We'll see if zip through, blast with back arc outmaneuver RZ-2s become an issue.

Outmaneuver is front arc attacks only!

Combo with Intimidation? Bump one turn, fly through the next.

If only there was a Rebel A-wing pilot that could bump easily....

Edited by Rossetti1828

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Elbastido said:

Not if there's also a config to allow RZ-1s to rotate their guns in a similar fashion to the RZ-2.  That way Slash could be the same price for both ships. 

I dunno. Rotating guns seems weird and while they certainly rotated a bit the rear fire thing distinguishes the RZ-2.

I would rather the RZ-1 gets good pilots, and maybe a config that helps their offensive consistency in some way (The fact that their sensors are really good so they can get detailed information while boosting about is something I forgot and could justify getting calcs somehow!) so that they aren't just... junk ships would help. The RZ-2 is annoying and kites better, the RZ-1 generally has better mods so when it has uptime its better sorta deal.

40 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

Sacrifice one A-Wing shooting (at that target at least) to let your other ships shoot it better.

I definitely get that feeling. Rebels have some strong ships that would love, in a sense, getting Wedge's ability vs their target. Some might say... Beefy ships.

Running 2-3 A-wings with a cheap upgrade and 2-3 beef ships is very possible, and something that gives the A-wings value even when they don't hit super hard is great and kinda what they need.

36 minutes ago, Rossetti1828 said:

Combo with Intimidation? Bump one turn, fly through the next.

I thought this as well, but that is prooobably like 6 points on the ship and that is too much for this sorta thing. I think it is probably going to be more a 'sidegrade' that moves the risk from bumping and likely being in enemy arcs, to landing in an arc after moving through and still being in an arc, or your opponent dialing a blue to deal with it. It is more control oriented in that it has a stronger effect on enemy ship behavior, because they can't avoid the effect if you are I1 by just planning to move over you. So instead they have to either dial a blue move to avoid the strain, which makes them more predictable, or take it.

Edited by dezzmont