Sign in to follow this  
Kergala

Creating characters with prior carreers

Hi,

I'm new to the game, and i'm french, so please pardon my english, and pardon if the same question exists somewhere on the forum.

I'm starting a campaign as GM, and I would like to offer to my players the possibility to create a character who has prior carreer's experience. No problem with out-law carreers, or even a possible jedi in exil, because the Obligations and Morality systems allow to create a system where the player has to augment his Obligations to obtain more ranks/skills/talents from his prior carreer as smuggler, mercenary, etc. (for jedi, I think paying skills/ranks/talents with Morality is a good way to introduce a more balanced/unbalanced Force character and making his past as Force sensitive more pregnant in game).

But for those who would like to be Rebellion (or ex-Imperials) veterans, I can't find a way to give them the possibility and adding considerations like the two other cases (out-laws and jedi). I mean, just giving them extra XP to spend in a prior carreer would be too easy and would make the two first options less appealing... I thought to the possibility to determine the number of talents/skills/ranks they have from their precedent carreer with die, and offering the possibility to increase the chance to have a high number by paying with starting XP (like using 1D3 - 1 to 3 ranks - to determine the number of ranks available, using 1D4 - 1 to 4 ranks - by paying 10XP, 1D6 by paying 15XP, but I find this system pretty unbalanced and unfair...)

What do you think and what do you suggest ?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Hm maybe let them take one of the Academy Cadet / Recruit Universal Specialization (either for free, or for more fairness bought from their starting xp)? 
Another solution could be, if every player has some kind of prior career: Give everyone a Universal Specialization of their choice at start.

I think this would be my approach since these Universal Careers are (in my opinion atleast) exactly for adding prior training / careers like this and in the most cases don't really fit the narrative when buying them later on.

Edited by Fl1nt

Depends on how long they had the career for. If they were a veteran inside that career, they shouldn't really be a starting character anyways. If they started a different career, but found out it wasn't for them, then buying ranks in skills that aren't from the new career could represent having and old career well enough.