Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Calkins

The Clone Wars - Season 7 Review and Discussion [Spoilers]

I looked for a discussion thread on this and was really surprised that one didn’t exist already.  I really enjoyed the season and thought it ended perfectly. 

The Bad Batch/Echo arc brought me right back into the action, so it was a good start to the season.  And since Admiral Trench is my favorite Separatist leader (and hopefully a future Armada commander), always great to see him on screen.

I felt that the season dragged a little in the middle with the Ashoka / sisters storyline, even though she had to re-introduced back into the season somehow.  Just not a particularly big fan of plots that move along due to dumb decisions (pretty sure I did an actual facepalm when the younger sister dumped all that spice).  Anyways, it fully paid off when Ashoka and Anakin were (briefly) reunited.

The last part of the season, the Battle of Mandalore and Order 66 arc, in my opinion, was more or less perfect.  Great explanation of how Ashoka escaped the purge, while being very visually appealing (both the falling Venator and the lightsaber duels between Ashoka and Maul were particularly amazing).  Ashoka burying the Clones in the end almost had me in tears.  Just showed that even after everything in the war, including Order 66, they were always more than just clones to her (and us, the viewer).

And I think that Vader’s brief appearance at the end was great too. When he ignites Ashoka’s lightsaber, it makes you question if he had any of his humanity left or if he was just thinking about killing another Jedi.  And walking away with the Clone helmet being buried by snow, symbolizing that the Clones, even after their hard work and sacrifice of many years, were destined to be forgotten after they had served their purpose.  Just a beautiful season that I would highly recommend.

Hope you all enjoyed it and curious to know everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the final season.

Posted (edited)

It was breathtaking. I'm so glad I waited until it was finished and then could watch the last four episodes in one sit. It was really emotional. I stopped the playback in almost every minute of the first two parts, just to fully savor all the emotional responses these situations inflicted from me. And the beautifully composed music! They used several themes from the original trilogy, but hands down my favorite was when they used the reworked music for Order 66 while the clones attacked Ahsoka. And the suspense... You knew what's coming and they dragged it on and on through half of the third part. It was great! I was a great Ahsoka fan before, but these episodes made me an even greater one. Frankly, I wasn't so much moved by Vader's appearance, I expected some more from him. Or they could have cut him out completely in my opinion. But I like what they did to his eyes.

I also like dhow every character aged, although with Yularen I think they went a bit too far. But they managed to bring Anakin and Obi-Wan so much closer to how Christensen and McGregor looked in RotS, that I haven't even noticed how different they were in the Clone Wars before :)

Fun fact: Have you noticed the Jurassic Park Easter Egg? When Rafa fights the Trandoshan there is a point when she kicks (I think) him in the stomach, and the Trando lets out the velociraptors' call sound. I was surprised that they did this :D

Edited by Norell

12 minutes ago, Norell said:

Fun fact: Have you noticed the Jurassic Park Easter Egg? When Rafa fights the Trandoshan there is a point when she kicks (I think) him in the stomach, and the Trando lets out the velociraptors' call sound. I was surprised that they did this :D

Isn't that just the call of the trandos? I think they introduced it in that episode where Ahsoka and a bunch of other jedi and Chewbacca are being hunted for sport.

24 minutes ago, Norell said:

And the suspense... You knew what's coming and they dragged it on and on through half of the third part.

I think this is what amazed me the most about the season, and the series overall.  We knew exactly how it was going to end, but were still so invested in seeing how it got there because of our love for the characters.

27 minutes ago, Norell said:

I didn't catch that the first time.  It's been almost two weeks, so I guess it's not too soon for a re-watch.

I was really surprised at the Clone Wars series overall.  Never thought I'd like a cartoon as much.  Ahsoka (as I'm sure happened to others) became a wonderful character that I grew to really adore.  Especially since at the beginning, she was an annoying child 🙂

As an OG starwars fan, the series actually allowed me to get into the first 3 episodes much more.  The interaction between Anakin and Ahsoka was the glue I personally needed to really get the changes in Anakin towards the darkness.  After the CW series, Episode 3 is right at the top of my list of favorites.

I feel almost exactly the same review as @Admiral Calkins.  Wonderful start to season 7, slower a bit with the sisters, and then an outstanding finish.  The Ahsoka facepaint clones got me in the feels.  Finishing with a parallel to episode 3 is just perfect.

I am now a super Dave Filoni fan.  If you haven't watched the Gallery/Mando doc, I highly recommend it for starwars nerds.  His description of the father/Qui-Gon relationship is wonderful.

It was enjoyable but too short of a season to have the sisters arc as a filler, there was plenty of ways to get Ahsoka from Coruscant to Mandalore without taking such a narrative detour. The finale with Vader at the Venator wreckage was surprisingly moving. I still dislike the clone biochips because it's more emotional in my opinion to have the clones following orders willingly rather than forcibly.