Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

Investigators We're Missing

Posted (edited)

So, between Innsmouth & the stand-alone decks, I think we're only missing 15 investigators.  I still want Charlie to be neutral, although without any additional investigators we're at exactly 3 more cycles.

1. Agatha Crane - the Parapsychologist
  2. Bob Jenkins - the Salesman
  3. Carson Sinclair - the Buttler
  4. Charlie Kane - the Politician
  5. Daniela Reyes - the Mechanic
  6. Darrell Simmons - the Photographer
  7. George Barnaby - the Lawyer
  8. Gloria Goldberg - the Author
  9. Hank Samson - the Farmhand
  10. Kate Winthrop - the Scientist
  11. Lily Chen - the Martial Artist
  12. Michael McGlen - the Gangster
  13. Monterey Jack - the Archeologist
  14. Norman Withers - the Astronomer
  15. Vincent Lee - the Doctor
  16. Wilson Richards - the Handyman
Edited by Duciris
Added Norman Withers after it was pointed out I didn't include him. :)

4 hours ago, Duciris said:

So, between Innsmouth & the stand-alone decks, I think we're only missing 15 investigators.  I still want Charlie to be neutral, although without any additional investigators we're at exactly 3 more cycles.

Norman has only been released with his novella so far, which would make 16. So don’t give up on a neutral Charlie Kane just yet!

There could also be other brand new investigators waiting in the wings.

4 hours ago, Assussanni said:

Norman has only been released with his novella so far, which would make 16. So don’t give up on a neutral Charlie Kane just yet!

There could also be other brand new investigators waiting in the wings.

I would love a neutral Charlie Kane.

I bet they'll start including parallel investigators in the main expansions eventually.

The thought occurs that we're running out of "obvious" members of classes. Mandy Thompson the Researcher was obviously going to be a Seeker, Mark Harrigan the Soldier was obviously going to be a Guardian, and so on. Now we've seen a lot of less obvious classes for certain investigators, which have expanded the overall scope of those classes (Carolyn as Guardian, Sefina as Rogue, etc.) but of those remaining 15, there's only like 3 I'm confident in the primary class of - Kate as Seeker, Michael as Rogue and Wilson as Survivor. That's not to say that the others are a complete mystery - I can certainly think of classes that could fit them well, and it seems safe to assume that Monterey will have Seeker access, but I could imagine George Barnaby, Carson Sinclair and Charlie Kane as any class other than Mystic. 

It could be useful to work under the assumption that of the 15, there will be 3 members of each class (with an extra floating slot and possibly just 2 Seekers since Norman Withers hasn't been released outside of novellas, for the Neutral Charlie fans), but the designers have been pretty happy to confirm that there's a number of unreleased investigator ideas available so that's not going to work as a hard and fast rule. That said, there's only 3 investigators in the list that would really make sense as primary Mystic to me, those being Agatha, Gloria and Lily. 

We're also running out of unused 5/2 Primary/Secondary combinations - it's just Seeker 5/Rogue 2 and Survivor 5/Seeker 2, right? Seeker/Rogue feels like Monterey Jack and Survivor/Seeker feels like Darrell Simmons...

Posted (edited)

Agreed. Though, honestly, with some out-of-the-box thinking, I could see Gloria as both a seeker 5/Rogue 2 or a Survivor 5/Seeker 2.  (Seeker has a lot of tomes...and truth from fiction just feels appropriate to her plight)

I have a feeling she won't be either of those, but I have a heavy impression that survivor is fitting as she never seems like she wanted to have the visions/writings she puts to paper despite profiting off of them. From prior games, I believe the impression is that she does frequent Velma's and carries a concealed weapon (rogue), that she is looking for answers and trying to suss out whether she is in control and channeling/ferrying out existing stories (seeker) or if the mythos is, instead, writing her into its predestined plans (mystic). The only role I don't see her as is a guardian to be honest. But I feel like the rest of your thoughts are in line with mine Allonym.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)

For a while now (since about TFA I guess), I'd been trying to keep a running list of my predictions for each character and their class, under the assumption that character distribution would be equal among the five classes, with any excess characters going into Neutral. For the most part my guesses have been fairly accurate (Sister Mary being Guardian really threw me for a loop though).

As of right now, there are a total of 58 investigators in the Arkham lineup. Meaning we'd ideally be getting 11 characters for each class, with 3 Neutral characters (assuming we don't get any additional characters added further down the line. The addition of three new investigators recently threw off my predictions quite a bit, but if I had to revise my predictions again under those same assumptions, I'd probably go with something like:

Guardian: Lily Chen, Wilson Richards, Daniela Reyes
Seeker: Kate Winthrop, Darrell Simmons
Rogue: Michael McGlen, Bob Jenkins, Monterey Jack
Mystic: Agatha Crane, Gloria Goldberg
Survivor: Carson Sinclair, Hank Samson, Vincent Lee
Neutral: Charlie Kane, George Barnaby

Lily Chen strikes me as the most obvious Guardian of the remaining characters. I could also see Daniela being a Rogue character instead. Wilson was the one I'm least sure about for the Guardians, because I could see him fitting under Rogue or Survivor as well. He's mostly just there to fill out the roster.

Kate is an obvious choice for Seeker. Darrell as well, but I could see him as Rogue or Survivor as well. Just in general, Seekers have been the easiest to predict.

Michael McGlen is the most obvious of any of the missing investigators. If he isn't Rogue I will eat his MoM figure. Bob I'm not sure about and honestly he's one of the few characters I could also consider for the Neutral spot alongside Charlie. I put Monterey Jack into Rogue only because I don't expect him to share a class with Ursula and Leo.

Agatha and Gloria as Mystics is fairly obvious. They're the only likely candidates, aside from maybe Lily Chen as some kind of weird hybrid combat mage.

Carson and Hank both seem as likely Survivors to me. Though Hank might fit into Guardian as well. I put Vincent here instead of Guardian because I'm expecting a bit more creativity aside from just "Carolyn, but with damage instead of horror".

Charlie is the obvious Neutral pick. As for George, I honestly had no idea where to put him, so I just kind of stuck him into Neutral.

Ultimately it'll still take at least 3 more cycles to finish the lineup and add every investigator into the game. Assuming this is what happens though, it means they'll probably need to release an expansion without a Mystic at some point. Marie being a secondary Mystic alongside Diana in TCU kind of threw everything off. I get that FFG didn't want to release a deluxe expansion where some people might already own 2-3 of the 5 investigators, so they decided to add an extra one. But I feel like adding one of the potential Neutrals would've been a better move.

Edit: Fun fact. There are only two investigators that haven't appeared in either Mansions of Madness or the LCG yet (or AH3E for that matter). George Barnaby and Hank Samson.

Edited by Annette Soleil

I think Wilson may well end up as a Survivor and Carson as a Guardian.

But now that my man Harvey is out shortly, now I just have to wait for one of my other bearded faves, George Barnaby. No idea where he fits in.

12 hours ago, Krysmopompas said:

I think Wilson may well end up as a Survivor and Carson as a Guardian.

But now that my man Harvey is out shortly, now I just have to wait for one of my other bearded faves, George Barnaby. No idea where he fits in.

I really like the idea of George Barbaby as a low combat Guardian. He has that whole "I answer to a higher law", bringing the cultists to justice thing going on, and it would make a lot of sense thematically for the lawyer to have police connections. Plus, in previous Arkham Files games, he's had a focus on support for other players, which is a Guardian sub-theme.

Or something like Norman Withers' deckbuilding, starting out as a Rogue and then only having access to upgraded Guardian cards.

Pure speculation and wishfulness on my part, of course, but I agree he could fit in anywhere (except Mystic).

6 hours ago, Allonym said:

Or something like Norman Withers' deckbuilding, starting out as a Rogue and then only having access to upgraded Guardian cards.

I really loved this idea and I'm really hoping we see more investigators with this sort of deckbuilding requirement. I'm wondering if whatever expansion Norman comes packaged in will include 4-5 other investigators with similar deckbuilding requirements (similar to how all the Dunwich investigators had similar deckbuilding options). While he's not my favorite per se, Norman is definitely one of the more interesting Seeker characters imo. I find him to be a more potent spell caster than Daisy most of the time, and Seeker 0 has enough options to support both that and the usual clue gathering.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, Allonym said:

We're also running out of unused 5/2 Primary/Secondary combinations - it's just Seeker 5/Rogue 2 and Survivor 5/Seeker 2, right? Seeker/Rogue feels like Monterey Jack and Survivor/Seeker feels like Darrell Simmons...

I have my spinning wheel in front of me and it looks like we're missing 5 (Obviously correct me if I'm behind the times.):

• Guardian sub-Mystic
  • Seeker sub-Rogue
  • Rogue sub-Seeker
  • Mystic sub-Rogue
  • Survivor sub-Seeker

If we're assuming we'll see the last 5 of 20 in the upcoming sets, then we can assign them to our pool.

I can see Michael McGlen being the Rogue sub-Seeker.  His backstory is a gangster that saw his partner, Louie, killed by some creature.

I'm guessing Monterey Jack is our Seeker sub-Rogue.  I forget why, but I feel like he's traditionally crooked.  It would make him difficult to play with Ursula & Leo though.

I often confuse Hank Samson & Wilson Richards.  I'll blindly guess that one of them is the Survivor sub-Seeker.

Not sure about the other 2.

14. Norman Withers - the Astronomer (known)

10 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I have my spinning wheel in front of me and it looks like we're missing 5 (Obviously correct me if I'm behind the times.):

• Guardian sub-Mystic
  • Seeker sub-Rogue
  • Rogue sub-Seeker
  • Mystic sub-Rogue
  • Survivor sub-Seeker

If we're assuming we'll see the last 5 of 20 in the upcoming sets, then we can assign them to our pool.

I can see Michael McGlen being the Rogue sub-Seeker.  His backstory is a gangster that saw his partner, Louie, killed by some creature.

I'm guessing Monterey Jack is our Seeker sub-Rogue.  I forget why, but I feel like he's traditionally crooked.  It would make him difficult to play with Ursula & Leo though.

I often confuse Hank Samson & Wilson Richards.  I'll blindly guess that one of them is the Survivor sub-Seeker.

Not sure about the other 2.

14. Norman Withers - the Astronomer (known)

Dexter Drake the Magician is Mystic 5/Rogue 2. Sister Mary, who is coming out in Innsmouth, is Guardian 5/Mystic 2. It has been very, very strongly implied in the Innsmouth livestream that Trish Scarborough the Spy, who is coming out in Innsmouth, will be Rogue 5/Seeker 2.

1 hour ago, Allonym said:

Dexter Drake the Magician is Mystic 5/Rogue 2. Sister Mary, who is coming out in Innsmouth, is Guardian 5/Mystic 2. It has been very, very strongly implied in the Innsmouth livestream that Trish Scarborough the Spy, who is coming out in Innsmouth, will be Rogue 5/Seeker 2.

Thanks!

Wow, that sort of makes me smarter for specifically not assigning those 2 pairings. 🤣

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Hank Samson is generally a dedicated monster kill in any game he's appeared in thus far, and intelligence/lore is always his weakest stat, so he definitely won't be a sub-Seeker (although his Observation was pretty good in EH). I could maybe see Carson Sinclair fitting that role though. Or maybe Bob Jenkins.

So the only other spot we seem to be missing is Seeker-sub-Rogue. Which to me, really seems to only leave Monterey Jack or Darrell Simmons. Of the two, I'd lead toward Darrell Simmons to avoid Monterey overlapping too much with Leo or Ursula.

Edited by Annette Soleil

I don't care if Bob Jenkins' design ends up being bottom tier when he comes out.  I love playing him in Arkham Horror.  I'm gonna be making Bob Jenkins decks 24/7.  To be honest there's still alot of strong characters left.  I'm surprised the game has gotten this far without Monterey Jack showing up.  Also Lilly Chen and Charlie Kane have sizable fan clubs out there 🙂

1 hour ago, phillos said:

I don't care if Bob Jenkins' design ends up being bottom tier when he comes out.  I love playing him in Arkham Horror.  I'm gonna be making Bob Jenkins decks 24/7.  To be honest there's still alot of strong characters left.  I'm surprised the game has gotten this far without Monterey Jack showing up.  Also Lilly Chen and Charlie Kane have sizable fan clubs out there 🙂

In AH3, I three-hand Tommy, Michael, & Marie.  I don't especially care how well they synergize, I'm running them through one of the Returns.

In Final Hour, I've come up with a storyline where Tommy has developed a crush on Rita.  Rita thinks it's police harassment/a race thing.  They're my waking world team-up for my first run at Dream-Eaters.  (Luke & Tony are the sleepers.  (No additional backstory, although I'll probably have one by the end pertaining to the amount of bounties Tony's collecting in the Dreamlands.  (I think the cats are taking out the bounties.)  Maybe Luke is Tony's guide and gets half.))

It's also worth noting that of the Barkham Horror investigators, the only one based on an investigator not yet introduced into the game yet is Kate Winthrop. With the exception of Duke (who is still fairly accurate to his original counterpart), all of the Barkham Horror investigators have identical classes and statlines with the investigators they're based on. So it's a fair assumption to say that Kate is guaranteed to be a Seeker with a statline of 3/4/1/4 (identical to Ursula huh).

Of the remaining investigators, that probably makes Seeker Kate and Rogue Michael McGlen the most guaranteed positions. Agatha and Gloria also strike me as the only viable Mystics left as well. Since we still need a Mystic-sub-Rogue, I guess I'd go with... maybe Agatha? She's one of the investigators I'm least familiar with but I'm not sure Rogue fits Gloria especially well.

Posted (edited)

The more I think about Gloria, she could really be anything (probably not guardian). If she can take 0-5 insights, everything she'd want thematically is already covered plus options that make a lot of sense that she'd be excluded from (delve too deep, truth from fiction, cryptic research, deciphered reality, delay the inevitable[how fitting is this?], drawn to the flame, forewarned, sure gamble, fortuitious discovery, "Fool me once..."). I have a thematically very similar fan-made rogue clue-ver that uses insights to pad her ability to get clues and stay on brand for the unusual-powers-rewriting-reality trope, and it's remarkable how many of those are just awesome fits.

I've sold myself on this idea, but she would likely still be part mystic or seeker. But I could really see her as a survivor or rogue with access to 0-5 Insight cards.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Soakman said:

The more I think about Gloria, she could really be anything (probably not guardian). If she can take 0-5 insights, everything she'd want thematically is already covered plus options that make a lot of sense that she'd be excluded from (delve too deep, truth from fiction, cryptic research, deciphered reality, delay the inevitable[how fitting is this?], drawn to the flame, forewarned, sure gamble, fortuitious discovery, "Fool me once..."). I have a thematically very similar fand-made rogue clue-ver that uses insights to pad her ability to get clues and stay on brand for the unusual-powers-rewriting-reality trope, and it's remarkable how many of those are just awesome fits.

I've sold myself on this idea, but she would likely still be part mystic or seeker. But I could really see her as a survivor or rogue with access to 0-5 Insight cards.

I think you have nailed her with the 0-5 insight cards. With that secondary, I would want to argue against Seeker as her primary though. Just because one of the reasons Rita and Mateo are so frustrating to build and continue upgrading, is that their secondary cards are so limited and Seekers have by far the most Insight cards. Maybe if she were a Mystic, but is precluded from having rituals and spells with charges. Some of Jacqueline’s cards could be thematic for her. I could see a Survivor primary too.

Or she could be the other Neutral investigator Matt hinted at. A true neutral whose build is completely governed by traits instead of class. How thematic would  that be? 
Something like 0-5 Insight and Neutral,  0-3 Innate and Cursed and up to 5 0 level item assets.  

Edited by Mimi61

29 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Or she could be the other Neutral investigator Matt hinted at. A true neutral whose build is completely governed by traits instead of class. How thematic would  that be? 
Something like 0-5 Insight and Neutral,  0-3 Innate and Cursed and up to 5 0 level item assets.  

Gloria was one of my earliest predictions for a Neutral investigator, back before we got this huge influx of brand new investigators. I only shifted her to Mystic more recently because of the fact that she's one of the only investigators left that could fill the two remaining Mystic slots. Unless we get yet another brand new investigator. Or they throw us a real curve ball and make Lily Chen a Mystic.

I can't remember who my earlier Mystic predictions that got proved wrong were. Probably either Sister Mary or Patrice Hathaway. Which... I kind of wasn't wrong about, since they're both Mystic subs.