Sign in to follow this  
Hobbyist

7x TIE Bomber list- can it work?

So, to be brief, i was thinking about what list may be the hardest to chew through, and I figured I'd give it a go. Not to mention, since play is only online, i'm not limited to the 3 bombers I own.

The bomber is dirt cheap at 27 points, 6 hull behind 2 green dice. 42 health for 7 of them. I did a little mental testing, as well as flying against it in fly casual sim, where I flew Vennie with vtg and c3p0, tallie, greer and the new I5 Awing Pilot, whose name escapes me atm. I fought valiantly, tried to arc dodge and minimize incoming shots, but they wore me down in defeat, which was exactly what I was hoping to see. I mentally went through some possible matchups, and I was pretty sure I had a fighting chance to do OK. the build I settled on is this

7x scimitar squadron bombers

1 with proton bombs,

2 with seismic charges. 

Set up with a lane on one side with a width of 2.5-3 between board edge and rock.  front row has 4 bombers with a template width between. back row has 3 set in the gaps, bomber with protons on the outside, seismics on the inside. The bombs are not really the point of the list, but I felt that it was a better way to spend the points than upgrading one of the ships to a named pilot, or adding more hull.

Come wednesday night, it's maiden voyage, during a casual online game, the folly and bane of the bomber swarm appeared. 

Kallus in the ghost, Jan ors trailing behind, and Braylen Stramm. At least 2 bombers were one-shot. Bombers, one-shot. I struggled to roll paint. In the first engagement, I had all guns on stramm, who only suffered 5 damage. over the course of the game, I did get Kallus down to 4 hull, and Jan was too well protected to get too much off. I eventually conceded when I was down to 2 bombers, as I no longer had the firepower to finish off his ships.

It was a fun and hilariously ill-fated first outing of the bombers. 

So I had this idea for a while back and just need a 4th bomber to make it happen.  I think it’s quite a lot to handle and probably edges out the 5 tie-fighter version by being able to link actions and having a ton of extra health.  Give it a try if you want something you can bulldoze across the board and make your opponents cry salty salty tears.

Sloan Bombers

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(9) Admiral Sloane
(2) Hull Upgrade
(1) Ruthless
(4) Dauntless

(27) Scimitar Squadron Pilot [TIE/sa Bomber]

Total points: 200

There’s a guy on TTS that’s placed very high in several tournaments, @Hand of Vecna might be him... not sure if his TTS name is the same here or not.

He’s running 4 bombers with Prox mines and an Echo w/ 5Bro.  It’s...... deadly!

I’m planning on running this, mainly because I only have 3 bombers lol. 

Bomber Fun

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(14) Darth Vader
(6) Proximity Mines
(1) Ruthless
(4) Dauntless

(6) Proximity Mines

(6) Proximity Mines

(6) Proximity Mines

Total points: 200

I'm not super committed to this list type going forward, I had just flown Sloane RAC w/5 ties (ruthless version)  a couple times, and wanted to run this (7x bomber) as sort of an experiment. it could have legs, but it's kind of a dull exercise. I might dust off either some 'good guy' ships, which don't receive much love, or get the phantoms to the table for my next venture. I think i've flown a 2.0 phantom once, really early in 2.0.

One thing's for sure, I hope i don't see more of this across the table!

Replying to JBFancourt, 

another thing I've run is oicunn with 3x barrage rocket bombers, which i think was before this points update. probably had VTG on oicunn, don't remember what else,don't think i did sloane, but ruthless might work.

The TIE/sa is one of my favorite ships in the game aesthetically, though I haven't flown any in 2.0. Not to wax poetic or anything, but I recall and epic game where I had one Gozanti with 4 mine bombers, flanked by six more, two with proximity mines. I think I was up against a mate with a CR-90 with X-wings... that was massively fun. Bombs' bombs everywhere and four were just heavy TIEs. I had to borrow only two. So yeah, I have lots of them around, just no 2.0 upgrade kits to make them tic in 2.0 land.

Go for it @Hobbyist and let us know how the new heavy swarm does. Props!

...now were's my tea?