Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

Solo - An Underappreciated Gem

So based on this thread, I watched it again last night and, IMO, it still holds up as a fun and exciting Star Wars movie.  Aside from L3-37, I pretty much enjoyed the whole thing.  But just like the first time I saw it, aside from meeting and interacting with Lando (because Donald Glover did amazing), I didn't particularly care for any of the "Han Solo backstory block checks."  Whether it was meeting Chewie, getting his signature blaster, or even making the Kessel Run (aside from the TIE Fighter chase), most of it didn't really touch or resonate with me.  I felt like it could have been called Crimson Dawn or Crime Syndicate: A Star Wars Story and I would have enjoyed it just as much.  Which makes me disappointed that Solo 2 (insert appropriate Fast & Furious sequel name here) seemed to be cancelled, because now that the backstory checks are out of the way (aside from dropping Jabba's cargo pre-ANH), I really want to see him and Chewie get into some smuggling shenanigans (no rathtars, please).

Edit: And yes, Han shooting Beckett first at the end was awesome.

Edited by Admiral Calkins
Added last line

I loved the Dryden Vos character. Paul Bettany is fantastic, and he channels the high society art collector but also guts regional governors with zero warning.

The cameo in Clone Wars was a treat.

Sucks that the movie got review-bombed by hate campaigns. Some self-styled "fans" are pretty weird.

5 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

Sucks that the movie got review-bombed by hate campaigns. Some self-styled "fans" are pretty weird.

I often remind myself that "fan" is short for "fanatic." It actually kind of fits. For this reason, I've started calling myself a Star Wars "Enthusiast." I like some entries more than others, but in the end, I try to be a champion for it all.