gennataos

Vennie lists...?

Posted (edited)

I decided to get out of my comfort (Poe) zone and start exploring ships I don't usually play.  I've probably played a StarFortress less than half a dozen times between 1.0 and 2.0, so I'm starting with that.  I put this on the (virtual) table and actually really liked it.  The synergy between the Vennie and the A-Wings, Ronith's and Zizi's ability...kind of fun stuff that I usually don't do (I don't do synergy).  I'd probably swap the Proton Bombs out for Seismics, but not sure what else I'd change, maybe toss Crackshot on Tallie and Zizi with the extra points.

Vennie (56)
Trajectory Simulator (6)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
Proton Bombs (5)

Ronith Blario (34)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Zizi Tlo (40)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Anyone else have a Vennie list?  I understand @Rich P is a big Vennie fan...?

Edited by gennataos

Posted (edited)

Ya know, I kinda like that.  A pretty slim Vennie to fit in 3 A-Wings, particularly with the H&A pilots.  With the cheaper bomb-throwing and just PerCo, that probably gets at most of what Vennie can do.

A friend of mine @SwampyCr used to fly some thick Vennie, with Rey Gunner, VTG, and an M9-G8 carrier (either Bastian or a Korr/C-3PO Nodin, who was kinda cool), but eventually moved away from the list.

But having three ships along with Vennie kinda makes sense to me.

*edit*

Given how often Tallie cuts Optics in 5A, maybe it'd make sense to do that and add a second bomb (Seismics) to Vennie.  Just a thought.

Edited by theBitterFig

I’ve run a similar list but I drop Tallie for Rey, VTG, and Prox mines on Vennie.  Vennie with Rey is a surprisingly strong late game ship. 

Another fun list is Finch Vennie

Finch-Seismic bomb, proton bomb, VTG, Paige, perceptive copilot

Vennie-proton bomb, prox mine, C-3PO, collision detector, VTG, Rey

Awhile ago when those Awings first released I flew double shot Vennie with 3 blues. Was, and still is, one of my favorite lists to fly. Think I was like 7-1 with the list, losing only to a Vader,Whisper,Soontir.

Blue Squadron Recruit (32)
Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Vennie (56)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Rose Tico (9)
Paige Tico (7)
Veteran Turret Gunner (10)
Total: 195

Since creating the list, 5pts opened up, so could fit bombs on Vennie, or upgrade a blue to Talli/Greer.

Hrrm, messing with the 5extra pts, you can actually take rose off, and get a t70 with m9g8 to give Vennie rerolls on both shots.

Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Vennie (56)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Paige Tico (7)

Blue Squadron Rookie (42)
M9-G8 (7)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Total: 199

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Given how often Tallie cuts Optics in 5A, maybe it'd make sense to do that and add a second bomb (Seismics) to Vennie.  Just a thought.

I've thought about doing something like that.  I think I'll just straight move to Seismics over Protons if I can have only one bomb, but having both sounds really appealing with Trajectory Simulator.  It's something to swap around and see what feels/works best.

1 hour ago, Asaverino1019 said:

I’ve run a similar list but I drop Tallie for Rey, VTG, and Prox mines on Vennie.  Vennie with Rey is a surprisingly strong late game ship. 

Another fun list is Finch Vennie

Finch-Seismic bomb, proton bomb, VTG, Paige, perceptive copilot

Vennie-proton bomb, prox mine, C-3PO, collision detector, VTG, Rey

I'm intrigued by the phat Vennie variants.  I'm hoping @Rich P can provide some insight.  If that's who I think it is, he's done well in the UK with Vennie.

1 hour ago, wurms said:

Awhile ago when those Awings first released I flew double shot Vennie with 3 blues. Was, and still is, one of my favorite lists to fly. Think I was like 7-1 with the list, losing only to a Vader,Whisper,Soontir.

Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Vennie (56)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Rose Tico (9)
Paige Tico (7)
Total: 195

Since creating the list, 5pts opened up, so could fit bombs on Vennie, or upgrade a blue to Talli/Greer.

Hrrm, messing with the 5extra pts, you can actually take rose off, and get a t70 with m9g8 to give Vennie rerolls on both shots.

Advanced Optics (4)

Advanced Optics (4)

Vennie (56)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Paige Tico (7)

Blue Squadron Rookie (42)
M9-G8 (7)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Total: 199

I know bomb-less Vennie's have done okay before, but it seems like you really want bombs in a world with CIS swarms, yeah?

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I know bomb-less Vennie's have done okay before, but it seems like you really want bombs in a world with CIS swarms, yeah?

Yeah, probably, I didnt play this when CIS was released or was any good as people were just figuring them out. Would definately use those 5pts for some bombs in the awing list

8 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Ya know, I kinda like that.  A pretty slim Vennie to fit in 3 A-Wings, particularly with the H&A pilots.  With the cheaper bomb-throwing and just PerCo, that probably gets at most of what Vennie can do.

A friend of mine @SwampyCr used to fly some thick Vennie, with Rey Gunner, VTG, and an M9-G8 carrier (either Bastian or a Korr/C-3PO Nodin, who was kinda cool), but eventually moved away from the list.

But having three ships along with Vennie kinda makes sense to me.

*edit*

My Vennie was always too fat and I was trying to make traj simulator work (it does, but not well).

I like an emphasis on just using a big gun now (like Rey in the Falcon). Vennie, Rey, Perceptive, VTG and Pattern Analyzer seems to be the best offensive build.

Then put some A-wings around him for support. Dropping Rey would be my first choice, but I don't like it...

Bombs on Vennie seem so good, but just never worked out for me. Tallie was fun, but I never triggered her ability enough.

I do wonder about Rey/Vennie as an option. Both can be beefy, tough to kill and hot like a bus with the right loadouts.

I generally fly Vennie as a gun platform with VTG and C-3po. 

also with 3 a wings

Greer is my favorite,

Zizi is now my second

third is anyone else

I've never got the hang of Lulo, though.

Put heroic on the A-wings, fit advanced optic onto as many A-wings as possible, though not on the bomber, as he usually has 2 calculates, which won't work with optics

Posted (edited)

I ran a bit of Vennie ages ago.  Always with Rose and VTG, frequently with Rey or Finn, often with Pattern Analyzer.  I tried T-70's and/or RZ-2's for wingmates; and once or twice another Starfortress (ouch).  Unfortunately for me, my local meta was (and still is) rife with Imp and Republic Aces, and they just shredded anything with a large base and I kinda gave it up.  But.  Seeing some of the ideas here, I am most tempted.  I think a lean Vennie may be the way to go.  I *really* like @wurms's suggested M9-G8 tote - that obviates the "need" for Rose in most cases, while putting an "extra" three-dice gun on the table.  Wish I'd thought of that.  I also like the idea of 3PO on Vennie, rather than the more expensive Rey, especially if we're already talking about kicking Rose off the ship.  Although, one of the big difficulties facing Vennie and that large base and mediocre dial is a susceptibility to being blocked, which makes me wonder about using Nodin with Korr Sella to carry M9-G8 for the same cost.  You lose that three-dice gun again, but you get guaranteed coordinate, and perhaps a little tougher targeting decisions for your opponent.  So, maybe something like this:

Vennie (56)    
    C-3PO (Resistance) (6)    
Ship total: 72  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 6    

Nodin Chavdri (36)    
    Korr Sella (6)    
    M9-G8 (7)    
Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 4    

Ronith Blario (34)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
Ship total: 39  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Green Squadron Expert (34)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
Ship total: 40  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Everybody is running at i2 for that added movement flexibility.  You can wait to see if Vennie's maneuver is blocked before deciding to coordinate with Nodin.  

Edited by Kleeg005

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

I ran a bit of Vennie ages ago.  Always with Rose and VTG, frequently with Rey or Finn, often with Pattern Analyzer.  I tried T-70's and/or RZ-2's for wingmates; and once or twice another Starfortress (ouch).  Unfortunately for me, my local meta was (and still is) rife with Imp and Republic Aces, and they just shredded anything with a large base and I kinda gave it up.  But.  Seeing some of the ideas here, I am most tempted.  I think a lean Vennie may be the way to go.  I *really* like @wurms's suggested M9-G8 tote - that obviates the "need" for Rose in most cases, while putting an "extra" three-dice gun on the table.  Wish I'd thought of that.  I also like the idea of 3PO on Vennie, rather than the more expensive Rey, especially if we're already talking about kicking Rose off the ship.  Although, one of the big difficulties facing Vennie and that large base and mediocre dial is a susceptibility to being blocked, which makes me wonder about using Nodin with Korr Sella to carry M9-G8 for the same cost.  You lose that three-dice gun again, but you get guaranteed coordinate, and perhaps a little tougher targeting decisions for your opponent.  So, maybe something like this:

Vennie (56)    
    C-3PO (Resistance) (6)    
Ship total: 72  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 6    

Nodin Chavdri (36)    
    Korr Sella (6)    
    M9-G8 (7)    
Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 4    

Ronith Blario (34)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
Ship total: 39  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Green Squadron Expert (34)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
Ship total: 40  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Everybody is running at i2 for that added movement flexibility.  You can wait to see if Vennie's maneuver is blocked before deciding to coordinate with Nodin.  

I'm looking at that Green expert, and wondering if cutting it down to a Blue Recruit makes sense, since that'd give Nodin room for Tractor Beam.  Going to 3 dice is nice, and reducing agility for a pair of Optics A-Wings and a double-tapping Vennie is pretty sweet.  Again, credit to SwampyCr; he was running Tractor Nodin last time I flew against his Vennie, and it's kinda scary.  Pull someone into Range 1 of Vennie?  Yikes.

Edited by theBitterFig

23 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I'm looking at that Green expert, and wondering if cutting it down to a Blue Recruit makes sense, since that'd give Nodin room for Tractor Beam.  Going to 3 dice is nice, and reducing agility for a pair of Optics A-Wings and a double-tapping Vennie is pretty sweet.  Again, credit to SwampyCr; he was running Tractor Nodin last time I flew against his Vennie, and it's kinda scary.  Pull someone into Range 1 of Vennie?  Yikes.

That's a good shout.  I was just kinda dumping points.  And half trying to move everything at i2, but I don't think there's a *ton* to be gained by it.

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

It still seems to me that the bomber needs bombs with droid swarms around.  Maybe I'm wrong?  

Depends on your meta.  I'm the only one locally who runs droids.  And I tend towards mini-swarms, myself.  Further, without a Trajectory Simulator, the Resistance Bomber struggles to get a bomb placed usefully, except perhaps occasionally as deterrence to Aces sneaking up on their rear ends.  And once you start paying for both bombs and a Simulator, you've got to cut quite a bit of what makes Vennie solid.

1 hour ago, Kleeg005 said:

Depends on your meta.  I'm the only one locally who runs droids.  And I tend towards mini-swarms, myself.  Further, without a Trajectory Simulator, the Resistance Bomber struggles to get a bomb placed usefully, except perhaps occasionally as deterrence to Aces sneaking up on their rear ends.  And once you start paying for both bombs and a Simulator, you've got to cut quite a bit of what makes Vennie solid.

I always think in terms of the larger, non-local meta....so that's a good point.  Unless I jump in one of the big online events, I probably don't need to consider the larger meta for a while.

Presently trying this build.

Phantom Bombs (56) Vennie [MG-100 StarFortress] (8) Amilyn Holdo (5) Proton Bombs (6) Trajectory Simulator (5) Pattern Analyzer Points: 80

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing] Points: 44

(26) Colossus Station Mechanic [Fireball] (2) R4 Astromech (4) Cloaking Device Points: 32

Total points: 200

Using Holdo to move the cloak token onto Vennie. Have him cloaked, launching and dropping bombs. Blocking the opponent with 3 dice plus focus defence. Also using Holdo to pass the stress back to the CSM, allowing Vennie to hold position. 

Once you uncloak you can still reload and pass the disarm tokens to the Xwings that have already fired and claimed any unused focus tokens for shooting.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 5:04 PM, Tyhar7 said:

Phantom Bombs (56) Vennie [MG-100 StarFortress] (8) Amilyn Holdo (5) Proton Bombs (6) Trajectory Simulator (5) Pattern Analyzer Points: 80

(26) Colossus Station Mechanic [Fireball] (2) R4 Astromech (4) Cloaking Device Points: 32

Using Holdo to move the cloak token onto Vennie. Have him cloaked, launching and dropping bombs. Blocking the opponent with 3 dice plus focus defence. Also using Holdo to pass the stress back to the CSM, allowing Vennie to hold position. 

Once you uncloak you can still reload and pass the disarm tokens to the Xwings that have already fired and claimed any unused focus tokens for shooting.  

Wait...so with Holdo it’s before you engage, so you can then pass the cloak token off of Vennie and shoot still?  Is that correct?  

and if that works then if you put holdo on a transport with the same initiative as Vennie, you can steal the cloak from the csm first rd and then next rd shoot with Vennie, then pass cloak token off and still engage with the transport?  Would have to decloak next rd though unless I’m missing something, but I never thought of that with the fireballs. Might catch ppl off guard.  

Edited by Gokuja04

On 5/18/2020 at 5:04 PM, Tyhar7 said:

10 hours ago, Gokuja04 said:

Wait...so with Holdo it’s before you engage, so you can then pass the cloak token off of Vennie and shoot still?  Is that correct?  

and if that works then if you put holdo on a transport with the same initiative as Vennie, you can steal the cloak from the csm first rd and then next rd shoot with Vennie, then pass cloak token off and still engage with the transport?  Would have to decloak next rd though unless I’m missing something, but I never thought of that with the fireballs. Might catch ppl off guard.  

This is really interesting!  What if you lean into I2 and pass that cloak token back and forth?  The fireball would never lose the token if it doesn't have it, right?  

3 hours ago, gennataos said:

This is really interesting!  What if you lean into I2 and pass that cloak token back and forth?  The fireball would never lose the token if it doesn't have it, right?  

I would think he can’t lose the token anymore once you pass it off.   And this is all assuming you can get rid of the cloak and shoot, but it does say before you engage so I would think so

you wouldn’t be able to pass it back and forth and keep shooting with both ships every round.  When you pass it the first time there’s no way to shoot and give it back without giving up a shot that I can think of.

but still seems rly janky.  I might have to make others lists.  I’m thinking Joph Seastriker could use a cloak token.  Or Rey, just let her tank shots.  Or Finn.  

18 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

@gennataos Out of curiousity, why Tallie and not Greer? I thought you were sold that Greer was better than Tallie. Is it for the simplicity of having two 2's and two 5's? 

There's no real primary target with 5A, so they all need to just do RZ-2 stuff.  Vennie in place of the generics would draw more aggro, so the thought is one can be more aggressive with the A-Wings.  That being the case, Tallie's ability can trigger a fair amount, making Vennie even more tanky.  Also, in extended, I think I5 is pretty relevant.  There's a strong argument for naked L'ulo in place of Tallie, as well.  Also an argument to add Crackshot to Tallie and Zizi.

2 hours ago, gennataos said:

There's no real primary target with 5A, so they all need to just do RZ-2 stuff.  Vennie in place of the generics would draw more aggro, so the thought is one can be more aggressive with the A-Wings.  That being the case, Tallie's ability can trigger a fair amount, making Vennie even more tanky.  Also, in extended, I think I5 is pretty relevant.  There's a strong argument for naked L'ulo in place of Tallie, as well.  Also an argument to add Crackshot to Tallie and Zizi.

Still cooking up some QuadRZ2s, myself. 

It's just too fun not to try. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

It seems like almost every faction is more janky and more scummy than Scum is right now, ha ha.

Clean, force-wielding scum aces are just too good, I guess. 

Edit: 1 point illicit upgrades, anyone? 

Edited by Bucknife

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, gennataos said:

Essentially the text on the cloaking device card only applies to the ship the card is placed on. So Vennie or another ship in the list won't have to roll to lose it .

Plus there is nothing stopping you from having 2 cloak tokens in play that are juggling around your list.

My other list is using similar tactics is a Paige, Nien and Kaz list doing the same thing. 

On that list Paige has intimidation and is Blocking and bombing while cloaked. She is also removing the disarm token from Kaz's slamming, as she can't shoot anyway. Also doing the same for Nien if he black one's. Additionally she can pass off her stress to Nien who can dump it quite efficiently. Plus her and Nien being I5 means he can fire and then she can trade the cloak to him so she can fire.

Also with that list it's good to get two cloak tokens out early to cloak Nien. With 4 defense dice he can get in close, decloak for position and start using red manuever PA shenanigans.

This is a thread for Vennie but some of the same stuff may apply with some other I2's.

Edited by Tyhar7