Sign in to follow this  
DakkaDakka12

So how about those oddball variations?

Many ships have variants that seem pointless and some seem like the variant is a straight downgrade.

Recently one variant that previously seemed pointless has gained some value because of salvo, the Assault Frigate MK 2 A, a ship that previously seemed overpriced for no benefit, but might have some value with Local Fire Control+Paragon title.

I thought it might be fun to take the less used variants of ships and find builds that can make them superior to their more commonly used variant.

I am not saying these variants are bad, but I struggle to see a reason to use these variants over their other variants, or other ships.

Rebel

Cr-90B -I barely put this one on the list because I can see use of this ship but it is highly risky because you risk your only real defense tokens.

Hammerhead Scout -why use this over a CR-90A? the only thinks that come to mind are Disposable capacitors or pocket carrier shenanigans.

MC-75 Armored Cruiser -In an Akbar fleet this variant is great, but outside of that is there any reason to use it over an Ordinance cruiser if you want to brawl, or a Mc-80 if you want to broadside?

Empire

Gladiator II -One red dice in the side arc and an extra flack dice and it costs more...I see no upside to this.

Imperial I Class Star Destroyer -It does have 2 offensive retrofit slots, but other than making a very expensive carrier that is marginally better than the ISD-II, the dice variety seems bad, you cannot even modify your black dice.

Interdictor Combat Refit -You swap 1 blue dice for a red on each side which you cannot modify because you only have a ion weapon slot, and you give up an experimental slot, you know that upgrade slot that makes this ship cost so much more than a Victory...

All of these variants seem like their alternate variant or another ship available to their faction can perform better in any role.

If anyone has builds that can make these variants very much worth the trouble, shoot away.

If anyone thinks another variant belongs on this list, let me know!

12 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Gladiator II -One red dice in the side arc and an extra flack dice and it costs more...I see no upside to this.

Imperial I Class Star Destroyer -It does have 2 offensive retrofit slots, but other than making a very expensive carrier that is marginally better than the ISD-II, the dice variety seems bad, you cannot even modify your black dice.

GladII - A Red Die means an Accuracy ...  An accuracy can me unbraceable damage *on top* of the APT/ACM Shenanigans you've got going on with Demolisher.  Yes, it costs more points to do so, but a minimum 33% increase in overall damage can certainly be worth it.

Imp-I - Battle Carrier Extraordinare, and Leading Shots modifies them just fine.

Back in the Wave II world, you never saw Imp-IIs...  They were "Too expensive" for the "damage reduction" you got through Blue Dice instead of Black Dice.  Funny how things evolve?

GSD2s are great for Demo flakking + Kallus. Kallus gives black dice for OE too. 

46 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Hammerhead scout can push out 4 red dice at long range for a measly 50 points with TFO and Slaved Turrets. One of them might not seem scary, but when you got 3 of em? That is a lot of long range dice.

What's TFO again? 

2 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Cr-90B -I barely put this one on the list because I can see use of this ship but it is highly risky because you risk your only real defense tokens.

Hammerhead Scout -why use this over a CR-90A? the only thinks that come to mind are Disposable capacitors or pocket carrier shenanigans.

MC-75 Armored Cruiser -In an Akbar fleet this variant is great, but outside of that is there any reason to use it over an Ordinance cruiser if you want to brawl, or a Mc-80 if you want to broadside?

CR-90Bs with SW-7 Ion Batteries push through 5 reliable damage when double arcing. There are also useful in their CRambo Variant with Engine Techs. The CR-90B is usually only worth a consideration with Rieekan or Mon Mothma though.

Hammerheads Scout with Slaved Turrets fire 4 red dice for cheaper and on a wider arc than Nebulons with rerolls available from Task Force Organa titles.

MC-75 Armored Cruiser offer carrier options through their weapons team slot most notable Flight Controllers and Ruthless Strategist, while having a stronger front and scarier double arc than the MC80 Command Cruiser. They are a beefed up version of the Assault Frigate MK II B carriers (with Gallant Haven usually).  I found the Armored Cruiser quiet successful in Y-Wing swarms with Ruthless and Ordnance Pods.

Glad IIs sometimes show up with Kallus and Flechettes to shut squadballs down while still being decent enough against ships. 

CR90Bs remain good Profundity drop ships with your choice of ion effect. 

Posted (edited)

Unlike the Ordnance Cruiser (which wants OE), Armored Cruisers can take a boarding team.

Slap BTs or Shriv on there, keep the External Racks, and go hunting.  Ideally it still gets that close range double arc, but in a pinch it can also 1-shot flotillas and hurt small bases.

With the newfound popularity of DCO (not to mention how widespread Brunson is), I would consider it the "better" variant or at least less susceptible to bad matchups.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

At this point the only ships on the list to me would be the Interdictor Combat and GR75 Combat. 

Does anybody Run the Arquitens command? That’s one I’ve never seen run either

1 minute ago, Church14 said:

People used to run Tarquitens with engine techs. I am of the opinion that Arquitens are over costed for both variants though.

22 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

People used to run Tarquitens with engine techs. I am of the opinion that Arquitens are over costed for both variants though.

Ok. The engine techs point makes sense

@Dupy has run Romodi Command Arqs with AST. I came up with a similar list after seeing his, but I haven't run it yet. 

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: General Romodi

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Arquitens-class Command Cruiser (59 points)
-  General Romodi  ( 20  points)
-  Expert Shield Tech  ( 5  points)
-  Auxiliary Shields Team  ( 3  points)
-  Cluster Bombs  ( 5  points)
-  Linked Turbolaser Towers  ( 7  points)
= 99 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Command Cruiser (59 points)
= 79 total ship cost

= 79 total ship cost

= 79 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
 Suppressor  ( 4  points)
-  Disposable Capacitors  ( 3  points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points)
= 32 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Darth Vader (off)  ( 1  points)
-  Disposable Capacitors  ( 3  points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points)
= 29 total ship cost

= 0 total squadron cost

Regarding the GR75 combat retrofit. Not a huge success but in a rebel fleet running around with IF! (Think dumpster fire type) it it’s not terrible.  It’s at least fun, does some slicing (if equipped) and tosses two blues (with a con fire) that almost always equal 2 damage with IF!. Not a lot but annoying when you get shot 4 other times that turn as well and helps with activation count. 

A very small niche (like minuscule) but it’s there. Also, helps that everyone assumes it can’t shoot so doesn’t pay it any attention. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Admiral Calkins said:

7 x CR90Bs w/ SW-7s (with either Mon Mothma or Cracken) may not be a very competitive list, but it sure is a fun one to fly.

One of my favorite lists, albeit tends to be total jank:

7x naked CR90Bs

1 Pelta assault with Intensify Firepower, Raymus Antilles, Engine Techs, ExRax

Reiikan

Ahsoka on one of the CR90s.

Stupid fun, with a heavy emphasis on the stupid.

5 minutes ago, BrickDaniels said:

One of my favorite lists, albeit tends to be total jank:

7x naked CR90Bs

1 Pelta assault with Intensify Firepower, Raymus Antilles, Engine Techs, ExRax

Reiikan

Ahsoka on one of the CR90s.

Stupid fun, with a heavy emphasis on the stupid.

Stupid fun is still fun.  And your list looks (stupid) fun.

The command kittens with ET are hard to pin down.  I do think Jer Jerod makes for a better commander for them than ramodi. Throw in redundant shields and you can Jerry turn at will and CF for a constant 4 dice out the side.

ISD I is the preferred Avenger / Boarding Troopers platform. A Kuat in the same role has more straight damage potential thanks to its Ordnance upgrade slot, but will only only lock down two tokens.

7 hours ago, Church14 said:

At this point the only ships on the list to me would be the Interdictor Combat and GR75 Combat. 

Gr75 combat is a flak machine with Toryn. Also synergises with most wanted and opening salvo

3 hours ago, Formynder4 said:

@duck_bird has me curious about getting a combat GR-75 with Draven on the table. Let's Toryn boost some incredibly strong flak. 

Not great in reality. Helpful against generics but most with counter or intel have scatters and braces so the extra die is kinda meh. Toryn is already good for the rule of 1 theory.