Sign in to follow this  
Reavern

GenCon 2020 Cancelled -- When will Clone Wars Armada be revealed now?

Posted (edited)

It was announced today that GenCon 2020 has been cancelled. Here's an excerpt of the official announcement from the GenCon website:

To Our Gen Con Community:

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the cancellation of Gen Con 2020 this August in Indianapolis. The safety and health of our attendees, exhibitors, and staff are of the utmost importance to us, and we cannot in good conscience host a gathering of thousands while doing so could threaten the health of so many.

As some of us predicted, the annual event and venue when and where FFG traditionally reveals their new products, i.e. Star Wars Armada, has been cancelled this year. 

The relevant question is: When will FFG reveal Clone Wars Armada now that GenCon 2020 has been officially cancelled?

Edited by Reavern

16 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

There's still Star Wars Celebration late August, or they may do what they did for Adepticon; just hold a live-stream announcement at the relevant time.

Kinda what I hope they do.

20 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

There's still Star Wars Celebration late August, or they may do what they did for Adepticon; just hold a live-stream announcement at the relevant time.

I have tickets but I'm not holding out hope. I expect it to be canceled, too, in the coming weeks.

A plan is in motion, unfortunately Senitor Jarjar released some sensitive information to the eu asmodee recently. However the senate’s plans are still in motion.

meanwhile conjecture and rumour spring eternal.

3 hours ago, Reavern said:

It was announced today that GenCon 2020 has been cancelled. Here's an excerpt of the official announcement from the GenCon website:

As some of us predicted, the annual event and venue when and where FFG traditionally reveals their new products, i.e. Star Wars Armada, has been cancelled this year. 

The relevant question is: When will FFG reveal Clone Wars Armada now that GenCon 2020 has been officially cancelled?

At world's next year

8 minutes ago, Flengin said:

At world's next year

Funny, that was my sarcastic point that I made in another thread.

Basically, everyone was saying that FFG won't reveal Clone Wars Armada until GenCon 2020 because they'll get maximum exposure in the world of board games. I said that if GenCon was cancelled this year (which I correctly predicted), and it's true that GenCon is such a big deal, then logically FFG should withhold the Clone Wars Armada reveal until GenCon 2021.

Now FFG is in the exact position: GenCon 2020 is cancelled and they no longer have an international event that can reveal Clone Wars Armada at, which means they now need to make other arrangements.

I fail to see the point in waiting.

I mean, I'm not saying that FFG should react hastily and reveal CWA tomorrow. But they shouldn't wait until some arbitrary week in August just because that's when GenCon was originally scheduled. FFG should get to work on producing some sort of major Livestream event to reveal Clone Wars, and do it sooner rather than later, like June.

June should be big for FFG because that's when many of the delayed Legion and X-Wing expansions are re-scheduled for release. FFG will hopefully be hosting previews and livestream play-thrus for the new expansions, like they've done in the past. That will draw players' attention back to FFG's Star Wars games. So after the Legion and X-Wing expansions are released on or around June 5th, the next week or two would be the perfect time for FFG to have a Clone Wars Armada reveal livestream.

Conversely, if the Armada expansions are still on schedule or that schedule has slipped, there's a case to be made that they should hold the announcement. Spoilers too early will have their hype die off before the actual release happens. Irritating for us in the short term, better for everyone in the long term.

1 hour ago, Reavern said:

Funny, that was my sarcastic point that I made in another thread.

Basically, everyone was saying that FFG won't reveal Clone Wars Armada until GenCon 2020 because they'll get maximum exposure in the world of board games. I said that if GenCon was cancelled this year (which I correctly predicted), and it's true that GenCon is such a big deal, then logically FFG should withhold the Clone Wars Armada reveal until GenCon 2021.

Now FFG is in the exact position: GenCon 2020 is cancelled and they no longer have an international event that can reveal Clone Wars Armada at, which means they now need to make other arrangements.

I fail to see the point in waiting.

I mean, I'm not saying that FFG should react hastily and reveal CWA tomorrow. But they shouldn't wait until some arbitrary week in August just because that's when GenCon was originally scheduled. FFG should get to work on producing some sort of major Livestream event to reveal Clone Wars, and do it sooner rather than later, like June.

June should be big for FFG because that's when many of the delayed Legion and X-Wing expansions are re-scheduled for release. FFG will hopefully be hosting previews and livestream play-thrus for the new expansions, like they've done in the past. That will draw players' attention back to FFG's Star Wars games. So after the Legion and X-Wing expansions are released on or around June 5th, the next week or two would be the perfect time for FFG to have a Clone Wars Armada reveal livestream.

they're having virtual GenCon with presentations and all. Why should they move it into June, if they want to use that to advertise Legion/X-wing? I mean, if we're just asking for stuff, then I want them to give my blog a shoutout and some free Clone Wars stuff too.  Now how do i tag the FFG employees I know to get them to hear me.....

2 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Conversely, if the Armada expansions are still on schedule or that schedule has slipped, there's a case to be made that they should hold the announcement. Spoilers too early will have their hype die off before the actual release happens. Irritating for us in the short term, better for everyone in the long term.

FFG announced Clone Wars Armada over a year ago. I'm talking about a reveal of Clone Wars Armada, which FFG was presumably planning for GenCon 2020, because they reveal new products at GenCon every year.

Hype is a tool used to trick gullible fools with poor self-control. You're advocating for exploitative marketing techniques designed to extract money from the most susceptible consumers. How noble. 🙄

Whereas I'm asking FFG to provide valuable and much requested information about Clone Wars Armada so we can make an informed decision about pre-ordering.

I know... I'm a monster😈

Speaking for myself, the longer I have to wait for a new release, the more likely I am to spend money on it. For example, when the Phase II Clone Trooper and B2 Battle Droid unit expansions were announced, I pre-ordered one of each, like I always do. A month or two later, I had more disposable income to spend, so I bought more. I ended up with 5 B2s and 3 Phase IIs, as well as pre-ordered the AAT.

The more advanced notice Armada players are given, the longer we have to save up their money, and the more money we'll have to spend on Clone Wars expansions. This is also consumer-friendly because it fosters responsible spending habits instead of exploiting hype to trigger impulse purchases.

7 minutes ago, Reavern said:

Speaking for myself

That may very well be the case for you, but there's a lot of money spent analyzing marketing efforts, and generally speaking its been shown to be more effective to have a rhythm to press releases and the corresponding product launch. Start the PR campaign too early and the excitement wanes and people spend their money elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Formynder4 said:

That may very well be the case for you, but there's a lot of money spent analyzing marketing efforts, and generally speaking its been shown to be more effective to have a rhythm to press releases and the corresponding product launch. Start the PR campaign too early and the excitement wanes and people spend their money elsewhere.

I think you meant "there's a lot of money wasted on analyzing marketing efforts."

I often have to deal with the Mac Pro-using marketing haircuts, and IME, a coin flip is a better predictor of whether all of their forecast models, consumer trends analysis, and marketing campaigns "under-perform" or yield profits.

And... all of their projections and statistics have been blown up by the pandemic. All of those ads on billboards, transit displays, and radio commercials haven't been very effective the last couple of months, have they? I don't know about the rest of you, but I skip through the ads on TV and YouTube. I have an AdBlocker on my internet browser. And I embargo "Sponsored Content" purely out of spite.

But hey, maybe that's just me😎

This year, of all years, the idea that FFG should stick to the same ol' game plan and reveal new products during "GenCon" is ridiculous to me.

Innovators start trends; they don't follow them.

5 minutes ago, Reavern said:

I think you meant "there's a lot of money wasted on analyzing marketing efforts."

I often have to deal with the Mac Pro-using marketing haircuts, and IME, a coin flip is a better predictor of whether all of their forecast models, consumer trends analysis, and marketing campaigns "under-perform" or yield profits.

And... all of their projections and statistics have been blown up by the pandemic. All of those ads on billboards, transit displays, and radio commercials haven't been very effective the last couple of months, have they? I don't know about the rest of you, but I skip through the ads on TV and YouTube. I have an AdBlocker on my internet browser. And I embargo "Sponsored Content" purely out of spite.

But hey, maybe that's just me😎

This year, of all years, the idea that FFG should stick to the same ol' game plan and reveal new products during "GenCon" is ridiculous to me.

Innovators start trends; they don't follow them.

so your plan, just making sure i understand this, is that instead of talking to a bunch of reporters and distributors during virtual GenCon, they should just release it when no one is watching them, and then advertise it SOMEHOW even though you ignore all ads and actively ignore companies that advertise to you?

35 minutes ago, geek19 said:

so your plan, just making sure i understand this, is that instead of talking to a bunch of reporters and distributors during virtual GenCon, they should just release it when no one is watching them, and then advertise it SOMEHOW even though you ignore all ads and actively ignore companies that advertise to you?

Sadly enough, so many FFG announcements seem to come like this.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, geek19 said:

Pay attention, because this might be very difficult for you to follow:

1. In June, FFG should reveal Clone Wars Armada in a livestream to whoever is paying attention; namely, US, the Armada community; the people most likely to purchase the Clone Wars expansions.
  2. In August, whatever FFG normally does at GenCon, or whatever alternative they do at this year's "Virtual GenCon", i.e. talking to interviewers and distributors, presumably via Skype or Zoom or whatever, as well as hosting online panel discussions and Q&A sessions; FFG should DO THAT.
  3. In Q4, FFG releases Clone Wars Armada, as scheduled.
  4. Profit!

Understand? 🤨

Because I don't understand why anyone believes that if FFG reveals Clone Wars Armada before GenCon, they somehow won't have anything to show at GenCon.

They can show the exact same Clone Wars products at GenCon as they reveal earlier. Why wouldn't they?

In fact, FFG has always shown products, which they've previously revealed, at GenCons all the time. Look at this article about GenCon 2019.

Here's a pic of the newly revealed Imperial Bunker alongside a dozen or so previously released Imperial units:

FFG-booth-gencon2019-8.jpg

Clone Wars Legion had been publicly revealed back in March 28, 2019, as seen in this article.

Here's a pic of the Clone Wars Legion display at GenCon 2019:

FFG-booth-gencon2019-7.jpg

People had already seen Clone Wars Legion, but it still made news at GenCon 2019 -- inconceivable! 😆

And just to prove that this phenomenon wasn't exclusive to Legion, here's a pic of FFG's Armada display. That's a SSD, which had been revealed at GenCon 2018, but hadn't been released yet, alongside a Victory Star Destroy and Imperial Star Destroyer, which were released all the way back in 2015:

image.jpg

Do you get it now?

GenCon-exclusive product reveals don't matter.

The Legion community had already seen Clone Wars Legion months earlier, but there was still a ton of interest in it from interviewers. Obviously, there were people who didn't know about Clone Wars Legion before, who learned about CWL during GenCon 2019. Those people were ignorant casuals who obviously missed FFG's reveal back in March. So great, GenCon served its purpose in informing those unenlightened mouth-breathers. Mission accomplished! Meanwhile, the Legion community had known about CWL for months... and you know what? They were still hyped to see and learn more about CWL at GenCon!

Shocking, I know. That fans of something are excited and eager to learn more about that thing. This is a revelation. It's almost as if you give people a glimpse of something they want to see, they will want to see more of it later. It may seem absurd to some people, but it's true.

The same is true for Armada. Plenty of people knew about the SSD from GenCon 2018 and they were still excited to see it at GenCon 2019. Even if FFG had revealed the SSD before GenCon, there's no reason to believe it would've negative impacted the hype around the SSD at GenCon 2019. Same with the Starhawk and Onager that were revealed at GenCon 2019. If FFG had revealed them earlier, they still would've received plenty of attention at GenCon 2019.

There's no reason to believe that Clone Wars Armada will be any different. People will want to know more about CWA, and GenCon will serve its purpose in spreading that information to prospective customers who might not have been paying attention earlier. The difference will be that we, the Armada community, would get to see and learn about Clone Wars Armada earlier than GenCon.

I can't imagine any Armada player having a problem with seeing Clone Wars Armada early.

Edited by Reavern
Added SSD pic

9 hours ago, Reavern said:

1. In June, FFG should reveal Clone Wars Armada in a livestream to whoever is paying attention; namely, US, the Armada community; the people most likely to purchase the Clone Wars expansions.
  2. In August, whatever FFG normally does at GenCon, or whatever alternative they do at this year's "Virtual GenCon", i.e. talking to interviewers and distributors, presumably via Skype or Zoom or whatever, as well as hosting online panel discussions and Q&A sessions; FFG should DO THAT.
  3. In Q4, FFG releases Clone Wars Armada, as scheduled.
  4. Profit!

Understand? 🤨

Because I don't understand why anyone believes that if FFG reveals Clone Wars Armada before GenCon, they somehow won't have anything to show at GenCon.

They can show the exact same Clone Wars products at GenCon as they reveal earlier. Why wouldn't they?

In fact, FFG has always shown products, which they've previously revealed, at GenCons all the time. Look at this article about GenCon 2019.

Here's a pic of the newly revealed Imperial Bunker alongside a dozen or so previously released Imperial units:

FFG-booth-gencon2019-8.jpg

Clone Wars Legion had been publicly revealed back in March 28, 2019, as seen in this article.

Here's a pic of the Clone Wars Legion display at GenCon 2019:

FFG-booth-gencon2019-7.jpg

People had already seen Clone Wars Legion, but it still made news at GenCon 2019 -- inconceivable! 😆

And just to prove that this phenomenon wasn't exclusive to Legion, here's a pic of FFG's Armada display. That's a SSD, which had been revealed at GenCon 2018, but hadn't been released yet, alongside a Victory Star Destroy and Imperial Star Destroyer, which were released all the way back in 2015:

image.jpg

Do you get it now?

GenCon-exclusive product reveals don't matter.

The Legion community had already seen Clone Wars Legion months earlier, but there was still a ton of interest in it from interviewers. Obviously, there were people who didn't know about Clone Wars Legion before, who learned about CWL during GenCon 2019. Those people were ignorant casuals who obviously missed FFG's reveal back in March. So great, GenCon served its purpose in informing those unenlightened mouth-breathers. Mission accomplished! Meanwhile, the Legion community had known about CWL for months... and you know what? They were still hyped to see and learn more about CWL at GenCon!

Shocking, I know. That fans of something are excited and eager to learn more about that thing. This is a revelation. It's almost as if you give people a glimpse of something they want to see, they will want to see more of it later. It may seem absurd to some people, but it's true.

The same is true for Armada. Plenty of people knew about the SSD from GenCon 2018 and they were still excited to see it at GenCon 2019. Even if FFG had revealed the SSD before GenCon, there's no reason to believe it would've negative impacted the hype around the SSD at GenCon 2019. Same with the Starhawk and Onager that were revealed at GenCon 2019. If FFG had revealed them earlier, they still would've received plenty of attention at GenCon 2019.

There's no reason to believe that Clone Wars Armada will be any different. People will want to know more about CWA, and GenCon will serve its purpose in spreading that information to prospective customers who might not have been paying attention earlier. The difference will be that we, the Armada community, would get to see and learn about Clone Wars Armada earlier than GenCon.

I can't imagine any Armada player having a problem with seeing Clone Wars Armada early.

Read.

19 hours ago, Reavern said:

19 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Asked and answered.  Please refer to the link I posted earlier if you would like to lay out a comprehensive marketing plan for FFG.

14 hours ago, Formynder4 said:

Marketing efforts in the current world are totally new and different. The closest thing you have is post WWII sales where people were restricted from purchasing soooo many things because of the war that when manufacturing restarted, people spent like mad buying all kinds of things that were unavailable for months or even years. This will be much the same situation. People will buy spaceships as fast as their incomes will allow because they want to have fun again.

15 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

If production slipped (likely) they may be holding the annoucement until August to shorten the time between annoucement and release. 

They may also not have wanted to announce new products until the progress-page updates were in place and working, so they may have held off for websties updates, which also makes sense. 

Posted (edited)

Reavern, what you want is not what the marketing strategy of FFG is as stated by Steve Horvath (Asmodee North America President / Head of Publishing).

By no means am I a marketing expert, but what he states in the video I'm going to link makes a lot of sense to me, I may not like it, but that's their plans. If you want to see a change, you need to write to them directly with your comments and thoughts.

This entire video is a fantastic look inside Asmodee and by extent, FFG. I'd suggest you watch the whole thing.

Edited by Karneck

17 hours ago, Reavern said:

1. In June, FFG should reveal Clone Wars Armada in a livestream to whoever is paying attention; namely, US, the Armada community; the people most likely to purchase the Clone Wars expansions

Europe and Australia exist