brettspielcafe

Second edition wishlist (yes, I know it’s early)

We’ve seen the developers modify line-of-sight rules with silhouettes, there was a big adjustment to range rules for snipers, and medium cavalry (Tauns and Dews) are clearly going to be adjusted. So the game is evolving.

In believe that in the next 12-24 months the Devs will likely start thinking about a 2nd edition. This would allow them to fully rebalance the game and also include new layers of complexity for hard core players to stay excited about.

What are some next-level improvements or just additions to the game, that you would (realistically) like to see in a 2nd edition? This is mostly spit-balling, as some of these ideas may not fit the scale or vision of the game. However, more than a few surely could be added - with perhaps only a minor increase in the cognitive load. Some could be “optional rules”, not for competitive play, just for casual. Others might be for competitive only, or campaign play.

I’ll start:

* Rules for building interiors, doorways

* Off-board artillery (see Leia’s command card)

* More sophisticated grenade rules (scatter? different types of smoke?)

* Spotter rules for forward observers (laser pointing)

* Building destruction / terrain morphing

* Non-violent attacks (“there’s one, set for stun!”), non-violent scenarios/units (Corusant / Naboo police actions?)

* Enhanced Camo / Invisibility / Force Projection (i.e. Luke’s trick in episode VIII, Imperial Spy/scout units from Imperial Assault)

* Jump-Troopers (Mandalorian)

* Customized armor rules (Mandolorian)

* Impersonization (sp?), I.e. shape shifting units/spies

* Half-squads. For extra activations, manning heavy or medium weapons (smaller versions of e-webs, with a spotter/loader and shooter for example, but not on a super-heavy frame)

* Experience upgrades (for campaign play or multi-game play - units that survive gain minor upgrades or even downgrades)

* Civilian rules

* Air-strikes

* Hidden deployment

* Hasty-barricades (engineers)

* Climbing/elevation rules that encourage vertical movement (right now this is rarely a good thing to do in Legion as it consumes precious actions)

* Prisoners, taken in game

* Surrender rules (Episode IV, Episode VI)

* Fires (burnable terrain)

* ?

Yeah I don't want any of those suggestions. In fact I don't want 2nd edition, there is no need for it. They need to get CW era caught up to the current era, and once that happens, if they really feel the need to revamp older kits (e.g. Snow Speeder), they can just release new cards for it. At some point, I could envision a card card pack for each faction that contains alternate unit types for specific units.

Posted (edited)

The main things I want are:

-No point costs on cards like X-Wing 2.0

-A general redesign of early units like the snowspeeder and AT-RT to both make them a bit better but also just reflect the newer keywords that match them more.

-General redesign on the exhaust heavy weapons to either give them all cycle or some other boons that make them worth it to take.

Edited by KommanderKeldoth

@brettspielcafe
"What are some next-level improvements or just additions to the game, that you would (realistically) like to see in a 2nd edition? This is mostly spit-balling, as some of these ideas may not fit the scale or vision of the game. However, more than a few surely could be added - with perhaps only a minor increase in the cognitive load. Some could be “optional rules”, not for competitive play, just for casual. Others might be for competitive only, or campaign play."

I think most of these are actually present in the game already.

"* Rules for building interiors, doorways" - Exists in the form of line of sight rules already.

"* Off-board artillery (see Leia’s command card)...* Air-strikes" - As you note, Leia's command card. Also Veer's, and the upcoming Bombing Run objective is pretty much explicitly an air strike. Off-map attacks should be fairly limited in scope because it's sort of an un-fun mechanic to be on the receiving end of, especially if you can't plan around it.

"* Spotter rules for forward observers (laser pointing)" - Pretty much fire support. I appreciate the idea that a mortar would truly be able to fire without line of sight, but they'd also have no actual knowledge of the location of the enemy, and there would be scatter. The former cannot be achieved, because the players have perfect location knowledge, and the latter is just obnoxious in a game with a maximum of 6 attacks per game.

* Hidden deployment - Pathfinders/Jyn/Vader command card, etc...

* Experience upgrades (for campaign play or multi-game play - units that survive gain minor upgrades or even downgrades) - Already present in the campaigns.

* Surrender rules (Episode IV, Episode VI) - You can already surrender.

* Non-violent attacks (“there’s one, set for stun!”), non-violent scenarios/units (Corusant / Naboo police actions?) - Immobilize Tokens and Ion Tokens already exist.
* Enhanced Camo / Invisibility / Force Projection (i.e. Luke’s trick in episode VIII, Imperial Spy/scout units from Imperial Assault) - R2D2 does this already. Luke has a command card. Arguably the Commandos and Han's Low Profiles are also this.

Others are planned in future releases:
"* Jump-Troopers (Mandalorian)" - Literally Clan Wren.
* Hasty-barricades (engineers)" - Condition card
* Civilian rules / * Prisoners, taken in game - Objective card
* Impersonization (sp?), I.e. shape shifting units/spies - K2so does this.

I don't think these are viable.
* Building destruction / terrain morphing
* Fires (burnable terrain)

The game only lasts 6 turns, and that equates to something under 10 minutes of 'real' time. These are very short engagements (consider, a speed-2 move is only like 10-15 feet; and if you spent all 12 actions on that, you're only going like 180 feet, and doing 'nothing else'.)

10 hours ago, Chili-52 said:

For second edition, I would really like a new core set with miniatures that paint themselves to Sorastro level quality.  Is that too much to ask?  🥺

That's some 22nd century stuff right there mate.

Exhaust weapons/abilities need a re-design.

Some action abilities (e.g. quick thinking, immobilize etc.) need to be free actions.

Losing a whole action is too much in this game, players tend to avoid anything that will make them lose actions in the competitive landscape.

High cost units probably need a slight point reduction.

B1's are too cheap. Ignoring suppression is HUGE for 6 points a pop!

People still don't take ION because they are usually exhaust or only apply in specific situations/against specific factions.

I'd like some extra element of chance mitigation in attack/save rolls - but I get that's just my personal taste.

All i need is a mercenary faction and models. I think they've done well to include everything else in the game without it being overkill.

Flying large vehicles would be overkill.

While customizeable figures would be cool, i don't think it belongs in this game ir they can add a campaign style add on

16 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

Most of this you will find in a role playing game. You don’t want to slow the game down to much as it’s around two hours a game now.

12 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

All these do is crank the complexity of the game up to 11, and that's including the ones I like. It sounds like what you really want is an RPG, and several good ones already exist.

You guys are aware that very crunchy wargames were the norm for like, all time until fairly recently, and are still widely appreciated, right?

Maybe what you guys really want is a board game, I hear Star Wars monopoly is nice and simple fnar fnar 😘

14 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

The main things I want are:

-No point costs on cards like X-Wing 2.0

-A general redesign of early units like the snowspeeder and AT-RT to both make them a bit better but also just reflect the newer keywords that match them more.

-General redesign on the exhaust heavy weapons to either give them all cycle or some other boons that make them worth it to take.

And another thing!

It's obvious that after the game was released they realized that orders needed to mean more (just look at the prequel factions both being really order dependent with aggressive tactics, and the newer elite corps units that get bonuses from having orders, linked targeting array etc.)  It would be cool if a 2nd edition built that in from the ground up instead of adding it in with upgrade cards.

Also something to mitigate activation spamming on the competitive level.  Maybe a pass mechanic and/or a boost to high cost, low activation lists so that they are not outclassed by the base rules of the game.

1 hour ago, Yodhrin said:

You guys are aware that very crunchy wargames were the norm for like, all time until fairly recently, and are still widely appreciated, right?

Maybe what you guys really want is a board game, I hear Star Wars monopoly is nice and simple fnar fnar 😘

I actually play quite a few games that take just as long if not longer. Bolt action, FOW, Dystopian wars, Armada, Fist full of tows, Victory at sea. There are a lot of people in my area that if the game took longer they would probably drop it.

Anyway back on topic I want fewer keywords. Every expansion that comes out seems to add more key words and I find myself asking my opponent what each thing does all the time as the upgrade cards don’t explain anything.

5 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

And another thing!

It's obvious that after the game was released they realized that orders needed to mean more (just look at the prequel factions both being really order dependent with aggressive tactics, and the newer elite corps units that get bonuses from having orders, linked targeting array etc.)  It would be cool if a 2nd edition built that in from the ground up instead of adding it in with upgrade cards.

Also something to mitigate activation spamming on the competitive level.  Maybe a pass mechanic and/or a boost to high cost, low activation lists so that they are not outclassed by the base rules of the game.

Wonder if “half squads” might be an answer to balancing # of activations? In squads w a heavy weapon, e.g. DLT or Z6, turn a 5-man ST squad into 2 “half squads” (3+2 men), gains you an activation at a significant drop in firepower. Still useful for padding, plus objective grabbing.

59 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Letting vehicles take/affect more objectives.

This

59 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Blue player determined by total unit count,

not by points.

And this

I'd also like to see some form of indirect fire mechanic, makes no sense that morters need los.

What I'd really like is to avoid the X-Wing situation and NOT release 2.0 version of existing units - a conversion pack is more than enough.

Also, points and upgrade slots in PDFs instead of the cards

6 hours ago, brettspielcafe said:

Wonder if “half squads” might be an answer to balancing # of activations? In squads w a heavy weapon, e.g. DLT or Z6, turn a 5-man ST squad into 2 “half squads” (3+2 men), gains you an activation at a significant drop in firepower. Still useful for padding, plus objective grabbing.

Im thinking of ways, in the rules themselves, that they could balance the inherent advantage a larger number of activations gives you. Half squads would just get spammed by the same list types that currently spam activations.

3 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Blue player determined by total unit count,

not by points.

This would be a step in the right direction.

Another thing they could tweak in a 2nd edition is clearing up the terminology between actions and board states. For instance: A move action, a move, and a standard move are all different things, which can be confusing at times. They should give all of the actual actions a distinct name. Like the Assault action allows you to perform an attack. Or a Reposition allows you to perform a move.