Sign in to follow this  
Emilius

THE FORTRESS OF NURN Player Cards

Since it's just an attachment, not a contract, there's no need for Desparate Alliance.  It will work fine to attach a hero version to a MotK hero, though that will still have the MotK stats, taking some of the lure away from Thorongimli.

It's a shame you can't use multiple contracts, MotK would make the threat requirements for 4-hero much less onerous.

5 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

with all his mighty and sheer knowledge he does not know how to hold a torch propperly?! either this or it has to be a very magic torch

"I don't always hold a torch, but when I do, I burn my fingers."

-Spirit Aragorn

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Ally Beorn plus Beorn sadly won't work....

I'm inclined to agree with you, but are we sure Ally Beorn + Thorongil + Beorn won't work? I can't figure out the nullification loop. 

Does the hero Beorn ability undo MotK when it comes into effect? 

Edited by pmdoug

I'm not sure about Beorn ability vs MotK -- MotK is immune to card effects, after all.  But "cannot" usually trumps all.  However, Thorongil is *not* immune, so certainly would fall off when Beorn is attached, at which point Beorn hero would be removed.

A little late but here are some of my thoughts.

Aragorn - I think he is actually good despite some of the communities disappointment. His threat is high and his ability is exactly mirrored by Argalads, making him less exciting. But he is splashable and I love that. His traits are good too. He is in sphere for silver circlet and unexpected courage, which can make him a questing beast.

Shining Shield - love it. Fits right in my gondor valour deck. Put this and valiant sword on boromir and Imrahil. Also great for gimli and Theoden.

KotE - great in a dunedain deck. People have said the dunedain allies are too expensive; I wager this card will fix that. 

Rohirrim Lancer - 2 willpower for 3 cost on a non-unique? Great, but amazing with Lothiriel. Put Gamling out and do it every round.

Valiant Steed - a little pricy, not too many good targets. Gimli maybe.

Haleth - very good, 2 willpower and some card draw. If you can afford it, play it.

Woodman lore - its ok. Nothing too great.

MM journeyman - hes good. That 1 htp makes me nervous but he is easy to play.

Perilous Journey - so cool. Risky, but the effect is powerful. Love the high risk, high reward feel.

BoF - this contract looks good. I am surprised at how many people think its not that powerful. Hobbits will be best with it, followed by Dwarves. I don't think the limitations are hard to build around at all.

All in all, a good pack. Not quite what I expected for the final, but I think Caleb Grace has done a great job on this cycle/game, and I applaud his hard work.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

I'm not sure about Beorn ability vs MotK -- MotK is immune to card effects, after all.  But "cannot" usually trumps all.  However, Thorongil is *not* immune, so certainly would fall off when Beorn is attached, at which point Beorn hero would be removed.

Ah, ok. Your explanation makes more sense. 

EDIT: removed pointless example

Edited by pmdoug

4 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Just wondering does a MotK Elladan/Elrohir with Thorongil on its hero version gets +4 to Attack/Defense when his twin is in play?

I think they should,  otherwise no hero would actually benefit from thorongil. 

And at the end + 2 attack plus payable readying a ability for 3 resources it's good but not so OP, especially in a world where the combo Stewardof gondor+gondorian fire exists...

Mpre so when it is likely to be a mid game situation as you have to draw thorongil in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Halberto said:

I think they should,  otherwise no hero would actually benefit from thorongil. 

I was just wondering cause this is a case of having twice the exact same game text

33 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

I was just wondering cause this is a case of having twice the exact same game text

I see your point. Hope it works,  otherwise we lose a possibility to increase the play of the twins heroes. 

My initial review on the cards:

A desperate path is very interesting, potentially super powerful or game-ending depending on scenario, and you can’t cancel it. Maybe the best side board card card in the game?

Woodman Lore, how easy is it to get a ton of locations in play and have attachments on them all? At most I can see this readying one or two stronger characters, not the most impressive but it fits their style and with Burglar you’ll always get one ready out of it so costed appropriately.

Knowledge of the Enemy, now this was what Dunedain needed! Great resource acceleration rewarding you for accomplishing the finicky task that engaging a bunch of enemies is.

Shining Shield, amazing, my second favourite card this pack. Simple but stackable with Gondorian Shield on Boromir or other high cost noble Gondorian defenders like Eleanor that will pump them up to +4 cheaply and easily.

Tireless Thoroughbred, another mount is always welcome, and what a great boost for warriors. You have to consider the restricted slot as well but if you are running a tactics hero in an Eagles deck where support of the eagles can be in play this card is a great mini-gwahir hero card.

Thorongil, this is an excellent card and one of the more exciting ones in the pack. There are so many cool options that look like they have been broken down in this thread already. I’m most excited for MOTK Legolas being able to get Tactics Legolas’s ability. The MOTK interactions are great!

Misty Mountain Journeyman, any Dunedain support was direly needed so happy that this helps cover a weak point.

Westfold Lancer, one of the best Rohan allies and very fitting with their new heroes and an always useful effect.

Haleth, she is the ally Lore Anborn equivalent for Woodman decks, with some use outside of them if you are running heavy attachments. Solid stats and MOTK candidate too. The art is a bit weird in my opinion as she looks like she gave herself a self-Quarantine haircut and we have never seen anyone else in LOTR sporting modern hairstyles so why start now? Where are our crew-cut Gondorians? Or Mohawk Dunedain? Just kind of kills the theme a bit for me. But stats/ability she is fine.

Spirit Aragorn, reviewing him here to end on a high note. Honestly disappointed. His ability isn’t bad on a hero, argalad sees some fringe use and this will as well. It’s nice to be able to adjust your questing post staging, and you can use it as really costly location control as well, but it’s not a final Aragorn ability. There is no synergy with Arwen/the elves, or the Dunedain, or Gondor or really anyone. It’s not a very flashy or exciting ability unlike the other Aragorns, it has no synergy with Aragorn having many spheres (which many, myself included were all hoping for) and other than Sword That Was Broken (something out of sphere) it has no synergy with most of the Aragorn-specific attachments. I can get that they were maybe trying to stick with pre War of the Ring Aragorn, but the missed opportunity to ever have King Elessar in the game and unite the spheres while boosting Gondor/Arwen is almost unforgivable. I’m really hoping there is more after the break now to rectify this. 

Also that artwork is atrocious. Not that it was badly done skill-wise, so no discredit to the artist if they were going for this. Also he has shown he can create amazing artwork including solid takes on heroes (Lanwyn, Cirdan) and not so solid art (Spirit Legolas, Radagast). So if the intent was to create an homeless drunk it has succeeded. Creepy unkempt beard, bad sex eyes, quite overweight for being an athletic wingfoot, and doesn’t know how to hold a torch despite supposedly being an experienced scout. If I saw this Aragorn in a cave I would carefully set my bag of gold on the ground and back away slowly. Compare it to literally any of the other Aragorns and even Hercules-build Aragorn from the core set is way more kingly and noble than this cave dweller. I would vote this as being the worst art in the game and if I get around to overcoming my disappointment with this Aragorn I’ll definitely be using an Alt-Art. It doesn’t help that there is no Anduril guarded attachment either. My wife has loved playing with all the Aragorn’s before and is outright disappointed that this is the latest and potentially final iteration. Alright rant over and moving on. 

Bond of Friendship, now this card is exciting. Many decks are already tri-sphere, Hobbits, Rohan, Silvan, Gondor to make a few so being able to add a fourth hero in exchange for some deck-building restrictions is an amazing deal. Absolutely love the possibilities with this card, and while it may feel geared towards hobbits and low threat heroes I’m much more interested in taking it into the 40s and starting out with 4 powerful characters ready to crush the forces of Sauron. Bring on the valour abilities and easily my second favourite contract behind three hunters.

Overall player cards 7/10

Hero 2/10 

3 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

My initial review on the cards:

A desperate path is very interesting, potentially super powerful or game-ending depending on scenario, and you can’t cancel it. Maybe the best side board card card in the game?

Woodman Lore, how easy is it to get a ton of locations in play and have attachments on them all? At most I can see this readying one or two stronger characters, not the most impressive but it fits their style and with Burglar you’ll always get one ready out of it so costed appropriately.

Knowledge of the Enemy, now this was what Dunedain needed! Great resource acceleration rewarding you for accomplishing the finicky task that engaging a bunch of enemies is.

Shining Shield, amazing, my second favourite card this pack. Simple but stackable with Gondorian Shield on Boromir or other high cost noble Gondorian defenders like Eleanor that will pump them up to +4 cheaply and easily.

Tireless Thoroughbred, another mount is always welcome, and what a great boost for warriors. You have to consider the restricted slot as well but if you are running a tactics hero in an Eagles deck where support of the eagles can be in play this card is a great mini-gwahir hero card.

Thorongil, this is an excellent card and one of the more exciting ones in the pack. There are so many cool options that look like they have been broken down in this thread already. I’m most excited for MOTK Legolas being able to get Tactics Legolas’s ability. The MOTK interactions are great!

Misty Mountain Journeyman, any Dunedain support was direly needed so happy that this helps cover a weak point.

Westfold Lancer, one of the best Rohan allies and very fitting with their new heroes and an always useful effect.

Haleth, she is the ally Lore Anborn equivalent for Woodman decks, with some use outside of them if you are running heavy attachments. Solid stats and MOTK candidate too. The art is a bit weird in my opinion as she looks like she gave herself a self-Quarantine haircut and we have never seen anyone else in LOTR sporting modern hairstyles so why start now? Where are our crew-cut Gondorians? Or Mohawk Dunedain? Just kind of kills the theme a bit for me. But stats/ability she is fine.

Spirit Aragorn, reviewing him here to end on a high note. Honestly disappointed. His ability isn’t bad on a hero, argalad sees some fringe use and this will as well. It’s nice to be able to adjust your questing post staging, and you can use it as really costly location control as well, but it’s not a final Aragorn ability. There is no synergy with Arwen/the elves, or the Dunedain, or Gondor or really anyone. It’s not a very flashy or exciting ability unlike the other Aragorns, it has no synergy with Aragorn having many spheres (which many, myself included were all hoping for) and other than Sword That Was Broken (something out of sphere) it has no synergy with most of the Aragorn-specific attachments. I can get that they were maybe trying to stick with pre War of the Ring Aragorn, but the missed opportunity to ever have King Elessar in the game and unite the spheres while boosting Gondor/Arwen is almost unforgivable. I’m really hoping there is more after the break now to rectify this. 

Also that artwork is atrocious. Not that it was badly done skill-wise, so no discredit to the artist if they were going for this. Also he has shown he can create amazing artwork including solid takes on heroes (Lanwyn, Cirdan) and not so solid art (Spirit Legolas, Radagast). So if the intent was to create an homeless drunk it has succeeded. Creepy unkempt beard, bad sex eyes, quite overweight for being an athletic wingfoot, and doesn’t know how to hold a torch despite supposedly being an experienced scout. If I saw this Aragorn in a cave I would carefully set my bag of gold on the ground and back away slowly. Compare it to literally any of the other Aragorns and even Hercules-build Aragorn from the core set is way more kingly and noble than this cave dweller. I would vote this as being the worst art in the game and if I get around to overcoming my disappointment with this Aragorn I’ll definitely be using an Alt-Art. It doesn’t help that there is no Anduril guarded attachment either. My wife has loved playing with all the Aragorn’s before and is outright disappointed that this is the latest and potentially final iteration. Alright rant over and moving on. 

Bond of Friendship, now this card is exciting. Many decks are already tri-sphere, Hobbits, Rohan, Silvan, Gondor to make a few so being able to add a fourth hero in exchange for some deck-building restrictions is an amazing deal. Absolutely love the possibilities with this card, and while it may feel geared towards hobbits and low threat heroes I’m much more interested in taking it into the 40s and starting out with 4 powerful characters ready to crush the forces of Sauron. Bring on the valour abilities and easily my second favourite contract behind three hunters.

Overall player cards 7/10

Hero 2/10 

2 things.

1st is Haleth, you really nailed what I was feeling when I saw this art. I first thought it was a monk looking dude, but upon closer inspection it appears to be a woman. I really dislike that haircut too. Very not fitting in the theme of lotr lcg.

Secondly, Aragorns art. I too was a little shocked at the poor art. But looking at the artist I was even more surprised. Alexander Karez is currently (since Magali left) my favorite artist for this game. He has done some great pieces including Hirgon and Thalion. I was just so surprised.

Posted (edited)

I just thought of a great use for Sp Aragorn. He would be great in a grey wanderer deck, having strider lets him quest for 4 and use his ability should a location come up. If its enemies, just keep him up for that 3 att or sentinel for someone. 

In solo if you have a few locations come up in the 1st couple rounds he will be able to contribute a lot to the quest and failing will be unlikely.

Edited by MikeGracey
Typo

1 hour ago, MikeGracey said:

I just thought of a great use for Sp Aragorn. He would be great in a grey wanderer deck, having strider lets him quest for 4 and use his ability should a location come up. If its enemies, just keep him up for that 3 att or sentinel for someone. 

In solo if you have a few locations come up in the 1st couple rounds he will be able to contribute a lot to the quest and failing will be unlikely.

For sure cave creeper Aragorn would work there. I’ve been using Argalad as a wanderer and it has been pretty solid, almost as good as Haldir who I think is the best one. 

I guess a good target for the Thoroughbred would be Na'asiyah. Or more in general in a Fellowship any hero without those Keywords relying heavily on Blood of Numenor/Gondorian Fire (let's say TaBoromir)