Sign in to follow this  
Kzloy

Space Range and Combat Tracking Sheet

In getting back into the game, I made myself a speed/range band chart for space combat as it is always confusing to me and I don't want to grind the game to a halt while I try to figure out range bands.  I looked around, but didn't find anything to my liking.  I haven't finalized this, but was looking first for errors, and second for any input.  I don't want to drop a ton of info into the chart, but just keep it simple.  I mainly run games with my kids who like the visual representation, thus the greater area in the close range band for a pile of ships to congregate as that is where most of the combat will be performed.  This was geared towards use in tabletop simulator, but obviously is pretty generic.  This is about a 11x17 sheet size and in .pdf or .jpg format.  Thanks for any input you can offer.

PDF Version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TVhLTLs2vbadVUypIn243Pp6g-g718aX

JPG Version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GVQ2OSMLeERGyo2VPfDi_6XMpvi3Mjpi

4 minutes ago, Kzloy said:

In getting back into the game, I made myself a speed/range band chart for space combat as it is always confusing to me and I don't want to grind the game to a halt while I try to figure out range bands.  I looked around, but didn't find anything to my liking.  I haven't finalized this, but was looking first for errors, and second for any input.  I don't want to drop a ton of info into the chart, but just keep it simple.  I mainly run games with my kids who like the visual representation, thus the greater area in the close range band for a pile of ships to congregate as that is where most of the combat will be performed.  This was geared towards use in tabletop simulator, but obviously is pretty generic.  This is about a 11x17 sheet size and in .pdf or .jpg format.  Thanks for any input you can offer.

PDF Version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TVhLTLs2vbadVUypIn243Pp6g-g718aX

JPG Version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GVQ2OSMLeERGyo2VPfDi_6XMpvi3Mjpi

I think the large size of the Close range band is a bit unnecessary, but it looks about right.

52 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I think the large size of the Close range band is a bit unnecessary, but it looks about right.

Thanks.  That is what I thought and had originally designed it with the simple one plot for close, but then I tried it out with a trial space combat skirmish and my kids wanted to pile all their ships in the middle, so I expanded it.  I have not yet done much space combat, but I assume that for the most part that it will generally take place in the close range band, so after the initial encounter and getting into position, range bands won't be all that pertinent, but rather the narration of what is taking place.  At least for non-capital ships.  Again, largely inexperienced with the matter, but that is how I at least see my group going at the moment.

Just now, Kzloy said:

Thanks.  That is what I thought and had originally designed it with the simple one plot for close, but then I tried it out with a trial space combat skirmish and my kids wanted to pile all their ships in the middle, so I expanded it.  I have not yet done much space combat, but I assume that for the most part that it will generally take place in the close range band, so after the initial encounter and getting into position, range bands won't be all that pertinent, but rather the narration of what is taking place.  At least for non-capital ships.  Again, largely inexperienced with the matter, but that is how I at least see my group going at the moment.

When I used a map like this, it was to track the location of the moving ships in relation to a set piece (in this case, an interdictor, which is why it was relevant) but I still needed to track their location in relation to the chasing ships. The best way to do that is to keep the distances all uniform so that any part of the map can be the center. I was using a digital map I hastily drew up with paint.net , so I was able to stack all the ships in the center by just sizing the dots appropriately. That isn't going to work as well for a physical map, but you don't really need to stack all the ships in the middle, you can just move them off to the side when they are in the close range band.

However, this game doesn't work particularly well for this sort of map, even though space battles often really need the reference points. Ground battles are much easier to do in your head, especially in closed-in spaces.

Glad you liked it, I am hoping it will prove useful, if you use it and find that you keep saying, man I wish I had... let me know and I'll look at adding it.

3 hours ago, Jedifish said:

Love it! Would you want to do a version for Genesys too by chance?

I've not played Genesys, so I am not sure what you would need for it.  If you are able to give me a good enough explanation, it wouldn't be hard to adapt this.  I did this within coreldraw, so I have the capability to move things around and tweak them fairly easily.