Sign in to follow this  
Maryshelly2

Please teach me how to win

I just got this game and I find it a challenge.  I tried playing the solo Spider-man deck and I won only twice (barely).  I tried playing with Captain Marvel and lost.  I like rookie mode which means we just beat the first level, but standard is a challenge.  I imagine that the starter decks are not ideal and deck customization is a must.  I worry that if this is difficulty 1 with Rhino, I will get crushed in the other scenarios.  Any suggestions?

On 5/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, Maryshelly2 said:

I just got this game and I find it a challenge.  I tried playing the solo Spider-man deck and I won only twice (barely).  I tried playing with Captain Marvel and lost.  I like rookie mode which means we just beat the first level, but standard is a challenge.  I imagine that the starter decks are not ideal and deck customization is a must.  I worry that if this is difficulty 1 with Rhino, I will get crushed in the other scenarios.  Any suggestions?

Probably the most basic of strategy tips would be to stay in Hero mode as much as possible--especially in solo play--because every time you enter the villain phase in Alter-Ego there's a significantly higher chance of the villain Scheming too much and you losing.

Building new decks will certainly help, and I would suggest getting Ms Marvel as her pack has some really strong cards that I would consider staples (Downtime/Endurance) as well as the one of the very few cards in the game so far that allows you to confuse the villain, making it much easier to flip to AE so you can heal when you need you, and make use of the larger hand size.

I'd also suggest that you might try playing two-handed? Rhino solo is uniquely challenging in solo due to the extremely low threat cap and his Main Scheme only having one stage.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, Maryshelly2 said:

I had a very similar experience when I started, namely with Spider-Man vs Rhino. Here’s a few tips I’ve learned after loosing... a lot.

•Be aware of when it’s safe to switch to alter-ego. Solo vs Rhino can easily go from 0 to 7 threat without warning, this is probably the main source of my losses. The threat curve is not as swingy with the other villains in the core set. 

• Don’t be afraid to use good cards as resources. A hero like Spider-Man has many reactive cards in his kit, which I would find my self holding onto until the right moment. All this did was give the villain a lead over my board state. You’re going to get a new set of 5-6 cards every round so make sure they count.

•Pay attention to your deck building. Certain cards like Great responsibility have a place in multiplayer, but will rarely be used in solo. Build your deck for the format that you’re playing.

•Keep playing. This game had a weird learning curve to me. The more you play the more you’ll get an instinct with what’s going on, and when you should play certain cards.

• Buy the Captain America hero pack. Seriously, Cap’s kit is very versatile and can do pretty much everything. It’s a very good starting hero until you learn the game. Once you have a good grip on things try using the other heroes and see who you like.

Hopefully this helps you a bit. I had a very hard time and thought I wasted money on another LCG, but now I’m very happy with this game and can’t wait for new content to be released. I hope you stick with it, good luck. 

35 minutes ago, KimJoshIl said:

Buy the Captain America hero pack.

Fair enough. Cap is a very solid Hero who’s relatively easy to play well, even if some of the other cards in his kit aren’t as important to building decks.

Posted (edited)

Buying other heroes can help but you definitely can win with just what you are given in the core set. I would also recommend trying two-handed. Each aspect has a strength and having two heroes with different aspects gives you two strengths. It can be harder to keep track of everything though obviously.

It is hard to help without knowing exactly what someone is doing when they play though. Information on how you are most often losing would help for example (threat getting too high or hero being killed?)

Three common mistakes I think new players make (and I know from experience)

1. Holding on to cards for rounds. As KimJoshIl said above sometimes you have a card you think will be useful later so you hold it. Or you have a card that costs 4 and only have three others so you hold them all to draw another and pay for it next turn. In general though you should be emptying as much of your hand as you can every turn. Figure out what you can use in your hand right now even if you don't think it is optimal. There are rare occasions where there is a card you really need and can't pay for right now but you should use every other possible card in your hand. Theoretically all of the cards in your deck should be useful so you shouldn't worry too much about what you are drawing next, plus a good card discarded can always come back later. Playing as many cards as you can insures your deck will recycle faster so you can use those good cards more than once (you have to take an extra encounter card when the deck runs out but it is worth it to replenish your resources). 

2. Not blocking with your hero. It seems like a waste to have your hero sitting exhausted and useless in your player phase because they blocked in the villain phase. You want to attack or thwart or do something active with the hero! But the reality is you will often rely on the card abilities in your deck to attack and remove threat while your hero is a punching bag. That is because as SpiderMana said above you want to remain in hero form more often than not, and the only way to do that is to minimize the villain's attack by blocking it (assuming you don't have a card like Spider-Man's Backflip to avoid it). 

3. Not blocking with your allies. This is similar to the above. It is natural to want to hold on to your friends as long as you can.* You might be thinking if they can take one more hit of incidental damage then it would be a waste to have them die now when they can attack or thwart one more turn. Them sacrificing with a block is most often the more useful option though. When they are low on HP anyway or your hero is or you know the villain has a big attack lined up, let the ally take the blow for you. That is what they are there for. This again allows you to keep going in hero form and not having to recover yourself. (*There are some exceptions in certain allies that you want to stick around. Black Cat because she can attack without taking incidental damage, Black Widow for her treachery cancelling ability, Hawkeye if he has arrow counters, etc. But many allies only have an ability that is used when they enter play. And any of them should be ready to be sacrificed with a block though when you really need it. Obviously Nick Fury should always be a block because he leaves at the end of the phase anyway)

Edited by Cable2

On 5/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, Maryshelly2 said:

In my experience deck building is totally unnecessary up to Expert mode. Any of the heroes can take the basic decks from the core set (or even swap in one of the expansion heroes prebuilts) and succeed.

Part of this is that those basic decks and most hero signature sets are already well balanced. They typically come with tools for acceleration (card draw, and resource generation), attacking, and thwarting.

So, it’s not necessarily what you have, but how you apply it, and each of the three aspects goes about it in a slightly different manner.

Before you play again, take a look at the deck you want to use. Establish three ideas in your mind:

What cards are going to constitute my “board”? (These are typically the permanents or semi-permanent cards; they frequently feature deck acceleration, bonuses to basic stats, or new action options)

What cards do I have that are able to manage the threat on the main scheme and side schemes and under what conditions can I use them? (For example, Spider-Man’s Spider Tracers do a lot, but are reliant on an enemy minion being in play. This is important because, apart from suffering lethal damage, this is your loss condition.)

What cards do I have that can get rid of minions or damage the villain? (This is your win condition). 

How did you end up losing with Captain Marvel?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:52 PM, Derrault said:

How did you end up losing with Captain Marvel?

I found her actually tougher than Spider Man.  I thought she would be easy but I must have gotten crushed under getting pummeled by Rhino, or getting the Threat level too high.  At least with Spider Man I was able to pull off a few moves to score a win.   Is she easier than Spider Man?  Unless I am playing wrong I do find the game pretty punishing.   I will try some of the tips given in this forum though. 

2 hours ago, peterstepon said:

I found her actually tougher than Spider Man.  I thought she would be easy but I must have gotten crushed under getting pummeled by Rhino, or getting the Threat level too high.  At least with Spider Man I was able to pull off a few moves to score a win.   Is she easier than Spider Man?  Unless I am playing wrong I do find the game pretty punishing.   I will try some of the tips given in this forum though. 

I think they were trying to ask if your struggle was more with threat or damage, not saying it should be impossible to lose with her.

She is pretty strong overall, but all of the Heroes play a little differently. If you play her a bit more you’ll probably figure her out.

Ah, sorry, I understand now.  I think the issue with Captain Marvel was that she was a bit of a glass cannon, lots of offensive power but low defence.  I think I took lots of damage and the threat jumped up when I switched to her alter ego.  Spider man is much tougher with the leap card to avoid incoming attacks.  That is what kept me alive, along with those roundhouse kicks for causing damage.

Gotcha! She does have a lot of cards to help with that. +1 DEF from the helmet, discard Cosmic Flight to take less damage from attacks, and her Hero ability heals her. Definitely takes some getting used to to make use of everything the best.

4 hours ago, peterstepon said:

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I think they were trying to ask if your struggle was more with threat or damage, not saying it should be impossible to lose with her.

She is pretty strong overall, but all of the Heroes play a little differently. If you play her a bit more you’ll probably figure her out.

2 hours ago, Maryshelly2 said:

Ah, sorry, I understand now.  I think the issue with Captain Marvel was that she was a bit of a glass cannon, lots of offensive power but low defence.  I think I took lots of damage and the threat jumped up when I switched to her alter ego.  Spider man is much tougher with the leap card to avoid incoming attacks.  That is what kept me alive, along with those roundhouse kicks for causing damage.

Yes, I was asking the method, not expressing incredulity.

I’d say that you shouldn’t bother with offense until the moment you’re ready to finish the villain, up until then focus on building your board, thwarting down schemes, and keeping any minions off the board.

That and to flip frequently to get the most out of her identity abilities.